Is this the right compressor?

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Is this the right compressor?

Post by Jaf »

Hi guys. After much thought I've bought a second hand compressor. In the end I couldn't afford a new one and this way I'll have the original compressor to look at and possibly recondition myself. The bloke said I can change it if it's wrong and there's a 2 month warranty.

Of course the sticker on the original compressor has long gone so I can't compare. There is a stamped number of 6560502.

The replacement compressor is a Sanden and has a sticker which says SD7V16 and 0493109324 and is stamped 3906BR.

On the net they quote the numbers as ID: 14-7486 and OE PartNo: 6453L5/6453FE/9613260680/96404
/1218/1172. These numbers don't seem to correspond with anything.

Anyone know?

Many thanks!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Use the "duck test". If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck - it probably is a duck.

So - does it look the same and fit the same?

If so, drain and refill the oil with matching type and volume to your car (PAG or glycol ester - be sure you know which).
Jaf
My Cars:

Re: Is this the right compressor?

Post by Jaf »

Thanks for your reply addo. There's no difference internally then? Looks the same at first glance, fingers crossed!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The main concern is the connectors for the pipes, the Xantia had two different sets, one with screw on pipes, and the other where the pipes are held on by a screw on plate.
Other than that depending on which company made it, the pulley was a different size so you may need a different length aux belt.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Having compared where the pipes joined it looked ok. Took it to the air con guy in the end, couldn't be bothered going back and forth getting the gas empted and refilled, and it's now working lovely.

Does having the air con on normally make the engine a lot hotter? Got upto 100 just now with both rad fans going. Normally she runs around 80 - 90, and only gets to 100 on a horribly long, steep hill. Have broken the speedo now but that's another story!

Thanks again
Hotrodelectric

Post by Hotrodelectric »

Jaf wrote:Having compared where the pipes joined it looked ok. Took it to the air con guy in the end, couldn't be bothered going back and forth getting the gas empted and refilled, and it's now working lovely.

Does having the air con on normally make the engine a lot hotter? Got upto 100 just now with both rad fans going. Normally she runs around 80 - 90, and only gets to 100 on a horribly long, steep hill. Have broken the speedo now but that's another story!

Thanks again
Not so much that it makes the engine run hotter, but rather it puts an additional large thermal load on the radiator. Do this if you're able: Just break the rad away from the mount enough so you can see the front of the rad. If it looks like some blockage, that will need to be cleaned out. I remember a Corvette once that came in for an overheating problem. There was so much cr*p jammed in between the radiator and the condenser that there literally was zero airflow getting through. We wound up having to replace the radiator. Also, make sure your cooling system is up to spec- correct anti freeze in the correct ratio, coolant reservoir properly full, any system caps holding pressure properly, hoses in good order, no leaks anywhere, no 'mud' in the system, thermostat working- all that.

What does the owners manual say about running at 100C? To my ears, that sounds normal, but some US market stuff has been at 215-220F for several years now.