205 XS Coolant Level Sensor Problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jg_uk

205 XS Coolant Level Sensor Problem

Post by jg_uk »

Hi there,
The warning light on my 205 XS (1988) is indicating low coolant level even though the overflow reservoir is full and the engine is not overheating.
Is this a faulty sensor and if so where is it and how easy is it to replace?
Also can I open the radiator and fill it up instead of refilling the overflow reservoir?
Can anyone help?
Many thanks
Jo
lindsay
My Cars:

Post by lindsay »

i have a peugeot 205 trio xs 1991 and i had the problem of over heating first flush the water system and rad take the hoses off and put a hose pipe through(i actually put kettle descaller through the water system on the engine but i wouldnt advise it) flush until water is clear put new water loads of anti freeze in get a new thermostat halfords £8.99 try it again if it still says its over heating there is a copper heat sensor just below the distributor just replace it(i got mine from the local scrap yard) this should ease the problem also if the carb is set up properly and not burning to rich buy a new water pump ive done all of these and it is fine now, also if you move the distributor round and the ticks over better it means that the electrical timing was slightly out (also happened to my 205) all things i done were cheap the car now runs perfect, GOOD LUCK.
sub
jg_uk

Post by jg_uk »

Many thanks for the detailed advice. Flushed the radiator, did not work. Next replaced coolant level sensor. Seems to have done the trick. Many thanks again
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
i have a peugeot 205 trio xs 1991 and i had the problem of over heating first flush the water system and rad take the hoses off and put a hose pipe through(i actually put kettle descaller through the water system on the engine but i wouldnt advise it) flush until water is clear put new water loads of anti freeze in get a new thermostat halfords £8.99 try it again if it still says its over heating there is a copper heat sensor just below the distributor just replace it(i got mine from the local scrap yard) this should ease the problem also if the carb is set up properly and not burning to rich buy a new water pump ive done all of these and it is fine now, also if you move the distributor round and the ticks over better it means that the electrical timing was slightly out (also happened to my 205) all things i done were cheap the car now runs perfect, GOOD LUCK.
sub
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>