wondering why

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mark_sp

wondering why

Post by mark_sp »

There was recently a wondering why thread and that got me to wondering why:
Citroen did not divorce the damping effect from the sphere, say by means of an electro valve that sat in front of the sphere.
That could then be controlled by the driver (within a suitable range) from the cabin to provide the level of comfort (softness) desired ?
Mark
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

lol i have no idea what youre talking about. Do you normally think about such things when drinking high percentage alchohol on your top patio? :D
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Mark
Hah! You've been basking again [}:)]
Why?
The standard arrangement is 100% reliable - nothing to go wrong
If you introduce unneccessary complication, it will go wrong; for those brave souls who let garage gorillas near their cars, you have another item that the 17 year old apprentice has no idea of the function of, and if let loose on it, would be added to the list of things that do not work properly and hasten the approach of the car's eat-by date.
Why should you <b>need</b> to adjust the damping rate?
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

now im not so beer induced I see what you mean and it does seem like a good idea. Ive been in cars that have had adjustable suspension on the fly.
100% reliable? I dont take much notice of them as they arent relevant to my zx but im sure I see lots of bx/xantia posts about redoing lhm's or something and fixing leaks in the suspension? :)
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Okay
may have been the effects of sunlight and Brandy but still think its feasible. I do take the point about added complication though but I don't think it would be much more complicated than Hydractive.
Mark
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">100% reliable? I dont take much notice of them as they arent relevant to my zx but im sure I see lots of bx/xantia posts about redoing lhm's or something and fixing leaks in the suspension? :)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Darren
I was referring to the dampers - bits of metal with a calibrated hole in them - not to the suspension in general.
However, IMHO, oleopneumatic suspension costs less to maintain than conventional springs/dampers, <b>providing:</b>
It is not abused - i.e. spheres are changed periodically and LHM is changed (on a conventional setup, you need to change the brake fluid more often, anyhow!)
No repairs are carried out by people who cannot figure out how it works
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Rules out the citroen dealer network then, Mike.
In principle, the remote damping valve looks like a good idea but if it ain't broke...
Besides, all the electric dampers in the world haven't got near Citroen ride comfort.
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Rules out the citroen dealer network then, Mike. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I was hoping someone would interpret it thus, Tom [:D]