totally out of order !?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

I have my brake light switch set slightly before the actual brake activates, it was like that when i got the car, but very usefull!
Another thing that seems to work is engine brakeing with a diesel. Most of the nice 60mph runs round here are broken up with 30 limits here there and everywhere, and with good reason, so i always enter at 30 (most have very sharp corners or pre-schools etc). So bumbling along and use the brake to start slowing down, then engine brake and you go from 60 to 30 in a very short space, strangely the idiot tail gating doesnt after that!
The old tow bar was the best tailgate deteroant though :D
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
My dad had a good one the other year on the M1
Everybody stopped very quickly, He pulled up & stopped, Bloke behind in the Vectra didnt.
Almighty loud bang, My dads vechile went forward a few feet.
Got out expecting the back to be wrecked, only damage was the bolt the holds the rear bumper corner to the wheel arch was broken.
The Vectra was a write off, airbags out, total wreck!
Got home that evening & stuck a new bolt in, had a look under & spotted a great big steel beam behind the bumper & connected to the chassis.
Not bad for a P plate VW Caddy van! lol & 1 less Vectra on the road.
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

I'm getting back to original thread with this one!
I'm in a bad mood and I feel like a grouchy old man, so I start ranting about; people not wearing their seatbelts, using their mobile phones, having small unrestrained children in the front seat, tailgating, driving too fast, not indicating, lane discipline on roundabouts, jumping red lights and not parking too well.
And then I realise I'm 32 not 70, why am I trying to put the world to rights. No wonder my blood pressure is through the roof!![:(!]
If I find myself stood by the side of the road warning motorists of a speed trap I'd expect to be charged, to the full limit of the law!!
Banning him from driving, that was like telling a deaf man not to listen to music as a punishment. Why did he bring it to the attention of the press??
Those speeding motorists were doing so of their own free will, if a speed camera is just over the brow of the hill, then.....TUFF LUCK!!
The general public are just that, general... your average motorist will most likely have a total disregard for the laws of the land.
There aren't enough police to cover several million motorists misbehaving so chances are, statistically speaking, I'll get away with it....a common line of reasoning, perhaps?
I don't regard speeding as a dangerous offence, whereas jumping red lights is 'looney tunes' dangerous. How many hundreds of people a year are involved in accidents involving red light jumpers?? How many die from speeding??
The speeding motorist is the one who normally plows into the car that just pulls out, or doesn't indicate, or jumps a red light. The speeding doesn't kill him its the sudden de-celeration from hitting the vehicle doing 5mph that just pulled out on him/her.
I read all the time about young motorists being killed speeding, but how many had to swerve to avoid a Range Rover that just pulled out, driven by Phil the pensioner in his pension mobile. (Large brand new cars purchased with a gratuity from pension.) You know you've seen them, don't deny it.
Well I'll stop ranting now, the Prozac is kicking in[:D]
All thoughts are welcome, I like a good discussion.[:)]
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> read all the time about young motorists being killed speeding, but how many had to swerve to avoid a Range Rover that just pulled out, driven by Phil the pensioner in his pension mobile. (Large brand new cars purchased with a gratuity from pension.) You know you've seen them, don't deny it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
An acquaintance of mine was killed last year in precisely this manner, although I believe that his speed was ruled out as a factor - unusual in this speed-obsessed culture. He wasn't quite in the first flush of youth either (early 40s).
But then the slow, doddering 80-odd year old pensioner in the 4x4 wagon shouldn't have been allowed on the road in the first place - Any normal person turning right across a 60mph road with an oncoming blind bend is going to complete the action in the shortest possible time rather than creeping across at sub walking pace as actually happened. Oh, and it was dark too, she should have noticed the oncoming headlights and <i>got a flaming move on!</i>
In this case, it was the <b>lack</b> of speed that killed...
Stu.
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

One interesting event last year concerning speedtraps. There is a village in Northumberland that holds a "Scarecrow" festival every year to raise money for various local chaities. On the entrance to the village there was a scarecrow in full refelctive coat and hat with a hairdryer pointing towards the on comming traffic.
It was interesting to watch all the drivers approaching the village braking when they saw the scarecrow.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Questions have been asked in Parliament about this. Some Smug and self righteous Government apparachnik Gloated about the fact that they can now take away your ticket in this country for any reason they F well like. They can also lock you up without trial, take your children away without evidence of wrongdoing and steal your money if they can suggest that you are a criminal "He has car keys, m'lud."
There is no longer anything to be proud about if you are British.
We have been reduced to a police state where the people are just a cash cow for the Government when they want the money for a war and a bloody nuisance the rest of the time. As soon as I have finished paying for the house in France, I am out of here and good riddance.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

How can we be a police state? Where's all the bl**dy police?
Answering my own question, they're sitting in lay-bys, on verges, in hedgerows etc. or mutated into little grey/yellow boxes on poles... Never an actual copper when you need one though. Unless you try to blow their cover to oncoming motorists, that is. Let's face it, crime in this country is almost nonexistent, so the powers that be have to criminalise ordinary citizens going about their lawful business in order to justify their continued existence. The police farce seem to be nothing more than an executive agency of the DVLA nowadays, despite doing b***er all to remove the truly dangerous muppets out there. CCs like Richard Brunstrom don't help their cause, either.
OK, I'll stop ranting now...
Stu.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

crime is none existent??? WTF! where the flipin heck do you live????????
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

/quote
"Beware of the Software Engineer with a screwdriver..."
Cheeky! Saying that, Stu, I don't class myself as a Soft-top, more a multi-skilled Engineer. I actually resent being called a Software Engineer sometimes; it implies I don't live in the real world!
Phil the Commissioning Engineer....
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Tailgaters, dontchalovem! just slow down gradually, I've been tailgated down to 15 mph until reason prevails.[:)]
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

I live in a small close of 8 houses; bloke in the house opposite the entance to the house trades/sharks cars and parks his non-taxed heaps in the close; usual nausea, plod descends erratically, mutters and whizzes of. A fireman lives in the close, one of life's gentlemen - buys licences when he doesn't need to; forgets his tax and low and behold an £80.00 Sorn. Last week the shark has an Audi A4 with BMW tax disc in Close, plod notified - nothing.
There is no justice and life ain't fair. The UK is a Police State and Big Brother is watching you.[:(!]
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Hmm. Is this really true? The man wasn;t driving so how could a driving ban be applied? I'd take this with a pinch of salt until the facts come to light through reliable media. Has anyone got a newspaper with the facts explained?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kafkaian</i>

Hmm. Is this really true?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It's very much true. The guy had a driving ban handed down and also had to pay £364 costs to the court in Aldershot, Hampshire. New powers given to magistrates in last year's Criminal Justice Bill.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Justice? My arse!
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> I'd take this with a pinch of salt until the facts come to light through reliable media<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Unusual to see the words 'facts', 'reliable' and 'media' in the same sentence..........[;)]