205 wheel arches

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

joshm

205 wheel arches

Post by joshm »

Hi,
I have a white 205 GT ('91) and the wheel arches are also coloured white. It would appear that there is some sort of factoy-applied corrosion protection but I'm wondering whether it would be good advice to re-seal the arches using waxoil or similar. If I do this my guess is that I would have to steam-clean/degrease the arches as they syand now.
Have other people done this on their Peugeots, or am I being over-cautious?
Cheers, Josh
joshm

Post by joshm »

Well, I degreased the arches using engine degreaser and applied some clear waxoyl. After leaving it overnight I came down to find the waxoyl was still unset and it looked a bit silly. So I removed the waxoyl again and am in the process of applying black underbody sealant to the arches (carefully masking off the parts I don't want touched - e.g. springs, dampers, brakes). All is going well so far and I'm pleased with the result after doing the first arch.
Apart from giving me peace of mind I think the car looks better with black arches.
Josh
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Is there any sign of decay in the existing rust proofer? If not I'd leave it.
beefcurtains1977

Post by beefcurtains1977 »

I think you will find that luckily all body panels for most PUGs are galvanised and therefore pretty rust proof. As long as the gavanised area is not cracked or has a broken surface you should not have any probs. The pugs really only rust when they have had crappy repair work done to them.