Citroens that run on bio-ethanol ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

charentejohn
My Cars:

Citroens that run on bio-ethanol ?

Post by charentejohn »

Looking for a car and found an ad. for a Renault 1.6 petrol which said it used Bio-ethanol, here that is 0.90 instead of 1.65 Euros.

I tried finding info for a 2001 Xsara 1.6 petrol but no info on running on Bio-ethanol. It doesn't help that I don't know what the difference is between that and petrol (apart that it comes from plants ?)
I assume it is like octane ratings and engines so they will all run on any petrol like fuel but if you don't use the right one there will be damage over time ?
If they are trying to move off petrol then the alternatives have to work in any engine, I would guess. So can this be used in a 10 yr old petrol Citroen.

Any eco warriors out there know ? :) I'm not an eco warrior just like the idea of half price fuel, if it saves the planet as well then that is just a bonus. My main motives are entirely mercenary though....
You must be the change you want to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
Xantia HDI 90SX C3 2005 and C3 2006 both 1.4i sensodrives
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Citroëns that run on bio-ethanol ?

Post by Clogzz »

All Citroens from the year 2000 will drink petrol with amounts of ethanol to 15%.
As for saving the planet, it will be from uprisings because growing fuel uses farmland.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

I thought that myself and did wonder how much fuel an acre of plants produce, similar to corn oil I guess.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shows usage, I think I have seen something on producing bio ethanol fuel chemically rather than growing it so maybe something there. Seems some places using 25% mix in petrol already.

All fuel has an enegy cost so no way round it, the best is always going to be the lesser of many evils. Just depends what the best way is to produce fuel as it will always be produced while they are making cars.
There is always this http://www.mdi.lu/english/cityflowair.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I see they have made it dual fuel to appease the oil lobby and to make it taxable I guess. Maybe the future but not for a while yet ?

I had never heard of using 100% ethanol in a car though and wondered how the engine would cope.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

A few Saab 9-3's and 9-5's were produced that ran Bio-Ethanol. From memory its not quite as efficient as petrol but more powerful, at the last count there were only 8-10 filling stations in the UK that sold Bio so few were sold.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
charentejohn
My Cars:

Post by charentejohn »

That is the problem with this sort of thing, nice idea but no supply. Same as electric cars which need charging stations so you don't run out.
I will look around here to see just how many do ethanol, I know of one only at the moment. That raises another question I guess, can the ethanol and petrol be mixed, I would assume so.
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

A friend who has a house in France bought device that plugs into the ECU for his 4 litre Jeep! so it can run on Ethanol and petrol.
Cost about 150 euro but I don't know if he's fitted it yet.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk
Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Post by Spaces »

There's a third less energy in bio-ethanol, so the fueling needs to be increased accordingly. It will stand a very high compression ratio, that's where Saab made the difference up.
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

It might be a good idea in France. As someone has already said, 15% Ethanol is Ok and commonplace there. In the UK, people were getting started with the idea and SAAB did have a couple of very decent engines. Then the Government tapered off the initial tax advantages so pump Bio was hardly any cheaper than pump petrol, that killed it off. South America, plenty of sun and more space than people, can grow sugar and make ethanol, so I think Brazil uses lots. I wonder if theer is a Citroen Brazil website that would help you?. Its not just the engines: thngs like rubber seals in the fuel lines have to be right as well, but anything recent should be.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »