Speed limit tolerance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Was it a fixed or mobile camera?
If it was a mobile camera I may have some advice for you.
Sign the NIP, refuse the fixed penalty, plead not guilty. When you get your court date ask for full disclosure of the video to prepare your defence. So far nobody has been able to get that, if they don't come up with it 7 days before the court date then you have no case to answer and can claim your costs. It won't come to court though, the CPS are just dropping the cases. Doesn't say much for the reliablility of the camera.
They will try to bully you into taking the fixed penalty because if you go to court the camera partnership doesn't get any of your money. You'll get threatened with £1000 fine and extra points but in reality people wo do go to court come away with much less.
If it's a fixed camera then things are different but there may be a loophole in the definition of 'keeper' and who is legally responsible for knowing who was driving.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Homer. No information is given pertaining to the camera, the only referance to it is as follows:. "On 18/05/2004 at 13;11 at A46 SWAINSWICK BY-PASS Bath (facing Batheaston) motor vehicle Blah blah Cit Avan Diesel did exceed 50 MPH SPEED LIMIT (CAMERA) contrary to S81 (1) RTRA 84. The recorded speed was 65 MPH.
Thats all there is about the offence, the other 3 pages/forms are just about payment-appeal proceedures, etc etc..
There are no houses or anything along this particular duel carriageway so I can only assume the police put the camera there as it is a steep hill and very easy to exceed 50 miles an hour by accident. Visually it looks like a mini motorway, entry and exit are via slip roads..
I didn't see a camera warning but as I was passing 3 lorries (large vans) in convoy at the time, the sign was probably hidden by them. Traffic was very light at the time, unlimited visability, and going downhill.. Ideal overtaking conditions for an N/A diesel.. [:D] [:I]
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My wife recently got a fine & points from a bloody gatso.60 in a 40 zone.Dual carrigeway,4 lanes,central crash barrier,no houses.First offence.Ok,theres a time & a place for speeding,we all do it,you take the chance.But first offence.....
It pees me off when you can beat the living daylights out of somebody,or break into somebodys house & get let of with a caution!!!!!
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

Hi Homer. No information is given pertaining to the camera<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
They never do. If it was a fixed camera then I assumed you would ahve seen it.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">There are no houses or anything along this particular duel carriageway so I can only assume the police put the camera there as it is a steep hill and very easy to exceed 50 miles an hour by accident. Visually it looks like a mini motorway, entry and exit are via slip roads..<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Favourite haunts for the Talivans, is there a bridge over it at any point? Don't suppose you noticed what seemed to be a maintenance van parked up anywhere? A favourite trick is to pick a bridge at the bottom of a hill where they know they will get a good return on their money. Park on top where they get a good view and snap away. Unfortunately for them (and us) it's not the way they are supposed to go about it.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I didn't see a camera warning <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Most of the time mobile cameras don't require warning signs under the current guidelines. And the guidelines are just guidelines anyway there's nothing to make the scammers stick to them.
Have you had a look at www.safespeed.org.uk ? Their forums are worth a visit.[}:)]
Homer
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,

Post by Homer »

It looks like it was a mobile unit.
From the Avon, Somerset and Gloucestershire scammer's site.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">MOBILE CAMERA LOCATIONS WEEK COMMENCING 17TH MAY 2004
Tuesday 18th may
Mobile teams will be operating in Bath and North east Somerset, South Gloucestershire, North Somerset, West Somerset and Taunton Deane.
<b>Particular attention will be paid to the A46 Swainswick by pass</b>, the A370 throughout North Somerset and the A38 in South Gloucestershire.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think you need to pop along to www.pepipoo.com and have a word with the people on their forums.[}:)][}:)]
<b>EDIT</b>
They also have a fixed site on the same road and it seems to be facing the direction you were travelling. It's a Gatso though so I would expect you to have seen it flash.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Homer.
Wow you sure are well informed/connected! I have been to the pepito site a few times in the past and have to say they seem to be doing a great job. [^]
There is a bridge, the whole road is in a deep cutting for more than half its length including the area where the camera is sited.
However, in my case, although I doubt the camera is there for safety reasons, I knew the camera was there last time I went that way approx 6 months ago, I just forgot and put the vehicles between me and the warnings! [:(!] So in all honesty, much as I would like too [}:)] I would not really be justified in denying this offence. [:I]