P306 Plip Keys

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rich_spens

P306 Plip Keys

Post by rich_spens »

Can anyone suggest a good place to find second-hand plip keys or have one available for sale? It's for a 1994 P306 with deadlocks.
Also, should I be looking for an infra-red key or a high frequency radio wave? Can anyone explain the difference?
Thanks, Rich
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Infra-red is like a TV remote, they only work when there is a line of sight to the receiver. The receiver in Infra-red equipped cars is usually in the roof, just above the rear view mirror.
Radio remotes work from a much greater distance and don't require a line of sight.
I think you're probably looking for an infra-red type but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if you can associate a plipper with a different car.
solara

Post by solara »

eBay has lots of secondhand pug 306 IR keys for sale (usually go for around £30). You can always buy an old key and get a new key case for around a fiver from a pug dealer.
If this replacement key is the only key you are using, it should be quite easy to re-program your receiver for this new key (just follow the handbook instructions). What you are actually doing is registering the key for use with the receiver (not programming the key).
However, if you have an existing key, and you wish to use both keys, one of them will need to be re-programmed by Peugeot to match the other key.
rich_spens

Post by rich_spens »

Thanks guys. Not quite sure I understand why the new key overwrites the old. I was under the impression that you needed the original in the ignition whilst you hit the buttons on the new one.
solara

Post by solara »

Originally manufacturer supplies you with 2 identical infra red keys (ie both transmit the same signal).
One key goes in the ignition slot as you need to turn the ignition on, in order to program the receiver. The other key is used to transmit the IR signal, so it gets registered by the receiver.
If you then go and lose a key, you are supposed to go back to your pug dealer and buy a new key pre-programmed with the same signal as your old key.
However, you should be able to use a 306 IR plip key from another car, and register it with your car, by putting one key in the ignition slot, and the other key to transmit the signal. The one you are using to transmit the IR signal is the key that will be registered with the car.
solara

Post by solara »

The reason you need two keys, is that it is physically impossible to switch the ignition on, and point the key at the IR receiver (located in the roof) at the same time.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi all,
Just a word of warning having learned the hard way (having to walk 5 miles home!)
Even if you buy a new key and reprogram it to lock/open the doors, you need to make sure either:
A) you take it to a dealer and get them to program the key to start the car (there is a RFID chip inside the key also that the car ECU interogates!). This does cost about £20-35 depending on how hard you can bargain!
B) you swap the old RFID chip (contained in the bottom half of the casing opposite the LED mount hole) from your working key and put it into your new key.
I mention this as I bought a new key from a dealer, got it programmed up to open the doors and even tested it to check the car started - it did. I dropped the wife off home (leaving her the old key) and drove on. when i stopped the car - new key refused to start the car again!!
It seems that if a valid key (i.e. with RFID chip the ECU recognises) is entered about a minute before, any other key will work.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi again,
Forgot to mention in my last post. I have a IR Key for a peugeot 306 with deadlocks. The innards are fine, but the plastic button for the deadlock is corroded (a common problem)!
You can have the whole lot for a tenner if you like, as it seems if you want to get the whole lot on Ebay they want around £30. It did work as is (i.e. you could just about press the deadlock button!) but you can find cases on ebay for about £5-£10.
solara

Post by solara »

Doesn't the RFID unit apply to "High Frequency" keys (not infra red keys)? What type of key do you have "r_306_Xsi"?
rich_spens

Post by rich_spens »

r_360_xsi - I'd be really interested in your key. thanks for the offer. I'll send you an email to talk it through,
Thanks,
Rich
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi, My key is a IR type plip with deadlock/alarm button
No, the RFID chip is just a single chip (with no pins, is not soldered to any circuit).
It is used to verify the key is "valid", and unsets the immobiliser.
The immobiliser has a coil of wire around the key barrel, and when the key is turned the coil is activated, creating an inductive loop, which then powers the RFID chip in the key and sends out some code. If this code matches one in the car's ECU then the immobiliser is deactivated, else it remains active and the car won't start!
I imagine on older models with a Keypad immobiliser this chip is not needed?
What I did was bought a used key (when I bought mine from ebay I got the whole item for £10) + P&P!), and swapped out the chip from my old key into the new one! Then I just had to program the central locking as described in the user manual!
Hope this helps.
rich_spens

Post by rich_spens »

r_306 xsi - I've tried emailing you a few times re: arranging payment for the key but haven't had a reply. I'm still interested. What's the best way to get in touch?
Rich
woody-som

Post by woody-som »

If you can get spare keys on ebay, does this mean that any key would open the doors?
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Well, if it is the correct type, Yes it does, although the key has to be programmed to be recognised by the car, as described in the users manual.
woody-som

Post by woody-som »

I guess you are talking about the IR side of things.
I was actually wondering about the actual metal part of the key that you put in the locks/ignition, are these all the same?