Help Needed ! 2005 407 AC cutoff by itself problem

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mask

Help Needed ! 2005 407 AC cutoff by itself problem

Post by mask »

The ride is a 2005 407 2.0 petrol.

Lately the ac has been cutting out by itself while driving i.e. the internal blower fan will just died suddenly. Sometimes it will go on running back again after few secs but sometimes it just died. Stopping the car with ignition off & starting again sometimes help, but sometimes won't until the next day... :evil:

This so far happened at any engine rpm whether idle or high, driving around without the ac on in a hot humid Malaysia weather is just unbearable.. :cry:

What's the probable cause you guys think this problem might be as i need to troubleshoot this properly before spending $$ on "who knows what" the shop might tell me...

Thanks again.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Hey, there is a "quick test" provided you can find some fairly quick-moving roadway. When the fan stops, see if you can set the air intake to fresh air, instead of recirculation. If the AC is still cooling, the car's speed will force enough air through the pollen filter to make a difference.

If this is the case, you need to repair or replace the fan speed control module. I'm not quite sure where this will be found on your car other than to suggest looking in the path of air between the cabin fan and evaporator, probably on the left side near the centre. Look for a plug with at least two thick wires into it.
mask

Re: Help Needed ! 2005 407 AC cutoff by itself problem

Post by mask »

Send in the car to a workshop yesterday afternoon, after much checking was told that compressor is ok/running (pheww... :| ) & it could be the blower fan electrical intermittent problem, a sensor somewhere inside which is playing up. Since it is too late in the evening, they ask to come back again this am.

Any idea if there is a relay/sensor/switch for the internal blower fan & wherebout it is located ??

Cheers.. :lol:
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The blower comes and goes from loose connectors and bad solder joints on the control module.
It lives at bottom front left under the dash on the passenger’s side, meaning on left-hand-drive cars as I think you have. :?

Recent C5 blower topic here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=37343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mask

Post by mask »

Clogzz wrote:The blower comes and goes from loose connectors and bad solder joints on the control module.
It lives at bottom front left under the dash on the passenger’s side, meaning on left-hand-drive cars as I think you have. :?

Recent C5 blower topic here:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=37343" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clogzz, mine is a right-hand drive :)
Is the control module as red circle item ?

Thanks again mate :wink:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The blower control module gets quite hot.

For that reason it always has some sort of metal heatsink as part of it, and it will live in an area where the fan pushes air over it. Because of this heatsink you won't actually see the metal bit until it's pulled out.

Looking above the passenger's feet with the trim panel removed, first identify the blower fan. If it has a two fat wire power connector, the module is not mounted onto the blower fan - folow the air ducting a few centimetres at a time looking for a plug with four or five wires, two of which are identical to the blower fan hookup. If there is a plug with more wires that passes directly into the blower fan base, the module is inside the fan housing.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

right-hand drive
Then it’s on the driver’s side, at the other end of the picture.
It’s well below the blower motor, at the opposite end of the plain-looking small rectangular piece immediately to the right of the motor in the picture, which is the pollen filter cover.
I can’t find proper pictures here and now, my internet doesn’t work at home and I’m using the council library’s fast free internet.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mask

Post by mask »

Gents,

Thanks for all the usefull info, BTW after much checking about here n there I just gave up n sent the car to the authorised service centre #-o

The problem is really the blower unit itself as told, after they perform the "actuator test" ?? on the blower, there seems to be a drag to the blower :roll:

The whole blower unit cost me about GBP290 inclusive labour :evil: :evil:

The only good thing with the blower unit is that it is a plug n run unit, pretty easy to install if I've known what the problem is since the beginning :)

So anyone out there with intermittent ac blower problem might want to check this out too.. :wink:

Cheers..