Hdi 90hp 110hp

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gwailo

Hdi 90hp 110hp

Post by gwailo »

Could someone tell me what the actual difference in between each version. I know the 307 is avaliable as 110hp but is the 306? I am interested in buying a 306 but would prefer the 110hp if poss, what do I look out for? Appreciate your advice.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The 306 ony had the HDi 90.
Diferences include (but not limited to!) ECU, injectors, 110 has an intercooler.
If looking at a 306, check the crankshaft pulley has been changed for the redesigned version, some early high pressure pumps played up and some had clutch problems. Otherwise not much, just normal used car checks really.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

rossd: what did you do to your TD to get it to 115 and what other options are there for going higher? Also for the brakes did you just bolt some larger psa calipers onto your existing hubs with new discs or did you need to change hubs as well?
gwailo

Post by gwailo »

With respect to "VisaGTi16v's" question, does not car knock out any more soot than standard and how is economy effected. I know my D Turbo is always a bit smoky, Are the Hdi's less smoky cuz of the better atomisation of the fuel?
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

My 306 runs at about 120bhp, increased fuel and boost is a very simple operation although increasing fuel really is a case of trial and error. Economy is not affected if you get the fuel right as the higher compression reached effectively helps counterbalance the extra fuel used. Only when you over fuel will your economy drop. HDI's use an EGR valve which brings down the emission levels but if you remove it , hey presto instant power increase!! Other than that the hdi is best with a powerstick for performance gains.
If you are planning on tuning a pug td engine I reccomend you first ensure you can get a good 'cold' air feed with minimal heat soak. Increasing the boost raises gthe charge temperature so a cooler air to start with can make the world of difference.
There is a couple of HDI's around now that are beating a standard gti6 on the 1/4 mile and 0-60 sprints. They do take a fair bit of work to get to that stage but http://www.thedervdoctor.co.uk is your best person to speak to, since he built the hdi's, also the first watercooled 306td i/c and many others.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

It was dyno tested at 115Bhp about a year ago, but it smoked so much I have turned the fuel settings down a bit since then. Running 18psi (about 1.25bar) boost pressure.
The brakes are the 266mm Lucas calipers from the 306XSi/Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner, so yes just a straight swap from another PSA vehicle. The hubs didnt need to be changed.
Those HDi's that are (not quite) beating the GTi-6 brigade are seriously tuned though, bigger injectors, custom turbo, big front mounted intercooler, ECU mods etc etc.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

thanks for info. one other question, did you have to change your master cylinder for the larger calipers or do they use the same one?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I didn't change the master cylinder, the brakes are fine. I didnt notice any more travel. Some people advise it, it depends on how you feel about it. Try it and see, if you feel they are too light or have too much travel change the master cylinder for the next size up!