PSA engines in unusual places

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

PSA engines in unusual places

Post by spider »

I was just wondering if anyone had come across PSA engines in not so usual places.

I'm thinking of the following scenario's really:

Generator / Pumps / Boat / Canal barge etc

Probably with XUD's to be honest as they are such reliable workhorses and simple to maintain.

I did hear there was a series 2 Landrover with an XUD in it, but I've never seen a picture (and the bay is not that easy to make one fit I would guess)

But anyway any info on unusual places for these engines is always interesting to learn. :D
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Saw one used in a Scrapheap Challenge creation once...

Also, one was used in a very unlikely car once. It was in one of the classic magazines. I fancy it was an Austin A35!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I discovered a few days ago that PSA engines were used in Lancias, courtesy of a bit of paper contained within the cambelt kit for my Coupe.

Not that unusual I'll grant you, but it surprised me.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Seems popular with off roaders,specially Lada Nivas:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=61241

Few in boats as well,quick search, xud boat!

http://www.leomagill.co.uk/

^^^ project puggit at left side
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I was seriously contemplating a pair of them in a boat, running WVO, and fish about that need frying ;)
spider

Post by spider »

HDI Dave wrote: Few in boats as well,quick search, xud boat!

http://www.leomagill.co.uk/

^^^ project puggit at left side
Interesting to see two of them. Must cause a few sync issues maybe. Although they had two meaty looking marine units in before.

I would of (thought) one good XUD9 would of been enough to drive two propellers but I have no real idea really about boats, perhaps just fabricating it to one power source (two props) would of been difficult) although twin engines does seem a lot really.

Interesting to see anyway, although I would of used the later thermostat fuel filter / heater units myself for simplicity and slightly less plumbing, although that's probably me being picky. :D

Would love to hear of any more unusual places for these units too.
Andy.

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

spider wrote: Interesting to see two of them. Must cause a few sync issues maybe. Although they had two meaty looking marine units in before.

I would of (thought) one good XUD9 would of been enough to drive two propellers but I have no real idea really about boats, perhaps just fabricating it to one power source (two props) would of been difficult) although twin engines does seem a lot really.

Interesting to see anyway, although I would of used the later thermostat fuel filter / heater units myself for simplicity and slightly less plumbing, although that's probably me being picky. :D
The original engines were a pair of marinised BMC 2.5 litre diesels, I'd guess that the XUDs were as powerful if not more powerful, but still you'd need a pair of them to match the old engines.

When you marinise an engine, you've got to replace radiators with some other means of cooling, radiators need big openings in the hull which is a way to get lots of water into your boat in heavy seas. You can either go raw water cooled (run sea water through your engine block) or have a separate cooling circuit and a heat exchanger. Raw water cooling needs an engine made of materials that can tolerate salt water, I don't think the XUD will tolerate raw water cooling so you can't use its thermostat and really you need a heat exchanger.

The other thing you'll see fabricated is a water cooled exhaust, exhausts get hot and glass fibre hulls don't like heat that much! Water cooled exhausts typically just inject water into the exhaust close to the manifold and then have a swan neck or other water trap, they can be fairly quiet without having any silencer at all.
spider

Post by spider »

I recently heard there's a Willys MB Jeep with an XUD around but I've yet to see any evidence of it as I suspect it might be a bit long.

I suppose it would make sense as its about the same power output compared to its original large-ish sidevalve (!) engine. Not sure how gearing / torque output would be.
Andy.

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That old Willis jeep was a thirsty bugger, in work use you were lucky to get 16 mpg out of it.