Stiff steering 405

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doug

Stiff steering 405

Post by doug »

I have a 405 non PAS, and the steering is becoming hard to turn, other than old age on my part, what checks can I do, and what should I be looking for, to see if something is wrong. Tyre pressure is OK.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Hi Doug.
It may be worth having a look at the bottom ball joints and the track rod ends to see if they are seizing. I would do this by disconecting the track rod ends from the hubs, then see how easily you can turn the front struts by hand, and feel if you can move the track rod joints as well. If one is harder than the other, you might be getting somewere. With the track rods off you can also feel how easily the steering turns, if not it may be the steering rack.
doug

Post by doug »

Thanks for that,I will check it out, if however it's the steering rack that needs replacing, would you recommend, or is it possible to install a PAS system?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Hi Doug - In addition to Dave's remarks, have you checked that you have adequate lubrication within the bellows on the steering rack?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I suppose you can retro-fit PAS, but to do it with new parts would be very expensive. My father-in-law fitted it on a 306D with a mixture of S/H and new bits, and it still cost him over £500. He used a S/H steering column and rack with a new pump. Best to find out what parts need to be changed, then get a price for them.