Brighten up a ZX. part two. lol.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Brighten up a ZX. part two. lol.

Post by James.UK »

Does anyone know how to change the colour of the rubber door protector strips and bumpers on a ZX? The window rubbers, door handles, etc are all black, the car is light grey, but the bumpers and door fingy's are a dark ish grey! ?? They don't match anything? "Friday" paint job maybe? [:o)]
Would paint just come off when hosed/washed? Can they be stained in some way? Any/all ideas would be most welcome.. [:)]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Would "Back to black" work???
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Phil. Nope I tried that, neither does tyre black [V] Thanks for the input though. [:)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

James
Plastic bumpers can be painted any colour you want, but you need the correct paint with a plasticiser in it - go to your local 'Autopaint'
Don't think you can paint rubber bits at all, but I use Mer gel on all black bits - find it is much better than 'Back to Black'
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hmm, not sure black bumpers will look right with moggy grey door strips? But maybe I can get some mat black paint that can be applied with a brush? that way I could touch up the rubber door bits whenever they get chipped..
Thanks Mike..
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Have a look in your local motor accessories shop for "Trim and Bumper paint" - small 250ml tin (not spray can)..just remembered using this many years ago on some vinyl headlining; no flaking and a sort of satin black finish. Bit like "Vinylkote"; impregnates colour to the plastic rather than putting a layer of colour on top of it. Needs careful application as it can streak a bit when putting it on, but works
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Cheers Mike, Cheers Phil, I am off to the local auto paint shop first chance I get. I will post a link to the car pic after I have finished painting it. (if) [:D] I need some nice weather to work in as well! [:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Well the bumpers and rubber strips got painted black today by a very reluctant sprayer friend using a plasticiser based paint on both the bumpers and the door protectors.. [:o)].. lol.. At the moment the paint is a bit too shiny but I am assured it will dull back to a matt finish in a day or too.. It better, or I might be asking for a refund! [:0] [;)]
The finished item can be seen at..........
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jamesoneuk/my ... /auto.html
Thanks again for all the advice... [:)]