My S1 Activa

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Don't mess about - get a birotor in it :)
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

Keep with the the turbo petrol theme and find a 1.6THP from a Mini, C4, C5 or whatever :D

Saying that I like my TCT, though I know your not a huge fan :roll:
Originality is the way, maybe with a few tweeks!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Citroenmad wrote:Keep with the the turbo petrol theme and find a 1.6THP from a Mini, C4, C5 or whatever :D

Saying that I like my TCT, though I know your not a huge fan :roll:
Originality is the way, maybe with a few tweeks!
It's not that i don't rate the engine, having lived with it for a month i'm prepared to say its not a bad engine, jsut citroen should have gone a bit further with it, that said though i bet they didnt want to because back on the continent it would have put it a bit too close to the v6 for the marketing departments liking (such as the saxo vtr and vts)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Chris i take it yours is a standard lump, no mods at all?
It is worth upping the boost a touch, in fact from what ive seen its worth getting a guage on it to make sure its actualy producing stock boost in the first place, the V6 will alway be more responsive across the rev range but the tct will match the V6 performance with some small improvements.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

totally standard, i've got a manual boost controller that i'll slap on there, how do you actually plumb it in btw?
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

remove the ecu controller, and then plumb your new boost controller in the same as the other one is, if your new controller is a bleed type (hope it isnt) then connect the exhaust back to the inlet like the original but if its a seated bearing type you will need to cap the little fitting on the pre turbo inlet pipe.
What type of boost controller are you going for?

Remember to keep the old controller plugged in and just tuck it up behind the o/s strut top out of the way otherwise you will get a management light on if the ecu cant see the controller.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

i just got a cheapie one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MAN ... 5d3005ce0a

i notice there are 3 pipes on the oem controller, which pipe does what (sorry to sound simple)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Chris570 wrote: Lying underneath the car yesterday access to the turbo looks quite good and the manifold looks fine as well. Dunno what Jim's problem was tbh

*hides from Jim's reply*
I wish you an early manifold gasket failure Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Still, you will receive most of your comeuppance with the heater matrix... And I mean that, the most difficult (or one of the difficult) jobs is to remove the turbo pipes to give adequate access to the heater matrix elbow connector and I'm sure that job will make you smile and smile :twisted: :twisted:

I'll let you in on the secret of how to do it more easily when you offer a groveling apology for your earlier comment..

You were right that you'd need to hide from my reply :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart

Post by robert_e_smart »

Still, you will receive most of your comeuppance with the heater matrix... And I mean that, the most difficult (or one of the difficult) jobs is to remove the turbo pipes to give adequate access to the heater matrix elbow connector and I'm sure that job will make you smile and smile
Get a 1.8 chaps! Easy peasy!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Chris570 wrote:i just got a cheapie one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MAN ... 5d3005ce0a

i notice there are 3 pipes on the oem controller, which pipe does what (sorry to sound simple)
there is only one pipe really, it runs from a boost source (the intercooler to throttle body pipe in this case) to the wastegate actuator.
You just 'T' the controller into it like it shows in the diagram on the ebay listing, the 3rd pipe is just the leak off or exhaust, it should not be left venting in the engine bay as they say though, connect it back to the inlet tract like the stock controller to reduce noise and loosing air the ecu has already fueled for.

Looks likle a nice controller but the ball bearing ones have less pipework to worry about, they dont give boost spikes and they dont bleed away boost pressure either, i may get round to upgrading to one at some point.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

Ok, update time.

i apologise now for the lack of pictures but time was of the essence today....

so today's list of jobs was
Change the P bishes over
Change round bushes over
Replace swivel joints
(all of the above done at casa del Jim, cheers)

Put wishbones back onto car
put hubs back onto car
build new shiny brakes up
replace activa control arms
bleed brakes
swear repeatedly at various points during the day

Progress was slightly slowed this morning due to a "technical problem" suffice it to say, when putting the 'P' bushes on take care to make sure they are they right way up!!! :oops:

there were various other problems as wel,l such as getting the strut to go 'home' into the hub was a right PITA but careful use of a jack and the height selector soon saw that issue gone.. I had a nasty feeling when reattaching the ABS as well, the s1 sensors just didnt want to go where they should on the s2 hubs, it was almost as if the s1 sensors were about 1mm too big, i was not impressed, but a big sledge hammer soon saw that problem solved too. (just kidding, I cleaned up the inside of the hub and gently worked it in)

all in all things went fairly smoothly and could have been a lot worse.

now for the results, i've upgraded to the 288mm discs and pads and my god are they a world apart, very very good, as good as my hdi (which in my world is the worlds best car, well some of us have aspirations, others don't ;) )

when accelerating away from anything lower than walking pace the vibration in the cabin was awful, now all is calm :), the car feels a lot tighter so far (only driven it 3 miles) once i've swapped all the spheres over we'll be in business properly.

all in all, nice car :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

Chris570 wrote:there were various other problems as well, such as getting the strut to go 'home' into the hub was a right PITA but careful use of a jack and the height selector soon saw that issue gone..
I use a cold chisel as a wedge in the split on the rear of the hub which opens it up far enough for the strut to simply slot home, simples :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

ok, new update time.

Heater matrix is in and sealed there is a *slight* weep from the connector (Jim seems more bothered by it than i am) that a dab of sealent will fix.

if i were to offer any tips for heater matrix replacement i would go for 2.

1) Don't

2) if you must do the job, remove the elbow when the engine is roastie hot.

other than that it is a fairly simple job and i even managed to get my air-recirc flap working properly after i found a badly bent cable. so i'm happy there.

Other jobs done this weekend were a few sphere changes.....

The rear centre (hydractive) was ruptured and was a complete PITA to remove but is now replaced.

The balancing sphere was showing 2bar (now replaced)

the activa accumulator was showing 18bar (now replaced)

the main accumulator was ruptured (now replaced)

the only sphere that hasnt been replaced or removed is the rear brake accumulator (anti sink)

now with all of the other spheres being replaced you'd think the car would be all happy.....

no

Activa's revenge for having 3 blokes all over it for 2 days solid in the cold wet weather was as follows...

1) I get in car after healthy bout of citroebics to take it for a test run.

2) I start engine

3) I wait for rear to rise

4) I continue to wait

5) Many moons pass

6) I get bored of flicking through the manual for the radio code

7) Decide to get out and work the suspension (read jump on towbar)

8) Discover that during the citroebics the arb clamp has slipped so the ride height is now out of kilter.

9) Get under car (once properly supported) to adjust ride height again) get a wonderful douche vert. while discovering that the o/s rear susp cylindar is leaking appallingly badly (sp).

10) Discover that the HC linkages are so worn its a wonder the damn thing ever corrected in the first place. Also noted that the unions to said HC are shall we say less than ideal.

So after all the fun and games this weekend and all the hard work put in by all (thanks Jim, really I am very grateful for all your help this weekend, you know the favour will be repaid) the car has decided to make itself undriveable. no wonder activa prices are low.

If we hadn't just done the matrix i would be very close to throwing in the towel with this car. (mental exhaustion doesnt help) but with a warm cup of tea in hand and a good set of friends I've decided to bite the bullet and say in for a penny....

Car goes to see a certain chappy called Martin tomorrow afternoon to have the HC renewed and the leaky cylindar repaired/replaced.

Then with any luck she'll be back on the road again!!!!!
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

Sorry to hear your tale of woe there Chris, when that happens it really does test your enthusiasm for a car with the option of seeing it crushed quite appealing by way of revenge, been there done that :twisted: Martin will sort the rest out for you and give you a break from it in the meantime, he's a really good guy and to say he knows what he's doing is a little bit of an understatement :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

Sorry to hear about your woes Chris... :cry:

It'll be worth it in the end, I'm sure! :D
Franklin