306 TD Airbag warning light

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mgoodlad

306 TD Airbag warning light

Post by mgoodlad »

Car is 1996 306 TD Spinnaker with 52,000 miles. The airbag warning light flashes for about 4 minutes then stays on every time. When I got the car it used to be intermittent, but now it is every time the car is started.
I believe this is usually the airbag trigger wire under the driver seat needing new connectors.
Is this something I can do myself after disabling the airbag per the Haynes manual or leave it to a garage. My local garage would not look at it though - is a trip to Peugeot dealer needed? :-(
Any help most appreciated
Thanks
Michael Goodlad
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

Hiya... As I understand things , the light is indicating a fault in the circuit. I would say the first thing to do is do a fault code check and that ought to point you in the right direction...even if it is just down to the connectors. As you mentioned though, pay close attention to the safety procedures even BEFORE you start playing with those connectors, just to be on the safe side... its really just a case of disconnecting your battery..leaving all alone for 5 mins..before you start work on any part of the airbag system....that will give time for the airbag (cant think of the word!!!)....erm.... capcititors I think... to discharge! ( the things that fire the airbag anyhow!) ;)
Let us know how you get on...
regards
Mike ps. be aware that disconncting your battery you will drop your radio code.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Thanks for the reply.
Anyone know if it is possible to get a fault code reader for this car (1996 306 TD) at reasonable cost?
Regards
Michael
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Hi Michael,
Im sure you are familiar with eBay. I have jsut seen about three fault code readers that will be ending in a days time. No let me look again, there are hundreds all from the same seller. Starting bid is 16.99 with small delivery costs.
They look basic but should do the job, Draper are a good make. (The tool company)
I have the same problem with my 306, so I might also try it. Up until now i just shove my frontseat hard back and the light goes out occasionally. After reading this tho, i will probably treat my airbag system with more respect.
Hope this helps. Tim
mrtimh
My Cars:

Post by mrtimh »

Oops sorry i am new and have just seen this post is like a 100 years old. Im looking at all the posts to see if i can solve some of my problems from others previous experiences.
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Thanks Tim -don't worry - I am still here and still have the problem - I have lived with it for 2 years now... :-) Once or twice I have disconnected the connectors under both the drivers and passenger seats, sprayed some contact cleaner into the connectors - usually fixes it for a week or so, then back to normal. I really just ignore it these days.....more pressing problems - alarming clunks coming from the 106! That is very interesting the fault code readers on ebay and will check it out - thanks.
Regards
Michael
1996 306 TD 66,000 miles
1996 106 1.5d 85,000 miles
mgoodlad

Post by mgoodlad »

Hello again - looked at the code readers on ebay - but they all seem to be for petrol engines. Regards, Michael
robins1uk

Post by robins1uk »

hi
i had the same prob on my n-reg dturbo and it turned out to be the conncetor under the passa. seat just cut the ends off and soldered them together be fine ever since
Fraz

Post by Fraz »

my 96 s16 306 is doin the same. flashin for a while then goin solid air bag light wise. ive tried chekcin and re connecting the wires and i've tried a bit of wd 40 in the connectors. is it deffo gonna be them? will i cut them out and solder the wires together?
help its doin ma head in!!!
mikgram

Post by mikgram »

my renault safrane has this recurring problem ,the first time a self
employed mechanic reset the board computer {9 faults} for a crate of beer 9 euro`s it started up again yesterday so I disconnected the
battery waited 15 mins then pulled all the connectors apart and sprayed them with contact cleaner.