Broken brake bleed nipple

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sponix
My Cars:

Broken brake bleed nipple

Post by sponix »

I replaced one of the front brake hoses on my Peugeot 205 today but unfortunately the bleed nipple sheared straight off!
My questions are as follows:
1. How can I remove the sheared piece of metal without damaging the calpier? Unfortunately it has sheared off flush with the surface of the caliper!
2. As a short term measure I bled the brakes by loosening/tightening the hose to caliper union. It seems to have done the trick in that the brakes work fine. However, is this OK in the medium term, until I replace the nipple with a new one?
3. I have still to replace the hose on the other side. Is there any sure fire way of removing the nipple complete rather than having it shear? I don't mind damaging the nipple if this is what it takes to remove it complete.
Many thanks!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

1. With great difficulty, if at all
2. That's perfectly OK forever, all the bleed nipple does is bleed and you've done that. It's already been established that the nipple's securely in ;)
3. Lots of heat, lots of care but you still can't be certain. If it breaks do the hose trick again.
sponix
My Cars:

Post by sponix »

Is it possible to remove them with one of those reverse threaded stud removal thingumies?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Before attempting to undo a bleed nipple it's an idea to give it a sharp smack, square on with a hammer. And then use a ring spanner.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sponix</i>

Is it possible to remove them with one of those reverse threaded stud removal thingumies?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In theory yes, but in practice you'd probably find it has too strong a hold.