The CXM Rally is no more, arise the...

A place to discuss any upcoming meets, club rallies and general get togethers.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Rather than these model rallies why not simply have Citroen rallies/meets more regularly in a wider variety of locations? Does it really matter what model car someone turns up in? I find it strange that if I go to the DSM in my DS I'm welcomed as if I'm royalty but if I turn up in a Xantia then I'm asked (and have been) to park outside. Will the same occur if I attend the CXMXantia in my DS?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

DickieG wrote:Rather than these model rallies why not simply have Citroën rallies/meets more regularly in a wider variety of locations? Does it really matter what model car someone turns up in? I find it strange that if I go to the DSM in my DS I'm welcomed as if I'm royalty but if I turn up in a Xantia then I'm asked (and have been) to park outside. Will the same occur if I attend the CXMXantia in my DS?
Its a good point, actually. I'v guessing that if someone want's to go, they will go in whatever they want to take on the day, that is, those lucky enough to have a fleet of vehicles
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I do think that by naming a rally model specific it discourages owners of other models from attending, I can't really see the benefit in making a meet model specific. I'm in the fortunate position of having alternative models and have first hand experience of facing differing attitudes from others dependent upon which car I'm driving, strange if not outright rude really.

A few years ago prior to getting my DS I went to the DSM in my gold Xantia and was met at the gate with "park it outside mate, the field is for DS or SM's". A couple of years later I turn up in my DS and now its "follow me, yes this way, would you park it in the front line, that's wonderful, what a lovely car". Unfortunately none of this is made up but pretty much word for word what's happened to me at the DSM, really not good enough but recounted to illustrate the problem with model specific meets.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote: A few years ago prior to getting my DS I went to the DSM in my gold Xantia and was met at the gate with "park it outside mate, the field is for DS or SM's".
That's terrible Richard :evil: I thought that kind of behaviour had died out long ago...

As far as I'm concerned, and I believe I'm not alone, at any rally any Citroen, nay any car is welcome. Remember the R16s that have turned up at earlier CXMs at Little Horwood? Welcomed with wide open arms.

That's how it should be.

But yes, good point about an all models rally and Phil, there is early talk of an April rally next year - who knows? We may just be able to guarantee good weather in April :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember Stamford? April and glorious weather!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

A few years ago prior to getting my DS I went to the DSM in my gold Xantia and was met at the gate with "park it outside mate, the field is for DS or SM's"
Thats the biggest problem that I have with the CCC. Its tooo DS centric.

I haven't seen this behaviour at the CXM rally, the more the merrier.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

robert_e_smart wrote:Thats the biggest problem that I have with the CCC. Its tooo DS centric.
Its certainly a problem, a touch of the old boys network really which is why very few owners of later models are members or turn up at meets, how many C5 owners went to this years national?

The reason I bring this up is I'm wondering whether removing the model specific title will make for a larger attendance/more inclusive rally for owners of modern Citroens such as Picasso's, Berlingo's etc
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Richard, I will bring this up with those in lofty positions. I think it is a very, very valid point.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

The reason I bring this up is I'm wondering whether removing the model specific title will make for a larger attendance/more inclusive rally for owners of modern Citroëns such as Picasso's, Berlingo's etc
I don't know.

Over here the CCC have one event, a weekend rally usually held at a hotel, and all Citroen models are welcome. Ever since I have been going there has been a wide selection of cars both modern and less so, with all car categories getting equal attention and enthusiasm.

CXM has been a very open affair as well in the time I have been going to it also. When I first went it was the CX rally, then the following year it incorporated Xms prior to the Xm's 20th anniversary. There has always been a good turn out of other Citroens and interesting classic cars. We had Visa, plenty of xantias and Bxs at it last year, amongst other things that escape my memory.

Part of this lack of presence could be resolved if owners of these cars were to be encouraged either through the magazine columns etc to attend all rallies. Then again a lot of modern Citroen owners may have a classic Citroen that they wish to attend the rally in as well.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

citroenesque wrote:What are the dates again?
...as mentioned by Robert, it's the first weekend of September - the 2nd to 4th of September.

As for comments about the name of the rally, this very topic was discussed and we as a committee came to the decision that it would be called the CX, XM and Xantia Rally so I don't see that changing this year. Perhaps it may be discussed again at a future committee meeting for a future rally.
DickieG wrote:Rather than these model rallies why not simply have Citroën rallies/meets more regularly in a wider variety of locations?
The trouble is with that though, is that without having the Model Section Rallies there would be just lots of National Rallies - I feel that the individual Model Sections like to hold a rally for their car's especially if there is an active committee. If, for example where AFAIK there is not a BX Section Committee in the CCC then there is not a Rally. Active Model Section Committees like the DS, CX and GS (eg) have rallies. I like the idea of Model Section Rallies - you can't beat a line-up of all your favourite cars.
DickieG wrote:A few years ago prior to getting my DS I went to the DSM in my gold Xantia and was met at the gate with "park it outside mate, the field is for DS or SM's".
...now that is really terrible, and something that I particularly really do not like - it is Model Snobbery at it's highest. Just because you aren't in that particular car does not mean you aren't allowed into the field. YOUR £5 or whatever is the same as a DS owner's £5. Sorry, but that is also a part to why I dislike Ds - the owners. Don't get me wrong, there are some very lovely people who owns DSs - a very extreme example is Mike who owns that NEW DS with the reg number 1974 DS...a really nice chap indeed!

EVERYONE in ANY vehicle at all is welcome to the CX, XM and Xantia Rally - we were even in a Talbot last year! But that might have been allowed for pickled egg purposes of course... :lol: :wink:
DickieG wrote:The reason I bring this up is I'm wondering whether removing the model specific title will make for a larger attendance/more inclusive rally for owners of modern Citroëns such as Picasso's, Berlingo's etc
...I'm not sure either. With no model section rallies - there'd just be a load of "National Rallies". I think that the Rallies work very well, especially the DSM too as they seem to have a very good attendance. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I'm personally very looking forward to the CX, XM and Xantia Rally - it will be a great weekend.Especially if you like pickled eggs, too... :wink:
Franklin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I haven't been to that many rallies and am invariably in the C5, which barely counts as a Citroen in many people's eyes.

I did expect a bit of stand-offishness but was delighted to find that it was non-existent.

I have always been made very welcome and while I do try and find an appropriate place to dump the C5, I have never encountered the 'you can't park that there' attitude.

I find Citroenistas to be universally friendly and welcoming, a great feeling.

I do think that it is good to have model-specific meets as long as those that turn up in 'inappropriate vehicles' aren't turned away or made to feel unwelcome.

It is odd that there is no BX specific rally though.
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

DickieG wrote:
robert_e_smart wrote:Thats the biggest problem that I have with the CCC. Its tooo DS centric.
Its certainly a problem, a touch of the old boys network really which is why very few owners of later models are members or turn up at meets, how many C5 owners went to this years national?
I think there were 2 or 3, certainly very low numbers, in fact there were more C6's than C5's
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Trainman wrote: I think there were 2 or 3, certainly very low numbers, in fact there were more C6's than C5's
I chickened out due to the rain on top of a 500 mile return journey on the Sunday. If my son had still been in St. Ives I would have come anyway but he was surfing in Cornwall and has moved to Kettering.

Hotel rooms are out as they all seem to have a residue of tobacco smoke in them.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Anything with a chevron for me :wink:

Mark
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Having been a member of other car clubs something I notice about the CCC is that its a very insular club, rarely attending shows where all makes are welcome which I believe does little to promote the club to new members or encourage greater participation from present members. I raised this point several years ago in the club magazine and received not one comment or reply.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I've never felt unwelcome by any CCC member.
Hopefully no one ever will, how you were treated Richard is shocking.

Aren't there non-model specific regional rallys?

To be honest, I go along to rallys to meet up with you lot rather than to see the cars of other CCC members.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool