Modes Of Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DJGarry
My Cars:

Modes Of Suspension

Post by DJGarry »

Can someone please let me know all the different modes of suspension I have available on my car and how they are invoked (either automatically or manually) and their recommended usage.
I have an R Reg 3.0 V6 Exclusive hatchback Xantia, with sports and snow mode switches for gearbox and another suspension switch near the handbrake.
Thanks,[:)]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

DJ, is your car an auto by any chance?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If there's a switch by the handbrake then it has hydractive suspension. This switches between 'soft' and 'hard' modes by isolating a third sphere on each axle. Hard mode is more 'sporty', stiffening the 'springs', and reducing body roll. The car will swtich to hard mode in either 'comfort' (off) or 'sport' (on) setting on the suspension button - but it happens much sooner in 'sport'. The others are to do with the gear box - in 'snow' it sets off in 2nd to avoid wheel spin, and in sport hangs onto the gears longer to make it go.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichardW</i>

If there's a switch by the handbrake then it has hydractive suspension. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think the Hydractive switch on an R reg will be on the dashboard behind the indicator stalk.
The 'switch' near the handbrake is probably the height control lever. Leave it next to the thickest line most of the time, this is the normal position. Fully forward is to release the pressure from the suspension and useful for getting heavy loads into the boot. The first notch back from normal is a high setting for rough terrain and should only be used at low speeds. The furthest back and highest setting is for wheel changing.
If you seem to be missing the handbook look behind the flap below and to the right of the steering column.
All UK V6s had hydractive. The system senses when you require a stiffer suspension setting and switches between soft and hard as required. In sports mode it needs less provoking to switch to hard mode.