DIY sphere removal tool

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

DIY sphere removal tool

Post by Xaccers »

It's been mentioned a few times and I really can't remember who first introduced me to it in a thread so I can't give credit where it's due, but here's how to make your own sphere removal tool from B&Q for around a tenner.

You'll need the following:
Box bar, about 2x2cm and 1m long (I think that's the shortest B&Q do)
M6 threaded rod, again I think 1m is the shortest they do.
2 washers for the rod
2 13mm nuts
An electric drill with a drill bit slightly larger than the rod
A metal saw
A round lamppost

Near one end of the box bar, as close to the end as possible, drill a hole through both sides.
Further up the bar, a sphere diameter away, drill another hole all the way through.
When no one is looking, use a suitable lamppost to bend the threaded rod into a U shape.
Insert it's legs through the holes in the box bar so the loop is lightly larger than a sphere.
Cut off the excess length leaving enough for the nuts and washers.
You'll now have a tool that looks like a P
Using the nuts, you can tighten the loop around spheres, and the long arm means a lot of force can easily be applied to loosen all but the toughest spheres.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

An easier option is to buy a bolt type hose clamp , commonly known as a Mikalor , of the appropriate size. Tighten that around the largest part of the sphere and belt it with a soft hammer (dead blow is best) and alloy block or drift on the end of the clamp bolt. Thats been my method for a good few years.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

excuse me being a bit defeatest here but if your going to put in all that effort to make a sphere removal tool wouldnt it be easier to buy the proper tool?
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote:excuse me being a bit defeatest here but if your going to put in all that effort to make a sphere removal tool wouldnt it be easier to buy the proper tool?
You're being defeatist Nigel :D

Apart from being cheaper, it's also quicker to get hold of.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Apart from being cheaper, it's also quicker to get hold of.
You sure? Round lampposts are ever so expensive...

Also, if you need the leverage exerted by a lamppost to remove spheres then you're doing something wrong...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:

Also, if you need the leverage exerted by a lamppost to remove spheres then you're doing something wrong...
Yeah in those situations then the pleiades tool is the one you need :D
When changing the rear Activa sphere for instance!

You've also got to consider when giving hints and tips that we have many members from abroad who won't have access to genuine sphere tools, or lampposts (in which case a suitable tree can be used).
HDI's suggestion is an excellent one for instance, anything which gets people away from resorting to bashing a cold chisel into the seam around the sphere has to be worth it!

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've got a funny feeling I'm going to need something more than my current twin chain wrench setup when changing spheres on the XM...
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Ramocc
My Cars:

Post by Ramocc »

I bought one of these from Lidl, just fits over spheres and removes them with very little effort. Apparently Halfords sell them too (for about 5 times the price).

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Produ ... movalband/
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ramocc wrote: just fits over spheres and removes them with very little effort.
This tool is great for spinning off spheres that are already loose but it'll come up wanting (and in several pieces!) when faced with a properly tight one...

Believe me, some spheres can be unbelievably tight... I've had to cold chisel them off before now :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jim2.0Hdi

Re: DIY sphere removal tool

Post by Jim2.0Hdi »

Here's a sphere removal tool I made several years ago when I had my first Xantia (1.9td) Hatchback. The loop fits snuggly over the sphere with the bolt providing the locking function, took about 20 minutes to knock this up using only what was available in the shed / garage / scrap pile. The handle is just about a foot long which, as I found out, is way to short as the spheres on my then Xantia had been put on hand tight by Goliath himself and needed an additional bar to get the spheres loose.

X Plate 2.0 Hdi Xantia
1977 Suzuki GS750B
ando
My Cars: Peugeot 406 Citroen c5

Post by ando »

Need a sphere removal tool for Citroen c5 sphere is 120mm diameter 383circumference can any help
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ando wrote:Need a sphere removal tool for Citroen c5 sphere is 120mm diameter 383circumference can any help

The same basic tool as Xaccers made can be used... It just needs to have a bigger hoop.

Otherwise, eBay sell sphere tools designed to fit C5 'saucer' spheres at a reasonable price.
Jim

Fr3nchy
My Cars: Peugeot 2001

Post by Fr3nchy »

I've seen some selections on eBay. Not sure what's the most recommended though
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Another vote for the Pleiades design of the tool for Green balls, I have also got the ebay type for pancake greys.

The angle of the shaft is the key to the Pleiades tools.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re:

Post by Peter.N. »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Apr 2011, 17:58

...and the gas one outside my first house had grooves in it. :)

Peter