Picasso Overboost

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Picasso Overboost

Post by Guru Meditation »

Saw an advert for the Citroen Picasso it was the 110bhp HDI with 'overboost'. How much does it overboost by, for how long and what gears is it available in I wonder? 120, 130bhp maybe?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hm, well all UK Picasso's have the non intercooled 90BHP HDi unit. I would assume that its been boosted to 110BHP by using a TDi tuning box.
Guru Meditation

This was an official Citroen advert, the car was described as a 'Citroën Xsara Picasso 110bhp HDI with Overboost' I took this to mean that the car was fitted with the 110bhp hdi engine but also has a facility to provide temporary overboost to increase maximum power to above the normal 110bhp for short periods of time ie overtaking, when you put your foot to the floor.
I'm gonna go take a look at the citroen website.
Guru Meditation

Yep I just found this on Citroen.co.uk. Sounds like this 110bhp hdi is a new engine:
The fantastic new 1.6HDi 16V 110hp engine combines the power and driveability of the latest common-rail diesel technology with enhanced acoustics and vibration control, while ensuring a significant reduction in fuel consumption and emissions. An overboost function integrated with the engine management system provides additional bursts of torque over a short period, for overtaking or in emergency situations.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yep, its literally just out! New 1560cc 110BHP HDi! Wow! I want!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Hmmm at first I thought this was a late April Fools joke but it really does seem to exist.
Not only is it more powerful than the 2.0, it has better economy and lower emissions.
Now, if they could make a 2.0 version..... Or am I being greedy?
From citroen.com site
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The new HDi 110 bhp high-torque engine combines a fast response with a linear increase in power and excellent acceleration at low engine speeds. For strong bursts of acceleration, the “overboost” function kicks in, delivering up to 20 Nm of additional torque.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Overboost is what the Ford TDCI's use; severe boost time!!! Tried one and it was wierd to drive; half throttle was the quickest; give it full throttle and it's as gutless as anything. This was a Fiesta 1.4 TDCi, by the way...big on what we used to call turbo lag; almost uncontrolable when it came in with an almighty THUMP
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Makes sence, I know PSA and Ford have been collaborating on Diesel engines lately.