ZX TD oil cooler gasket

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimmydeath
My Cars:

ZX TD oil cooler gasket

Post by Jimmydeath »

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be an 'O' ring or other gasket between the engine block and the oil heat exchanger (i.e. the metal assembly between the oil filter and block.
There seems to be a space for an 'O' ring but if there is one I can't find the old one and there isn't a new one in the full engine gasket set I bought.
Jimmydeath
My Cars:

Post by Jimmydeath »

In the end I went to a Citroen dealer and indeed there is an O-ring required between the cooler and the block. When ordering you need to know whether you have the Valeo or Bodine part.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Yep! Had this on mine as well James, unfortunately not included in engine set, as I found out.
Out of interest, I know your rebuilding your engine, what happened to it, and how many miles had it done?
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
Edited by - jon on 04 May 2001 14:08:31
Jimmydeath
My Cars:

Post by Jimmydeath »

Hello Jon
Engine Status, Had head tested and there was a crack under one of the precombustion chambers which was spraying coolant into the bore. Bought new head, gasket set, cambelt and auxillary belt pulley, injectors, water pump and other bits (from yourselves of course).
The bore that had water sprayed in it had become pitted so a local firm drilled it out and fitted a liner plus glaze busted the other bores and finally chemically cleaned it. I bought new rings, bearings and exhaust valves, the original bearings were in pretty good nick but as the engine had done 156,000 miles I replaced them anyway.
A chap at the engineering firm (Ivor Searle in Cambridgshire) who had worked on crankshafts and camshafts for 14 years checked mine over and couldn't believe the mileage they had done, the crankshaft showed no signs of wear whatsoever and the camshaft was in similarily good condition (thats regular oil changes for you)
The block and head are now rebuilt and reassembled, valves are now shimmed correctly, manifolds are fitted as are the various engine mounts. The remaining parts are mainly pipes, the injection pump and associated system.
I hope that this weekend I will get it back in the car and have it running. Is there a recommended running in procedure and should there be an early oil change.
Thanks for your interest
regards
James
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hello James,
Bit of a common problem on the XUD9TE engines, internal cracking of heads allows coolant to enter oilways in head. It "went" on my old ZX TD at about 90,000 miles. Luckily, there was no sign of any damage to the bores, so I took the easy route and fitted a new Citroen built up head.
The bottom end of these engines last very well to big mileages, providing that a genuine Purflux oil filter, and good quality oil are used, and changed at 6000 miles.
I have just bought another ZX TD, this one has only done 68,000. To be on the safe side, we have fitted new rad and water pump already!Also "whipped" the head off, and did head gasket, not due to any cooling problems, but because of dreadful oil leak down back of block caused by weaping head gasket.
Pretty gutted about that one,our Visa diesel has done 206,000, and never had the head off!!
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
Jimmydeath
My Cars:

Post by Jimmydeath »

I started the engine yesterday and it completely failed to explode so I was pretty chuffed about that. I will build up some courage this weekend and take it out on to the roads see how far I dare to travel from home.
Now that the engine is nice and shiny it seems such a shame to get it dirty by driving it anywhere but finances dictate that I shouldn't be driving the XM V6 everyday (well at least not the way I drive it).
One last question, the last bolt that I should of had left, from the engine mount cover (13mm head),ended up being a bolt of the right size but with a threaded part on both sides of the head, similar to the one on the cambelt adjuster.
I cant work out where it should have gone, it is quite shiny so it probably wasn't on the bottom half of the engine but I can't find any bits that could have bolted to it!!
any ideas??