HDi Glowplugs - Indicator Operation

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

HDi Glowplugs - Indicator Operation

Post by spider »

More a reference than a 'hint' but the issue of "Why does my glowplug indicator not work" comes up often enough to justify this I think.

The following applies to the DW10 (2.0HDi) although others such as the 1.4 and 1.6 will be similar.

In my experience, its difficult to see the 0.5 second illumination, usually the supply to the circuit has been terminated before the bulb has come on possibly due to the slight delay caused by multiplexing, so you will only actually see it in very cold conditions.

PRE-HEATING

As soon as ignition is switched on: The engine management control unit supplies the glow plugs and controls the lighting of the warning light on the instrument panel, depending on the coolant temperature.

NOTE : The warning light on the instrument panel only comes on during the pre-heating phase.

Coolant Temperature ... Approx Pre-Heating Time

-30°C ... 20 seconds
-10°C ... 5 seconds
0°C ... 0.5 seconds
+18°C ... 0 seconds (inoperative, in effect)

If the starter is not operated, when the warning light goes out, the glow plugs remain supplied for a maximum of 10 seconds.

During the starting phase, the glow plugs are supplied under the following conditions :

* The coolant temperature is below 20 degrees C
* The engine runs at more than 70 rpm for 0.2 second(s)

POST HEATING

Post-heating consists of prolonging the operation of the glow plugs for a maximum of 60 seconds from the end of the starting phase .

Parameters which will interrupt post-heating :

* Coolant temperature greater than 20 degrees C
* Flow injected greater than 35 mm3
* Engine speed above 2000 rpm
;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks for posting that Andy, a very valuable reference document :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

although at minus 12 last night my glowplug light didnt illuminate at all. car did start and drive brilliantly in the cold conditions excellently.

The HDi has reclaimed its thrown as my favourite car ever. The V6 has lost this battle
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'