Kwik Fit Brake check turned Renault Vel Satis talk...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

pug_owner2002 wrote:I can see Citroenmad's signiture growing again soon. :wink:
Well, they are tempting aren't they!

Though id have to try one first.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Don't think I posted my latest Vel Satis story on here - Must have been Renault Forums, I'll enlighten you now!

Basically, I bought it as a non-runner. It became a victim of Renaults famous turbo failure (answering your question about the 2.2 dCi engine, Chris - it is in fact much more unreliable than the 1.9!).

Anyway, it's only got 30,200 miles on the clock, and it is possibly the best condition Vel Satis I'd hope to come across - not counting the engine of course! It was basically used as a second car and I don't think it was ever serviced - hence the turbo failure. Renault turbos are fragile at the best of times, but dealing with 30k miles of dirty oil!??

Saw the advert, and went to have a look. It had been advertised for over a month, the seller was fed up of having it "blocking up the drive" and didn't have the money to carry out repairs. I was cheeky and offered half the asking price. He accepted. £500.

I sourced a replacement turbo for £150, it is currently with the mechanic getting it fitted, as well as the full service and health check it deserves.

It'll be a cracking car when finished, no doubt one of the lowest mileage examples in the country. The only negatives are: It's manual (I think an auto. box suits these beasts), and it's the base model. We still have auto lights/wipers, cruise control, and the optional Leather interior... but missing a few luxuries I was used to with my Initiale (Sat Nav, Heated Seats, Xenon lights, 6 CD Changer).

Let me know what you think, she may well be for sale soon with a fresh turbo, new MOT and all the love it deserves.

Absolutely love these cars, I will always have one after another, and you are absolutely right... a lot of car for the money!!

French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ah, sorry, my memory is worse than a goldfish! You have posted that before, but i enjoyed seeing it again! :)

Well, thats very disappointing! Had i not taken a disliking to what i heard about the 1.9DCi id probably have a Laguna II at the moment, however .. and the 2.2 is even worse! Wow, still, there is a 2.0T with LPG for sale ... im clutching at straws :lol: I imagine the 3.0 DCi is excellent, but id not like to think about that going wrong, and an auto too, i prefer manuals.

Still, reliability isnt everything, if it was we would be talking on a JAP car forum!

You did find a serious bargain there, obviously the owner didnt have a clue about cars, but it sounds as though you have got it on the road for a good price. I bet your looking forward to getting it back working?

Its a very tidy looking car, and the first Vel ive seen with mudflaps too. Sad!

That interior is something which draws me to the Vel Satis, you can imagine spending days sat in there, let alone a few hours on the motorway.

If thats an entry level Vel with optional leather its quite well equipped. Same as my C5 spec just without the leather.

I dont know, but i think i might have to give a Renault a chance before long, they are appealing.

In fact i went to look at a new shape Laguna recently 58 reg, it was good value and i was tempted, but i wasn't that impressed with the car. The back of the front seat fell off for one thing. Shame.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote: It became a victim of Renaults famous turbo failure (answering your question about the 2.2 dCi engine, Chris - it is in fact much more unreliable than the 1.9!).
Picking this up from another thread where the 1.9 was mentioned, do you know anything about the reliability of the 2.0DCi? Surely that must be a bit better?

Are 1.9s all that bad? Do some go and go so long as they have the correct maintenance?

I dont know if i asked you about your Laguna II which you had for a short time? What did you think to that car? Any niggly problems or things you didnt like?

I really like the Laguna II, and a 1.9DCI sounds like a great car, when it works. Though the higher powered 2.0DCi looks very appealing.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Citroenmad wrote:
R9UKE wrote: It became a victim of Renaults famous turbo failure (answering your question about the 2.2 dCi engine, Chris - it is in fact much more unreliable than the 1.9!).
Picking this up from another thread where the 1.9 was mentioned, do you know anything about the reliability of the 2.0DCi? Surely that must be a bit better?

Are 1.9s all that bad? Do some go and go so long as they have the correct maintenance?

I dont know if i asked you about your Laguna II which you had for a short time? What did you think to that car? Any niggly problems or things you didnt like?

I really like the Laguna II, and a 1.9DCI sounds like a great car, when it works. Though the higher powered 2.0DCi looks very appealing.
As far as I have gathered, the 2.0 dCi has proved to be excellent. I've come across no reports of turbo failure and it is generally known among us Renault geeks as being much more "solid".

In saying that, they are fewer 2.0 dCi Lagunas around than there are 1.9s, as it was only introduced in the facelifted Laguna in 2005. By this stage, the shocking reputation of the Laguna was well established and sales were low.

Yes what you say is true, good maintenance pays with the 1.9 and 2.2 dCi. We've had a good few 1.9 dCis in work with 120k + miles and still going well. Renault recommend 18,000 mile servicing intervals but apparently this is too long for the diesels to wait for new oil (I know if mine were diesel, I wouldn't want to go too far past 12k without fresh oil).

There is a little poll on Renault forums regarding the life span of the Espace 2.2 dCi. Even following the correct service intervals, turbo failure seems to always hit around 70,000 miles - Many, many unhappy owners!

My Laguna was fantastic. As with my C5, I'd love to still have it outside. It was a 51 PLATE 1.8 Petrol Privilège model (second from top of the range). A beautiful half leather half velour interior which was even more comfortable than the Vel Satis. Gadgets were all there and all working! It had the voice synthesizer, and a slow puncture - NOT a good combination! Every other day it was started up the woman would announce "Front Right Tyre: Check the pressure!". Good in a way, a woman nagging will always lead you to rectify any issues just to shut her up.

Xenon headlights, Auto Wipers, Cabasse 6 CD Changer, Auto-dimming rear view mirror, Climate Control, electrically folding mirrors, rear sunblinds - you get the picture!

Bought it in Birmingham, it had just passed it's MOT that day. It excelled on the journey to Stranraer, though not as relaxing as the C5, and it could have done with a 6th gear and cruise control. It averaged 38.1 MPG. I didn't particularly like the gearbox or steering - they both felt quite numb in comparison to the Mégane. Ride very smooth though, even with 17" wheels.

Two Issues: Intermittent ABS fault warning. And the lock button was broken on both key cards (this is VERY typical). I had the key cards repaired for £25.

To be honest though, Chris, I see no reason in buying a Laguna when the Vel Satis is selling for silly prices these days. The driving experience is completely different - in a good way.

I have LOADS of pictures of my Lag, if you fancy some let me know.
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the Renault Info :) I could talk cars forever!

Its good to hear Renault did make a reasonable recent diesel engine, though ive heard problems with the 1.5s they are far less than the others. I dont know why manufacturers have extended service intervals, engines carbon up just as much as they did, oils are similar, nothing has been changed to allow the oils to be in for this long. More frequent servicing is a good idea, no matter what the car. I very much doubt id even buy a car which had only been serviced every 20K. Mine gets done every 6K.

You say not to bother with the Laguna when the Vel is such a good car and is excellent value, however replacing the turbo every 70K would get a bit boring! :lol: But i guess the 1.9 in a VEl would be slow, which is why it didnt happen.

I find it strange that Peugeot offered the 2.0HDi 110 in their 607 (another car i really like and would love to own, id have the 2.0 too), its a big heavy car with a relatively small engine and power output. Though its a very reliable unit and has potential with a remap too.

That is very interesting, an actual talking car! I'm not sure if that is a good thing or just a bit scary! Though ive not heard of a Laguna having that before. I wonder, does she also say "Turbo Failure" or "Please replace engine" too? :lol: Im joking, i really like Renaults and i would definitely bu one, we have had a few and despite their niggles they have all been excellent cars.

Ive heard stories of Renaults cutting out or not starting when they detect a under inflated tyre. This doesn't seem to be the case at all then, I didnt think it would be. Many people make Renaults out to be worse than they really are.

Ive heard of the Lagunas having key problems, but they seem cheap enough to repair? Id always rather have a key, especially as the first Lagunas didn't have a hole in the key to attach other keys or keyrings.

I know someone who got a Laguna II Tourer 2.2DCi as their company car. It was used for three years doing many miles (over 100K in that time) ad its now his wifes daily, its ailed very little.

So you would recommend a Vel Satis to someone? You obviously rate the 3.0 DCi, no doubt thats a fantastic engine. Did that come with a manual box or are they all automatics? If i did go for one id probably have the 2.2 manual, better economy for one thing.

I said before that the only VEL ive been in was my uncles, it was the cheapest one possible, smallest petrol engine Expression in black. Though it was a very nice car. He went from a C5 to that (both company cars). I think in the end he decided he liked the C5 a bit more, probably because it was a diesel, but the VEL was very reliable over the time he had it.

Pictures of your Laguna would be good, it sounds very highly spec'd car ...

I still really like the look of your above 2.2 Vel Satis, if that were mine it would definitely be a keeper. Turbo fixed, low mileage and good colour combo. A very nice car.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Thanks! Just off the phone with my mechanic - THE VEL SATIS WILL BE READY ON FRIDAY MORNING!!! Christmas has come early for me! I'll get the MOT booked and really get to know the car within the next week - really looking forward to it, as I have never driven this one on the road.

Interesting what you say about the 607. The Big peugeot has always been the most mundane of the three french attempts at an executive car. It suffers in the same way as the 605 did. It's just too similar to the 406, and now looks out of date compared with the 407. I do know a guy who bought a nice 2.2 Executive 607 to replace his Xantia - he even bought a number plate with 607 to go on it! I would also buy one, they are very nice big cars, and have depreciated nicely too! Would have to be the V6 auto for me though!

I don't think turbo failure is among the list of phrases programmed in! Definitely should have been though!

I have never heard of that starting issue because of the tyre pressures. However I do know that the sensors give A LOT of bother, and most people have the feature disabled, as I did on the Vel Satis.

The Vel Satis key card is exactly the same - can't go on keys. I have a nice leather wallet for it instead :)

Most issues are relatively petty with the Laguna, and i would be surprised to encounter any major problems at all with a petrol version. I wouldn't mind a blast in the 3.0 V6 auto - though I'd probably end up buying it and pouring my wages into the petrol tank.

I will keep you posted on my relationship with this Vel Satis, lets hope she behaves herself for the MOT!

Any snow with you!? How are the cars coping with it? The Mégane's rubbish - just spins and spins!

Here's some pics of the Lag.

French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I bet you can't wait to get your Vel back on Friday, I know I couldn't! I do like trying out cars for the first time, especially if they are yours! :lol: Good luck with its MOT.

Is the oil pressure light on the above picture due to the Turbo failure?

True, the 607 is maybe a little more mundane than the Vel Satis, but i bet its a cracking car and syling wise its definitely appealing to me. Value for money, stylish, spacious and full of kit too. A nice range of engines and it offers one of my favourite PSA engines, the 2.0HDi. If only Renaults used PSA engines, id already have a Vel Satis!

True, the 407 is more modern, but then it is the next generation. Id have a 407 too, very nice. You do seem to like big engined automatics? What puts me off the 607 is its a saloon, my C5 suits me as i need a large hatchback but it also has a bit of the look of a saloon car. The Vel would be ideal too. We have two large-ish dogs which fit in the back of my C5 well, they obviously cant go in a saloons boot :lol:

Good to know the tyre pressure warning system can be turned off. Some Lagunas can tell you the exact pressures can't they? Rather than just warning of a flat one.

Shame about the Vel Satis having the same hole-less key as the Laguna, thats not a good idea. Though are some keyless entry, so you can just leave it in your pocket?

As much as id like to drive and own a 3.0 or V6 something or other, id find it hard to put up with the fuel bills on a daily basis, i already spend around £50 a week in fuel, that would easily doubt with a V6. As a second car it would be great though.

Have you got your Megane fixed yet? Decided if its still a keeper or if the Vel is its replacement? I guess you will know by next week when your using the Vel Satis.

Yes we have snow, its been on and off since Thursday, quite deep at times but nothing which has stopped me getting around, apart from the shocking traffic jams and slow drivers. Tonight most roads around here look wet but they are actually bright ice, no grip at all! My C5 is coping very well, i found the same last winter, usually passing cars which are stuck without problems.

Yesterday when i was going to work there was a huge tail back of traffic, as i got to the accident it was a 56 reg Megane had smashed over a very high curb, ripping the front suspension out and then hitting a lamp. Shame.

That Laguna looks really nice, good colour too. Your cars do seem to be spotlessly clean, you must find very good examples. Id have thought it would have had Leather, but it doesn't.

How is your Aventime plans going?
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Thinking realistically about an Avantime, I doubt it will happen for a few years. Being 19, there's no long term solution for insurance on a V6, and the 2.0 T would be frustrating - the Avantime is a big beast which needs V6 power, I reckon.

Thanks, I asked him to give it a check over for MOT and he's put a new set of brake discs on, so it should pass no problem. Yes, oil pressure warning is down to the turbo failure. Basically, oil just runs through the engine at idle - burning straight out of the exhaust, triggering the warning.

That's the thing about saloons - a lot less practical. Although I did hear that certain 607s have an electric boot??? That alone would sell me one! Getting a dog was the reason my grandmother got rid of her 406. She bought a C4 Coupé which has more than enough room for her Miniature Schnauzer! Although if I had dogs, I'm pretty sure I'd just buy an old Volvo 940 or 760 estate for £200 and use that as the work horse, keeping the french car nice and letting the old Swedish beast do what they're meant to do!

Yes only the two range topping Lagunas show the actual pressure figures - the others have a diagram of a car and a warning light. The offending wheel just flashes.

Unfortunately the Vel Satis never benefited from the "Hands Free" Renault card. My Mégane has it and it's excellent, no need to ever take your keys out. The Laguna got it once it was facelifted, but the Vel had been discontinued by then.

Glad to hear the C5 is going well, I really miss mine. We have one in work at the minute whose suspension is stuck up high. It just won't lower. The back tries, but then just rises back up. Probably the reason it's being auctioned.

Yes, I love big engines with an auto box. Just the effortlessness of the drive is fantastic. Loads and loads of torque and you literally just sit there letting the car do all the work - the precise reason I don't think a manual Vel Satis is for me.

Had the Mégane in today. Coolant temperature sensor was replaced which has improved the lack of power I had on cold mornings - not enough fuel was being supplied to the engine. But it needs a new throttle body which is likely to cost around £100. This is what is prompting the CHECK INJECTION message. I think I'll just put up with it until the Vel is road legal, and drive it over Christmas instead. I'll worry about the Mégane in the new year. But it's MOT is up just before Christmas - do you know whether or not they fail for having the Engine Management Light on?

Funny what you say about that Mégane incident. There was a smash on the motorway the other day; somebody had driven straight into the back of a brand new 60-reg Mégane which looked in a horrific state. Poor car, not even two month old!

I'll have to sum up which Renault has to go but I've been thinking about what I'll do with the money. Rather than spend it all on another Vel Satis or whatever, I'd love to pick up some old childhood favourites of mine. A 1993 Ford Mondeo - My first ever favourite car, a Renault 25, a 1986 Rover 216 Vanden Plas, a 1983 Ford Escort, Citroen CX - just a few cars I lusted after (I wasn't a very normal child). All seem to be quite cheap now so we'll see!
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Well i can imagine an Avantime being expensive for anyone to insure, though you seem to manage with the cars you do have. I bet your the envy of your mates, having such nice cars! Having said that they might just think your a bit odd liking such huge and luxury cars at the age of 19!

Don't worry, i was and am the same, my mates have tiny little shoe boxes, some with no suspension, some with loud exhausts. They are ok for a few minutes blast, but then id rather be driving my C5! Im 23, people think my C5 is too grown up for me, but i can think of few cars id rather have, but all would be big, comfort orientated, spec brimming, cruising cars :lol:

Ive always wanted a saloon car, as i like the shape of a saloon, but having looked at a few, ive decided that even without the dogs id struggle with the size of the boot opening next to useless. Ah, my car has to be spotless (maybe not on the outside in this weather, but on the inside it does) so you'd never tell that a dog ever goes in my car, so i dont find that a problem.

We have a couple of estates, but they too are spotless, even if i had a £200 Volvo estate to run the dogs around in (literally!) it would have to be immaculate inside!

A neighbour bought a new Laguna II Tourer, just as the Tourer came out, that told you the pressure of every tyre, so i guess it was range topping. The Lag replaced his Xantia estate, and he replaced the Renault with a C5 estate.

Ive not driven a V6 family sized auto car. Ive driven larger cars with larger engines but they are a different thing. One was a Rolls Royce Shadow, which was a very ungainly thing, reminded me of driving a 63ft narrow boat actually! A normal car with a V6 and auto box, i can see the appeal and id like to drive one, that might make up my mind. Though, im not sure if i dare let myself try one, i might end up needing one!

Well £100 isnt much to get your Megane back to full health again, at least its a fairly simple, cheap and straightforward job to fix too. Though parking it up and using the Vel does sound like a plan to me! However, with your insurance you need to be careful, as your main car should be road going, MOT etc. Im not sure if the engine management light would be a fail, possibly, however if its kicking out more emissions then it will be.

The C5 is a great car, it does everything i need and its a Citroen! I do find it hard to fault, it has niggly things occasionally but on the whole its reliable and its excellent at most things, especially long motorway drives which i frequently do and it makes them a pleasure. Though a 2.2 Vel would be ideal also.

A 2.2DCI manual VEL would be my chosen engine and box, im not a huge fan of autos and the 2.2 appeals more than the 3.0DCi. If I was on the look out for a new car id buy that off you.

I dont know how you get through your second cars so quickly :lol: If we get another car, a spare like the 1007, Xm etc. I spend for ever getting them as close to perfect as i can, spending loads of money on getting them that way and then sell them, having had practically no use from them. Thats not exactly the right way to do it, im sure! Though the current Xm is a keeper, its quite a gem.

As for favourite cars, I dont think I dare own up to some of my earlier favourite cars. Though I will say the S1 C5 was definitely among them when i was 14! As for the early Mondeos .... I used to love Fords, most Fords but in particular the Mondeo. Ive wanted to buy a Mondeo a few times, but since looking at the more recent ones as a daily driver and finding their engines are pretty awful and they rust like old Metros, ive gone off all Fords now. I wont say what else, gets a bit embarrassing now i know a bit more about cars.

:lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Having owned one myself, I have to say that the last good looking French car (or any car to be honest) made, for me at least, is the first shape Laguna II (in cosmic grey).
It was such a pleasure to drive.
Why oh why do manufacturers insist on taking a good looking car and then spoiling it with a "facelift" :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Too right, Renault design was at it's peak then. It's gradually just gone down hill since. Saw a Renault Fluence the other day. It looks like a Toyota!

Chris - My friends have got well used to seeing me in different cars, most of which provoke name calling, especially the turqoise Nissan Micra that apparently made me look like a mental patient, and the L reg Volvo 940 that made me look like a paedophile. However, the likes of the C5 and Laguna have always impressed!

I know what you mean about the car matching the owner. People see a C5 and stereotypically think "family man". I'm sure when I drive a Vel Satis everybody thinks it's my parents'. But good for you - exactly the same mentality as myself!

I think my job is the reason I get through so many cars. Every tuesday and thursday evening I know there'll be a fresh batch of cars waiting to choose from, and I don't like missing out. Tuesday night I bought a 1997 Mazda 323 Executive Automaticfor £300. In excellent condition, nice whack of MOT and it drives really nice. But it's japanese so I did feel myself slipping into a coma while looking at the interior. Somebody coming to view it tomorrow! Then it's Vel Satis time!

French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Always quite liked those, but what are the things on the wheels? I know what you mean about Jap car interiors, really dreary :lol:

Well your braver than me! I dont think i could bring myself to drive a turquise Micra! Micras alone are bad enough. I look after the one my neighbour has, so i drive that, its an 02 1.4 in an awful green/silver. Fortunately it is the Activ model, which comes with AC, parking sensors AND a balaclava as standard! To give it its due, it never goes wrong, ever, and it rides well.

Where do you advertise cars your wanting to sell? Thats where i have problems, getting adverts in popular places.

Yes, my mates have come around to my car and most really like it. Since i drive everywhere i go its usually my car which we all go out in. Beats their shoe boxes and it about keeps up too. :lol:

There are a few nicer more current Renaults, The latest Clio before and after facelift is a pretty nice car. But im not a fan of new Renaults, The new Megane is really ugly in 5 door form, the Scenic is even worse too, and what is that Wind thing? Yuck! The current Laguna is ok, but afer sitting in a 2 year old one, i think quality is very suspect and they dont sell well at all.

Your right Xac, a lot of cars are spoilt by a facelift, sometimes its an improvement but rarely.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Sorry for the delay in replying!

Yes Chris, Micra driving is not exactly an experience to prolong!

Well because most of my cars are sub £1,000, Gumtree always works for me. Most of my cars sell within 24 hours - as that Mazda just did. And it's free!!!

For more expensive cars, Northern Ireland has their own better version of Auto Tarder - www.usedcarsni.com - I would use this for cars that have difficulty finding a buyer on Gumtree. So far, only the C5 needed put on here, probably due to the 3.0 V6 engine coupled with a recession!

Speaking of the Laguna... I saw a Laguna III today and have to say I reallly REALLY like them. Don't know why but the front reminds me of the R21/25 :?
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive fallen out with autotrader, they have stopped me advertising on there, something about selling too many cars! They want me to list as a trade seller, when im not.

I dont know how it works out how many cars has been sold, i think it must go on DLVA records of how many cars we have sold as a household. As ive certainly not advertised many on autotrader. Maybe 3 in the last year.

So im looking for alternative places to advertise. I usually find pistonheads is good. Id like to sell two of the cars soon after Christmas.

The Laguna III is a good looking car, i thought about buying one a few months back, though its interior trim quality let it down. Trim had fallen off the back of the drivers seat, the glovebox lid was loose and one of the pedal rubbers was missing. Not as well screwed together as the C5 is.

The front does remind me of a R21 too, its a nice looking front, very individual looking really, stands out from the rest of the large cars.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10