Crackling noise in front end of Peugeot 306 95 XL

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jdadhra
My Cars:

Crackling noise in front end of Peugeot 306 95 XL

Post by jdadhra »

For the past few months I have notice a rumbling noise in the front wheels. The noise is only heard when the car is travelling slowly at around 2nd gear the noise is louder when travelling over a speed ramp and going downhills. I've jacked up the front wheels and turned them both directions but no noise was heard. Does anyone have any suggestions to what this noise could be and what could be done about it?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Only thing that springs to mind here is cv joints, but when these are worn they make the most racket when the load on them is at its highest, i.e when pulling away from standstill with the wheels turned at an angle.
Check the boot hasn't split and let all the grease go.
Feel the shaft at the outboard end for excessive play in the joint.
Is the noise and especially the frequency road speed or engine speed related, what sort of frequency are we talking about.
Also check the intermediate bearing on the righthand driveshaft for play, its behind the inboard cv joint.

Dave
jdadhra
My Cars:

Post by jdadhra »

Dave
Dave I've checked the CV joint, and there are no problems- I checked them by turning the wheels on full lock. Could it be the bushings? The noise sounds like a rubber noise- it's not like a metal rubbing.
Edited by - jdadhra on 20 Aug 2002 15:24:00
Edited by - jdadhra on 20 Aug 2002 15:24:36
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Not a collapsed engine and/or exhaust mount?
Alan S
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hmmm you describe it as crackling noise but would it be more accurate to call it a creaking noise, if so it could be rubber bushes I suppose.
You haven't said how it relates to road or engine speed, or does it seem to be related to just suspension movement.
Are there any vibrations with the noise.
Dave
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

A rumbling noise? Could we be talking suspension problem? More apparrent at low speed and perhaps rolling down a hill with no drive? Can you be more specific about what happens on speed ramps, do you hear a knock when going over the crown? Does the noise show up when going over the millions of trenches that gas, electric, water, cable tv etc. like to leave all over our roads?