Tales of a C3, a Goddess and some BMW's.

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

davetherave

Post by davetherave »

I have been doing the same thing to cure my ABS problem- apparetly with success!
(95) XM Silver 2.1td Exclusive.
(87) Cx 2.5 DTR T1 undergoing major cosmetic surgery.
GPZ500s
Citroenmad

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
red_dwarfers wrote:
XantiaMan wrote: Looking forward to the next FCF meet, as its been a while.
A few FCFers will be meeting up at the classic car show at the NEC.
Are many going to that and if so what day? Having just looked at the show website why is Friday £5 dearer than Sat/Sun (as if £20 isn't enough anyway)?
Im going, ill be there all weekend.

I didnt know there was a planned meeting at the NEC?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy

Post by DickieG »

RichardW wrote:
DickieG wrote:I picked up a new ABS sensor on my way home from work, fitted this evening
Bit easier than a Xantia then....you wouldn't have tackled that in an evening in the dark cold and wet!

At least you got access to some decent diag kit, and weren't left to the mercy of the 'experts' at the dealers!
Good point Richard, I forgot about how easy fitting the new sensor on the BMW was compared with a Xantia, no string required :lol:
citroenxm wrote:
DickieG wrote:
The great thing about decent diagnostic equipment it can display the readings from each sensor during operation so using ABS as an example I brought up on the screen the live data being recorded from each wheel sensor and discovered that the N/S/R was reading nil whilst the other three were recording the same speed.
You can do this With Lexia 3 aswell, I have recently driven around with a laptop on the passenger seat reading the Live data from the sensors... interesting in that they read a faster speed then the speedo - of course due to drive shaft size... :lol:

Its in the Parameters section...

Paul
That's how I discovered the source of the problem with my Xantia V6 when the ABS was activating at slow speed even though the braking action was very light, decent diagnostic tools are now all but essential if you're looking to DIY maintain a car built post 95ish.

I haven't yet made my mind up about the NEC show, I could combine the trip with a look at that HDi in Solihull,,,,,,,,,,,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Richard :D Pleased the Beemer is up and running again..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

Good news with my Xantia today, after spending quite some time exploring and listening to find the source of the annoying racket at idle it turned out to simply be the auxiliary belt needing adjustment by way of a slight tightening. The noise was being caused by the top tensioner moving/rattling back and forth, I checked all the tensioners (three of them) and found no wear or noisy bearings so the simple bet adjustment did the trick.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Good stuff Richard, however, with either the Awfull Spring loaded one with eccentric, or the slightly better "VAG" Type with manual adjuster one, can both rattle amazingly at idle!

Ive not come accross this problem YET on HDi's myself, only on XUD powered models...

The HDi thank god, returnd to the VAG style spring tensioner... after a short stint with the spring affair...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

DickieG wrote:Good news with my Xantia today, after spending quite some time exploring and listening to find the source of the annoying racket at idle it turned out to simply be the auxiliary belt needing adjustment by way of a slight tightening.
That's a good result Richard :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

My search for a Xantia HDi Exclsusive estate continues after travelling down to the west country to look at one today, mechanically the car was OK but the body required too much paintwork for my liking. Originally I'd planned to travel up to Solihull to look at the blue one advertised in a dealer there but unfortunately it was sold over the weekend so the search continues.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

I'm still searching for a HDi Exclusive estate but drawing a blank at the moment, I'm coming to the conclusion that I may be chasing rainbows looking for anything let alone a decent one better than the one I've just sold :roll:

Today was spent giving my BIL's 2.1 Exclusive a thorough going over, six sphere's, rear pads and disc's, new auxiliary belt and a track rod end later sorted the car other than a noisy N/S/F wheel bearing which I hope to source from an Activa I know of that is being scrapped.

It was great to get to get my hands on a needy Xantia again, knowing where to look and how to remedy was rather satisfying :D
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

Having thought about what to do with regard to an estate car I may well reserve my BMW for family/dog outings and use my Xantia VSX for day to day running round, whilst on the one hand it will be a shame to use such a low mileage example for that, I cannot really justify the expense of having five car's taxed and insured not to mention the issue of storage/where to park them all. If I could find a decent Xantia or maybe even a C5 estate then I may sell the BMW but having got use to the trendy image of a BMW moving back to a Citroen won't go well with my two ladies who have been enjoying the upmarket image. The slightly scruffy green Xantia Exclusive I looked at yesterday would be ideal for my day to day running around and a project car but I need to get real about the size of my fleet.

This afternoon I did a favour for a FCF member by removing a N/S/F strut from an Activa which is being broken for spares, the car has been down on its bump stops for months and both balancing rams were removed several weeks ago so I foolishly expected that the hydraulic system had fully de-pressurised,,,,that was until I whacked the top of the strut, Jim may have welcomed the douche' vert, I wasn't so keen personally as it hit straight in the face/hair :mrgreen: as well as all over the rear of my BMW inside and out (cream interior), not to mention all of my tools including my new Facom socket set inlaid with foam, deep joy :evil: oh I saw the funny side of it, well I might be starting to now :lol: .

Much of this morning was spent wondering why on earth I was at work as from last Tuesday I'm now eligible for retirement, that thought wasn't helped by working with three individuals who think that turning up for work is all you need to do, effort, what's that all about? Today was a really pooey day for me that wasn't helped when it came to home time and I learned that the North Circular Road had been closed so having unusually driven to work (I normally cycle half way) I was now faced with taking the back roads around Kingsbury and Harrow making my journey home last 1 1/2 hours (my neighbour spent 2 hours doing the same journey via the NCR). Why did/do I still get up for work?? Time to enjoy a good beer and relax.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

This afternoon I did a favour for a FCF member by removing a N/S/F strut from an Activa which is being broken for spares, the car has been down on its bump stops for months and both balancing rams were removed several weeks ago so I foolishly expected that the hydraulic system had fully de-pressurised,,,,that was until I whacked the top of the strut, Jim may have welcomed the douche' vert, I wasn't so keen personally as it hit straight in the face/hair Mr. Green as well as all over the rear of my BMW inside and out (cream interior), not to mention all of my tools including my new Facom socket set inlaid with foam, deep joy Evil or Very Mad oh I saw the funny side of it, well I might be starting to now Laughing .
I do hope you didnt get that strut all oily Richard :lol:

Im with you on the beer :wink:, i would imagine the trouble with giving up work is your hobbies wouldnt be so appealing if you have all the time in the world to do them, mind you if you have to work with people who dont it is rather frustrating to say the least.
Last edited by Deanxm on 26 Nov 2010, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DickieG

Post by DickieG »

Deanxm wrote:
This afternoon I did a favour for a FCF member by removing a N/S/F strut from an Activa which is being broken for spares, the car has been down on its bump stops for months and both balancing rams were removed several weeks ago so I foolishly expected that the hydraulic system had fully de-pressurised,,,,that was until I whacked the top of the strut, Jim may have welcomed the douche' vert, I wasn't so keen personally as it hit straight in the face/hair Mr. Green as well as all over the rear of my BMW inside and out (cream interior), not to mention all of my tools including my new Facom socket set inlaid with foam, deep joy Evil or Very Mad oh I saw the funny side of it, well I might be starting to now Laughing .
I do hope you didnt get that strut all oily Richard :lol:

D
The strut was the only thing not affected due to the pace of the explosion!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

no need to feed the leather in the Beemer for a while at least anyway, ive just done the same thing with my Activa, i thought with it up on jacks for weeks it would be fine but being an anti sink virgin i wasnt prepared for either the amount of pressure or the volume of dirty lhm it managed to throw over my, the drive, my tools and the Xm which was parked right next to me :roll: , live and learn :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to hear that Richard...

I had exactly the same thing happen on a scrapper in a breakers yard. We were after the strut tops and didn't have a 8mm spanner so I cut through the pipe.

This Xantia had been in the yard for months and on its belly but the douche vert was something to behold!

It shows how good anti-sink valves are :lol:

If it got in your hair Richard, don't bother with conditioner for a week or so :lol: :lol:
Jim

DickieG

Post by DickieG »

I popped down to visit my parents at Seaford in the BMW yesterday with Dawn and Danielle, after having a spot of lunch in "The Seven Sisters" pub where they do the most glorious steak and kidney pie, the girls wanted me to give them a lift to Eastbourne to do some shopping. The journey there is quite pleasant along the A 259 coast road behind Beachy Head however on this occasion having set off during a snow flurry, the weather worsened significantly, turning into a blizzard with the road becoming pretty much impassable and vehicles falling off the road in ditches so we had to turn back to avoid being stranded. What also played a part in my decision to turn back is that the last section of the road into Eastbourne is a very steep downhill run (requires 2nd gear going up) so I didn't fancy sliding out of control down there!

With all the snow around and an empty road it would have been rude not to have a little play with the rear wheel drive BMW :twisted: Danielle thought it was great fun but SWMBO and Mum weren't impressed at all :evil: and made their feelings well known to me :(

Back home this morning the weather was rather chilly here at -6° I had intended to change one of the bottom suspension arms on the BMW but I'm not so sure now, its still - 4.2° even at 9.20, I might have to break out my "Dickies winter overalls" and get the job done.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH