Computer help required

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Can i reinstall XP from a CD
If Yes will the install format and delete the hard drives
If you can get hold of the necessary CD, it's worth trying a repair install first, as you shouldn't lose your data and third party applications that way. It might or might not fix the problem, though...

You'll also need the COA number (from the sticker on your computer), of course.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

spider wrote:
myglaren wrote:Most Packard Bell's have a hidden partition to restore the OS from, rather than discs.
Try booting and hitting F12 while it POSTs
There should then be instructions for a complete reinstall or a repair install that will leave your files intact.
I'm well against that kind of supplied setup, as its not good unless you can burn recovery disks.

I remember about ten years ago asking about recovery options in a well known shop and they said it was partition only, so I asked what would happen if the hard drive died completely, they did not have an answer for me.
Just another ripoff method. I have reinstalled a few direct from the partition now and it works fine but as you say, corrupt HD and you are right up the creek.

I did have one without that option and borrowed my son in laws installation disc from his somewhat more recent laptop - worked a treat :) Never asked for the key or anything, didn't need activating either.

I bought a couple of HP's a while back that had that system but modified.
You had to burn that partition to 12 CDs or 2 DVDs, had only 2 attempts and had to be done within one month of setup. After that you were completely on your own.

Both of them went right back and I got a pair of Toshibas instead - with discs!
Never intended to do a reinstall anyway. Ubuntu does it for me these days although SuSE was great a few years ago.
I certainly wouldn't pay money for any version of Windows and wouldn't be comfortable with a pirate version either.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The corp / volume ones don't need activating usually ;)

Regarding the 'burn it now' , I do know what you mean. You can get another out of it, I had to do this to a friend of a friends machine (as it was in need of a re install and he had no working discs, they were scratched) , the 'burn your discs' said no you have already made some.

After a lot of registry butchering (they do not make it easy) I persuaded it to create some more.

They are bios locked anyway so were no use anywhere else, quite why they insisted on not allowing more to be made I am not sure...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks for all the replies gents :) :)

As i have no data/files etc that i need to keep i think the best course of action is a complete format of all the HD and a new install of XP or an upgrade to Win7.

Is there anyone that would be prepared to loan me a genuine copy of XP so that i can try a fresh install,obviously beer tokens are available for said loan and a promise of a quick return :)

Cheers

Colin
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Admiral,

What kind of machine is it??

If its dell i can send you a CD of XP, genuine, for dell machines :)

On the other hand if you have a 4gig USB stick you can spare for 3 days i can sort out Win7 as a test platform ;) but best to PM me :)
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
Just had word from the boy that one of his mates dad may be able to lend me a copy of XP so at present im going to go down this route until it turns into a dead end :lol: :lol:
KP thanks for the offer :D but its a Packard Bell machine and i dont have a USB stick so im up the creak without a paddle on that one im afraid :oops: :oops:

Will keep you all posted as i need the PC for the forum and some other insignifcant stuff like bank accounts and bill payments :lol:

Colin
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If the XP disc doesn't work - they may spot that it is already installed elsewhere - then try this!
Free, Easy, Secure!

If you can't download and burn a CD yourself I can send you a disc.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Just to update this topic :) :)

Didnt manage to get the XP to reinstall so gave it a go with Vista ultimate and now all is well. :)

I have my PC up and running with a clean 280GB HD :D :D

Thanks to all for your help couldnt have got it done with it 8-) 8-)

Cheers

Colin
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Excellent :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Nice work!
Did you manage to get all the hardware drivers for Vista? Used to be a right pain.