Newport visit tomorrow

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Newport visit tomorrow

Post by KP »

Unfortunately it looks like im visiting newport tomorrow :( (mainly as its a long haul on the train)

Does anyone know of any good places to have lunch not far from the train station that also accept AMEX??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Not Newport Pagnell I guess Will?

Dr. Beeching closed our railway line and station in 1964 and the old station site is now buried under houses so yes, by train to here it would be an incredibly long haul involving time-travel...

There's a Domino's Pizza near the station site. Not sure if it takes AMEX though...

Our little town is always referred to as Newport by us locals. I assume it's another Newport you're going to...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I considered getting a train from Norwich to Stafford. To do this, would of meant going to Cambridge, then London Euston, then back up to Stafford, about a cost of £200 for two of us. In the end, i got a lift, spent £40 for the Activa and £65 for my mate to get me there and drive back. Yes, its Dr Beeching's fault. :evil:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

oh yes on the island here we had a superb rail network, now all there is is a badly maintained ex pre war london underground train that goes from ryde peir head to sandown........and back :roll: mind yoiu its only 50p a stop and usualy the conductor lets kids ride for free and adults too if your nice enough .
The steam railway runs right past my house though and goes all day every day of the week, i love cycling alongside that track past all the old stations and bridges with a real steam loco going past, real timewarp stuff and i love it, mind you im a bit sad :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

oh, back to the op, i take it its not newport isle of wight either then :lol:
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Deanxm wrote:i love cycling alongside that track past all the old stations and bridges with a real steam loco going past, real timewarp stuff and i love it, mind you im a bit sad :lol:

D
Your not the only one, i have a small obsession with disused stations, bridges, viaducts etc. There is loads of stuff here in Norfolk.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

I'm just not getting involved.............. :wink:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

its the newport where i'm likely to see lots of white fluffy animals.........

Not pagnall im afraid jim. that would be a sensible civil service site location :D
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Thankfully almost all of the stations over here have been turned into houses but the ownershave preserved the platforms with original clocks, baggage trollys etc even keeping a stretch of track and carrages in some cases 8-) .
Its nice to walk the old tracks and see all the railway related buildngs and structures, shame they arent still working, mind you if they were it would all be electric and modern and rubbish.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Trainman wrote:I'm just not getting involved.............. :wink:
:lol: :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

XantiaMan wrote:
Deanxm wrote: real timewarp stuff and i love it, mind you im a bit sad :lol:
D
Your not the only one, i have a small obsession with disused stations, bridges, viaducts etc. There is loads of stuff here in Norfolk.
I'm happy to be a saddo meself also! Got the Keighley + Worth Valley Steam line not too far from me and a few others up here in Yorkshire,proper trains :)
I prefer 'proper' stuff * just look at my pic..proper 'planes!

* mind you, I do realize times change, steam trains are slow,messy,etc, and we'd be buggered in war zones with spitfires etc now :lol:

but you can't beat the romance of the era...

Sorry OP, for being totally useless to your original question :wink:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

and we'd be buggered in war zones with spitfires etc now Laughing
Well aparently they are not as useless as you might think, they are supposed to out manouver anything jet propeled (not the harrier though for obvious reasons :lol: )

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Ouch, talk about stereotypes!!!! Be careful as some may get the hump!!

Whilst Newport, WALES is likely the armpit of this Country, that old "sheep"
chestnut is a bit long in the tooth now even for an outsider who's lived here
for ever but originally harks from Newcastle and has heard them all before.

Not even sure if folks living in Newport have ever even seen sheep.

Andrew

ps. I know it's said in jest Will but some folk on here live nearby.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Newport is lovely, if a little expensive to live. Third photo down:

http://www.holidayoz.com.au/pittwater/photos.htm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HDI Dave wrote:
XantiaMan wrote:
Deanxm wrote: real timewarp stuff and i love it, mind you im a bit sad :lol:
D
I'm happy to be a saddo meself also!
And me!! I have the same obsession (as you know) as you Gareth. The Somerset and Dorset is one of my particular interests...

It has been an obsession for me since I was a kid. I watched the last BR train on the (now) West Someset Railway pull out of Blue Anchor Station in 1970 and after closure and until it re-opened as a heritage line it 1976, it was my playground. I confess to gaining access to the Blue Anchor signal box and playing signalman... I even scaled to the top of a semaphore signal and hung a pair of kinckers from the arm.

I saw the first WSR train run on the line and much later saw 92220 "Evening Star" running on it. Those 9Fs are awesome... More recently I travelled the length of the line behind a Somerset and Dorset 7F, 53808.

Yep, I do like my old railways...

Our long gone railway in Newport was just a short branch line that ran from Wolverton, 4 miles away. It was built to convey workers to and from the Wolverton carriage works, which are still partially extant, and to take Newport's senior school children to and from school in Wolverton. Once Newport gained it's own senior school, the railway was no longer needed and closed. In fact it was given a short stay of execution until the new school (which all of my kids have attened) was open.

Today, the entire trackbed is fully intact and is a footpath called, rather uninspiringly, "Railway Walk".

Parts of Wolverton Works are still in use but it's a mere shadow of it's former self. A large part is now a Tesco and the old Royal trainsheds, where the Royal train was stabled until not so long ago, is now high-class apartments...

Back in the day, most of the working population around these parts worked at "The Works". I attended Wolverton Tech in the 70s and that was geared for educating Works staff. It closed when the Works was scaled right back in the 80s.. It's been demolished and is now housing, as seems the fate of so many past places of employment...

Sorry, went on a bit there didn't I... Well off topic :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...