Removing the air-con

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Removing the air-con

Post by XantiaMan »

My new Activa will not be a every day car, and i dont use aircon that much, my Mondeo and the Transit have air con if i need the luxury :lol:

I need to remove the air-con rad and relocate the fans further back, the intercooler will be uprated for a front mount in the lower grille, with the current set up these is less than 2 inches between bumper and fans. This will also improve the cooling to the radiator.

Removing all the pipes, the pump, condenser etc will also save some weight and free up engine bay space, so i will need a smaller belt and different brackets to lower the alternator?

Any thoughts on the parts i will need?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Im fairly sure all you have to do is remove the idler pulley and fit a shorter belt, this came up on the XM forum a while back and since they are the same engine i would have thought its the same pulley setup.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Deanxm wrote:Im fairly sure all you have to do is remove the idler pulley and fit a shorter belt, this came up on the XM forum a while back and since they are the same engine i would have thought its the same pulley setup.

D
Seems too simple! Link?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

this may take some digging........................
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

Cant find it, it was jorgy9 was looking into it when he was trying to get a nasp 8v home with a siezed a/c compressor.
I know it will work anyway as the alternator is always in the same place and thee compressor bolts onto the sump with a longer belt and an idler pulley above it, the pumps of course run seperate belts.
i will compare my non a/c activa with my a/c nasp XM and report back, if im wrong i will have the bits you need available cheap anyway :wink:

EDIT, ok im WRONG, looks like the xantia uses one aux belt not two like the xm, seems to be an anti sink backwards step. the alternator is in the same place on the two cars as is the hydraulic pump but the non A/C activa keeps the idler pulley that the xm only has with A/C if that makes sense, i still think all you need is the shorter belt though because my activa has the a/c sump fitted, early cits only got the a/c sump if they had a/c, non a/c versions had a steel sump so it looks like its set up to take either just by changing the belt length and adding or removing the compressor.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There have been various threads on here about people bypassing he AC comp when the bearing has got noisy or seized. And it is just a fit a new belt mod, surprisingly!
Richard W
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

To save muchos headacheos, length or part number of the belt i need? just a non A/C car belt?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

There will only be a choice of two, this one 134VG0190 ALTERNATOR BELT-6PK 1080 XANTIA 1.2/1.8/2.0 8V NO AIRCON £6.85 seems like the beast

here

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A non A/C belt won't necessarily fit - without A/C the alternator is at the bottom, and cable route is different. You will need to put a bit string round the pulleys and measure the length, then go find one at the local factors that is the right length.
Richard W
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

RichardW wrote:A non A/C belt won't necessarily fit - without A/C the alternator is at the bottom, and cable route is different. You will need to put a bit string round the pulleys and measure the length, then go find one at the local factors that is the right length.
I remember the green one i had with no A/C had the alternator lower down, would it need a new bracket for this?
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Its not the Altinator that moves places with or without air con, its the HP Pump that moves... at least on the XUD models, not sure about petrols though...

If you litterally remove the Air Con compressor, you can then route the belt : OFF top of crank pully, under upper tensioner, up over HP PUMP, down to the ECCENTRIC roller, up to TOP of Altinator pully, then DOWN TO bottom of Crank pully, missing the air con out completely, but NOT madifying any other positions...

The air con compressor is indipendantly bolted to the Oil sump... as said above, use a piece of string in that layout I put and you'll get your length in MM, as the belts are offered in...

*** CRAP: Dont think XU Petrols have an auto tensioner AND Eccentric one do they????

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto