Best Driving songs!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote: Fancy an Ongaku then Jim? :twisted:
At that price Steve :o

Those 211s are a bit like rocking horse poo these days and greatly sought by the audiophiles..

Desirable valves these days go for a shocking amount. A pal paid the price iof a well-sorted Xantia the other day for a pair of NOS GEC KT88s
I forget his name now but Mr. Audio Note (not the UK one) handbuilt them all a few years back and hand wound the transformers with silver wire, IIRC he even made the switches himself. There was a two year lead time on them and they would turn up in a box with nothing on it, no instruction manual, nothing, for £56,000 a throw at the time. He was in his 90's then so has likely packed it in now.

Those KT88s look a bit more the business than the little glowing things in my Shanling CD-T100. Which are about the same as in my first stereo, a Philips 2.5W per channel thing that you had to flick the LH valve with a fingernail to get the LH channel to run :). Wonder what happened to that?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just had to stick this in here. Might be difficult getting it to work in a car though.

Power Amp
19.2KW :)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:Just had to stick this in here. Might be difficult getting it to work in a car though.

Power Amp

19.2KW :)
Maybe that's why Andrew always wants Xantias with sunroofs? :D
:rock:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:After all these years, I still love ELO :D

I love their mix of rock and orchestra. In fact any band that gets a bit orchestral is good for me. I suppose because I'm very partial to a good bit of classical music.
Did you see that Mike Edwards was killed by a bale of hay making a bid for freedom ? :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Did you see that Mike Edwards was killed by a bale of hay making a bid for freedom ? :shock:
Yes :shock: Poor sod, what a terrible way to go :cry: Seems he had very close little family but they did eventually track down his brother, I think it was.

He was an incredibly popular bloke down his way; a classical cellist :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Best Driving songs!

Post by myglaren »

Haven't played this for ages, was hiding in the case behind "Songs Of Distant Earth".
As I can't use either stereo when my son is in bed (most of the time) I looked it up on YouTube to play on the computer.

What really astounded me was the quality, it is superior to the studio recording (so I had to buy the DVD :) )

Maybe not everyone's idea of driving music but would do me for a long journey.

If you can tolerate it the bit in part 5 at 2':42" is quite rousing and amusing.

There is also a bit of TBIII tagged on the end, 'cause I liked the percussionist (thought it was Evelyn Glennie at first) but the way they go crazy in the final few minutes is ace.

Tuubulaaaar Bells II
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I hate Tubular Bells, more or less. Too gimmicky; especially the pre-announcing of assorted musical implements... The idea of a hearing out a sequel fills me with dread.

"Slightly distorted guitar"
..."Carefully wielded sledgehammer" :twisted:

Been loving LCD Soundsystem a bit for the steady chugging rhythms; an incentive not to go faster and faster (as opposed to, say, an upbeat rendition of Orange Blossom Special).
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re:

Post by myglaren »

addo wrote:I hate Tubular Bells, more or less. Too gimmicky; especially the pre-announcing of assorted musical implements... The idea of a hearing out a sequel fills me with dread.

"Slightly distorted guitar"
..."Carefully wielded sledgehammer" :twisted:

Been loving LCD Soundsystem a bit for the steady chugging rhythms; an incentive not to go faster and faster (as opposed to, say, an upbeat rendition of Orange Blossom Special).

The "Two slightly sampled electric guitars" always baffles me - I haven't a clue what that means.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Re:

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: The "Two slightly sampled electric guitars" always baffles me - I haven't a clue what that means.
Me neither :? For an album called "Tubular Bells" they actually make only a brief appearance which is a shame really as the end bit where they really do chime in is by far the best part...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

In the last clip (from TBIII), about half way through, after the little girl on the screen makes her speech, finishing with the words "Tuuubulaaaaar Bells" , the bells are quite impressive.

The guitars just sound like fuzzed guitars to me - actually guitar, can't hear a second one.

That whole video was quite enlightening to me though, partly as it sounds better than the studio version I have here, partly to actually see the instruments in use - I'm a musical dumbass and can rarely identify instruments, it is generally a 'nice noise' as someone once put it.
To see AND hear the differences in the guitars he chooses was a revelation - I particularly like the sound of the PRS.

I mentioned the percussionist, Jodi Linscott (very interesting history to her too) and although she looks fascinating, seems to be having the time of her life, I can't see what she actually contributes sonically.
Cliohhh

Post by Cliohhh »

This might be a bit controversial but one of my favourite cds that I have in my car at the moment is the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. That stuff is AMAZING, especially at night. You can have a right old sing-a-long. It certainly purges my self-conscience anyhow!

I once drove with a few mates from Pisa to Munich. It took 11 hours and the only two cds we had in the car were a Rachmaninov compilation - which was excellent - and the Grease soundtrack. Not so ideal! Needless to say by the end of it we'd our fill of both of those albums!
trooper30
My Cars:

Post by trooper30 »

Here in Mk theres a lot of baseball cap wearing hoodrat ferral children driving little 1.1 cars that have massive exscesive booming anoying sound systems techno techno techno and all that bollocks! So about 2 years ago I picked up a Merc that had a state of the art Bose system and twin power subs built in, DAM LOUD!
Soon as I got one if these little hoodrats pull up next to me with a boom boom car put the Bose and subs on full power and blasted them with the theme from '633 Squadron' played by the coldstrem guards of course! And if that didnt embaras them enough and frightem them off i would then swith to 'Come on eileen' which always had the wife hiding in the foot well with embarasment. :-D :-D :-D

But top driving tunes, and dont laugh, are Sing Sing Sing Glen Miller. Free ride by The Edgar Winter Group. My Sharonna by the knack, and prety much anything by the Foo Fighters.
2000 Xantia Hdi
2006 Laguna DCi
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Cliohhh wrote:This might be a bit controversial but one of my favourite cds that I have in my car at the moment is the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack. That stuff is AMAZING, especially at night. You can have a right old sing-a-long. It certainly purges my self-conscience anyhow!
Used to listen to that on the way to Brighton back in my college days.
Bringing your knees in tight is not something I recommend whilst in the seated position though! :shock:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
michael95r

Post by michael95r »

I go for Black Country Communion, Heaven and Hell, anything loud and noisy. Yet when I am home my tastes are really diverse, folky, blues/rock, etc.