Winter Tyres for the Xantia

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Winter Tyres for the Xantia

Post by red_dwarfers »

The Goodyears on the front are looking like they will need replacing soon and Im thinking this might be a good excuse to test out winter tyres if the weather is going to be anything like last year.
I'm browsing the on the t'interweb at the moment but I wouldn't mind some people with first hand experience to comment on them.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Will you get a spare pair of steel wheels to put the winter tyres on, save you having to swap tyres around come better weather?
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've got BF Goodriches on the front of my V6, along with some cheapo no-name specials on the rear.

They both have very chunky, open treads and are horribly noisy but last winter they were unbelievably good in the snow...

So, seems best to go for some chunky open tread pattern for good snow performance.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

I have been running Michelin Pilot Alpins on my Xm Auto this past 2 winters. The reason for buying them was moving to the East of France for the winter, and living at the edge of a mountain range.

I wouldn't run summer tyres in winter again. You need to buy a full set as well, you need the back end to have grip too. Take a look at some of the manufactuers site for more info on the tyres. They are made from a softer rubber compound, which has more incisions in the blocks of rubber that form the tyre thread. These incisions flex, and give the better grip on ice. The other thing with them is the water evacuation channels are bigger, so they're perfect for the rain, it reduces your risk of aquaplaning. The only gripe I have with them, is that there is a bit more noise from them, especially in the wet, but you get used to it.

Get a spare set of rims, it saves hassle and money for not having to go to the tyre man twice a year. Theres no point having them on the front for the back end to loose grip, and send you into a ditch.

They're not cheap to buy, but you weigh up the cost of repairs, or the cost of replacing a car, and they're a good investment. Depending on how much driving you do, you should be good for at least 3 seasons. Part worns may be the answer as they're much cheaper, and not too expensive if you don't like the winter tyres.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Winter tyres make a huge improvement in grip over normal tyres. We have a set of winter wheels and tyres for the C15, due to what it is it can struggle in the snow, but with these fitted it grips like its on a dry road. Very impressive.

There is a set of 16" wheels and winter tyres on ebay suitable for my C5, im tempted but at £300 its pricey for the use id get from them.

I think two winter tyres would be better than none in the snow, though it might leave the rear more vulnerable to sliding as the front will have more grip. 4 would be the best option.

I wouldnt ever advise fitting part worn tyres normally but there are usually some part worn winter tyres on ebay and wheels for xantias are quite easy to get hold of. So that would be a cheap way to get a set of winter rubber.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I shall be trying to get hold of some spare rims, in the meantime though I'll probably get some winters for at least the front as they are getting near the limit and sort the backs out in a couple of weeks.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

My Activa came with Goodyear Eagle Vector all-season (mud and snow) tyres on it. They were great in the snow last winter, but not really suitable for an Activa for the rest of the year.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's funny how people think nothing of changing tyres to suit the season, yet we are conditioned to seek a "partner for life".

:?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I also find the hysteria about part worn tyres a bit odd too. After all, who takes their 'new' 2nd (or more) hand car straight down the tyre fitters for four new tyres to replace the unknown history 'part worn' tyres that are already fitted????

Having said that I usually buy new, but then I do lots of miles so wear them out pretty quick even from new - couldn't be doing with the hassle every few months - unless the P/W place was next door or something.
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I dont often buy new tyres as they wear out to quickly to be worth it, i try and buy used that have at least 6+mm left on them and they haven't let me down in years of running xantias. the only car that got new tyres was the coupe and that was only because new was only a few pounds more than used.

Why not buy those goodyear snow sock things, much better and easier to use i imagine than have a spare set of wheels in the boot :D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

RichardW wrote:I also find the hysteria about part worn tyres a bit odd too. After all, who takes their 'new' 2nd (or more) hand car straight down the tyre fitters for four new tyres to replace the unknown history 'part worn' tyres that are already fitted????

Having said that I usually buy new, but then I do lots of miles so wear them out pretty quick even from new - couldn't be doing with the hassle every few months - unless the P/W place was next door or something.
Who would replace their perfectly good tyres when they've still got plenty of tread left on them though?
Most people wouldn't unless one or two have been damaged and they've had to or they're so old they're starting to perish.
I don't see a large enough source of perfectly good part worn tyres, certainly not as sets of 4 to provide for these companies selling them.

KP, why would someone change their tyres if there was still 6mm left and nothing wrong with them? That's what I don't get.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I agree Xac, tyres are replaced for a reason, I would think a lot of part worn tyres with good tread are from crashed cars which have been written off, i dont think id want to use tyres from a crashed car ...

You might find them in singles, as if one tyre is punctured and unrepairable its a good idea to replace the one on the opposite side. Though buying one part worn tyre for a car is obviously going to leave the one on the other side odd.

Looking at part worn tyres on ebay, most look fairly worn down with little life left. Though they are still wanting good money. Some tyres are very old in design and id not like to put them on my car. There are some Michelin tyres in Xm size which must be atleast 15years old, as the design is so old. Our Xm estate still had its original rear tyres when we got it last year, these were of the same tread design of the ones on ebay. We replaced them straight away as they are just too old to be safe in my opinion.

So no, i dont get the idea of buying part worn tyres usually, they are cheaper than new but have less tread, so your going to get less use anyway. Plus you dont know how often they have been driven into curbs or if they have been run underinflated for long periods. They are fine as a interim measure but id not like to rely on part worns as a source for tyres.

Yes you buy used cars with tyres, but you can atleast see the rims and see if they have been curbed. You can see if the geomertry of the car is right going by its tyre wear. Though i often replace tyres early, unless they look very good.

Buying used winter tyres seems a bit odd though, as you want the most tread remaining as possible to be better in the snow.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cars are sometimes written off, people split tyres and rims, some 4x4's need to replace tyres all in one shot so perfectly good rears are still ok, or they just don't like them and move them on.

The toyos i recently got for rachels SSS are amazing for £40 for 2, they have just over 6mm left, the guy sold them because he upgraded to larger rims and split his tyres and rims, no damage or puncture repairs on them at all :)

If a car is front or rear shunted or even side shunted and the tyres/wheels are ok then there isn't really a problem with it i think :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Unless I have been led completely up the garden path, part worn tyres are imported from Germany where the law is much stricter than here and tyres can only be used for something like six months before they have to be replaced - I'm hazy on the details but that is the gist of it.

Most are in practically 'as new' condition like the Firestones I had on mine since May and just replaced although they were only approaching the wear limits.

I did used to fit them to the Volvo, quite a few years ago now, but they never seemed to last very long. Prefer to buy new ones now, the Firestones were a cheap fix while I tried to establish whether there was a fault on the steering or suspension.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Yes part worn tyres come from Germany mainly, as it is obligatory to fit winter tyres there. Many Germans will have 2 sets of rims, some won't and they either can't store a spare set of rims or tyres, so they buy 2 sets of tyres in a year.

I have bought part worns for a couple of my cars now, and have had no problems. AS mentioned earlier, do people buy new tyres when they buy a used car? Within reason of course. But generally not.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive