Scrapyard Prices

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Scrapyard Prices

Post by spider »

They seemed to have jumped quite a lot since I was last there :?

Perhaps its just how they are now.

I obtained the following items today, all from a late (I think it was a P plate) 205 3dr auto ( :D ) with 40-odd K on the clock (and it looked really good condition too, shame it was in there) :(

One sidevent (the dash ones, I had to wait for a late model to get a black dash one)

Pair of rear lights (although one has a crack in it (I'll silicone that up as its underneath so will not be seen), but its better than mine that has gone really strange inside, the plastics have separated)

Washer bottle (front) as mine is damaged around its fittings (was an afterthought while I was there really but I thought I might as well get one)

One heater control knob (broke one when I repaired the PCB for the heater motor speed, a difficult thing to repair, although I got away with it)

One front indicator (again, an afterthought while I was there, I know GSF has them for about £8 or so) as mine I glued back together a while ago ;)

Total cost : £30 :oops: :?

Although much cheapness in reality, it still seems very expensive, last time I visited a scrapyard and purchased odds and ends this kind of lot would of been £10 to £15 max for all of it.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

My favourite yard, before elf and safety caught up with them, when you could go on a hunting expedition amongst the cars stacked 3 and 4 high (a challenge that I'm sure took a man back to his primeval hunting roots) the pricing structure was -

if it fitted in 1 hand £1 (or don't bother lad if you were lucky)
if it fitted in two hands it was £5
if you had to drag it up the yard it was £10
And if you need a mate to help you drag it up the yard it was £15

Now they strip them and put the high value stuff in the warehouse and junk the rest so no chance of picking up all those little bits and pieces. Seem to want 30 - 50% of the new price for most stuff on the odd thing they have wanted more than GSF charge for new.- I guess they call it progress.
spider

Post by spider »

Oh, this one is still a walk around and get it yourself place, otherwise it would be a fortune to have them remove things I guess.

I have been to one (about 10 years ago) where they just had a shop and you could not go into the yard, they would remove things for you or tell you they did not have it if they could not be bothered, needless to say I did not go back to that one again (its gone now too)
Andy.

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

spider wrote:Oh, this one is still a walk around and get it yourself place, otherwise it would be a fortune to have them remove things I guess.

I have been to one (about 10 years ago) where they just had a shop and you could not go into the yard, they would remove things for you or tell you they did not have it if they could not be bothered, needless to say I did not go back to that one again (its gone now too)
Well it looks like their business model put them on the scrap heap also! :wink:
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
spider

Post by spider »

ACTIVE8 wrote:Well it looks like their business model put them on the scrap heap also! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Andy.

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Pleased you liked it! :wink:

I find the opportunity to take it off ensures that it's cheaper in the first place, but also allows me to study how the item came apart off the vehicle, and helps to compare it to the vehicle you need it for, and it helps to get the practice on a vehicle which is being scrapped, so you can work more carefully on the vehicle the bits are for.

So I vote with my feet also, and do not visit the type that decide what you want, jack the price up, and therefore also don't help the essential research, as it can be fun visiting , and stripping the things yourself.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.