resurrecting 205

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jamestheoddone
My Cars:

resurrecting 205

Post by jamestheoddone »

hi all!

New to the forum mainly to trawl the depths of knowledge! I'm currently in the process of resurrecting a 205 GRDT that's been sitting on my drive, slowly being swallowed by weeds for five years since my dad passed away. I was HUGELY surprised that all it needed was 5 litres of fuel and a new battery to get it started! Nowt else! Having tried something similar with my brother's '96 ford fiesta and failed, I could not believe it!

Anyway, thats my homage to the beautiful beast that is the XUD engine!
LOOKING FOR SPARE DRIVEWAY SPACE
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

They are good (well, most of them)

The GRDT is not that common a model either which is good, is not too far from the D-Turbo models.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome James :D

I'm an ex-205 owner, both Diesel and GTi

I still love them and consider them one of the finest small cars ever made.

spider wrote: is not too far from the D-Turbo models.
I thought a GRDT was a Turbo Andy :?

All I know is the Turbo Duesel 205s go like scalded cats :P
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Having owned 3 in my life and dad had 3, they are lovely cars so much fun and so good on fuel!
I don't recommend rolling one into a ditch though, fun as it is, the aftermath isn't pleasant :oops:
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spider

Post by spider »

CitroJim wrote: I thought a GRDT was a Turbo Andy :?
Mechanically it is Jim ;) , minor trim details main difference (GRDT has the GR / GRD seats) , no tacho (only DTurbo has that as far as I am aware) :) , things such as PAS / Vac sunroof optional extras same as DTurbo models (UK at least, DT started at about 87 (old shape) in France. Only ever seen one of those though.
CitroJim wrote:All I know is the Turbo Duesel 205s go like scalded cats :P
I know :D , mine does (well, did) seems to have tailed off the past few months, I need to have a closer look as to why, although its still very lively so its not been a priority, although I do think its never been quite 100% anyway, I guess near 200k is time for some recon injectors though.
Andy.

jamestheoddone
My Cars:

Post by jamestheoddone »

mine's only got 110k on it at the moment and having done 250k in a previous d turbo (which I then actually managed to sell) i'm expecting WAY more out of her when she's finished!

btw...the STDT also had the tacho iirc...and normally pas and all the other little gubbins that went with the dturbo.

As for rolling into a ditch, it wasn't exactly a future plan! Saying that though, my first 205 (1992 xr) was reversed into at speed by an old volvo 940 and came away only requiring new metal trim on the bumper! Ah the glory days of cars/tanks...
spider

Post by spider »

jamestheoddone wrote:mine's only got 110k on it at the moment and having done 250k in a previous d turbo (which I then actually managed to sell) i'm expecting WAY more out of her when she's finished!

btw...the STDT also had the tacho iirc...and normally pas and all the other little gubbins that went with the dturbo.

As for rolling into a ditch, it wasn't exactly a future plan! Saying that though, my first 205 (1992 xr) was reversed into at speed by an old volvo 940 and came away only requiring new metal trim on the bumper! Ah the glory days of cars/tanks...
Yes, you`ll get a sky high mileage with maintenance :)

I had forgotten ( :oops: ) the STDT, I remember it now, all the extra's. Most appeared to be Sorento (sp?) Green with beige trim.
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I had an STDT for a while... It came to me badly accident-damaged and in a terrible state overall and was sadly beyond saving :cry: :cry: :cry:

This one was in Sorrento Green (gorgeous colour) and with the beige trim.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

STDT was a special run, and IIRC they also had a wooden gear lever, and 405 Alloy wheels too!

The GRDt is extreamilly rare, most were XRDt, the G donating 4 door, X 3dr.. GR gaining tinted glass and centre console, I was in the impression, though, that later GRDt's from around 1992 onwards DID have tacho,

I learnt to drive in a 1987 D reg, GRD that mum had at the time, and felt then they did NOT need a turbo!!

Blydi damm good car, and I still look now to see whats around... sadly now, most are GTi's... I guess the D's all ran to 200k plus due to the massive comfort and refinement!!!

WOW, theres still a choice of 90 205's on the bay - I bet most being GTi too!

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I learnt in my dad's grd :D remember it feeling heavy, but solid and damn reliable.. a comforting vehicle taking me down the A1 in the snow from Edinburgh to Newcastle many times..

It had some punch too, although driving a 309 TD afterwards made me hanker for a 205 with turbo and PAS..
spider

Post by spider »

I think (some) GRDT's did have a tacho as (some) GR petrols did, but...

It was not the GTi style instrument panel, they had the normal 'thinner' one with just the tacho on the left where the analogue clock would live. I've only ever seen one GR (petrol) in about 11 years with a tacho though so I assume that's what they did.
Andy.

jamestheoddone
My Cars:

Post by jamestheoddone »

my '92 1.4 xr had a tacho, but I just have the clock on the grdt dash (which amuses my younger, ford-driving siblings no end...).

I was reading about the stdt, and apparently it's only sorrento green if it;s on a GTi, otherwise it's called something else which has completely escaped me. I'll research...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jamestheoddone wrote:I was reading about the stdt, and apparently it's only sorrento green if it;s on a GTi, otherwise it's called something else which has completely escaped me. I'll research...
Ahh yes. Thinking on, Sorrento is nearly black whereas the STDT green is a little lighter. More that of the Roland Garros green...

The 205 Gentry was in the same colour if memory serves...
Jim

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Gentry were GTi's with an auto box only, and again 405 alloys...

Theres ma beautifull 205 1.6 auto on the bay at the moment, CL, EW and PAS, and they only want I think 300 for it, Tax and test too.. 68k or so with history IIRC.....

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

citroenxm wrote:Gentry were GTi's with an auto box only, and again 405 alloys...
And aircon and wood and leather :P The most luxurious 205 ever.

They were a failed Japanese export order and sold in the UK to get rid of them.

Lovely cars, very desirable :P
Jim