A wolf in sheep's clothing

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

A wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by batwad »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 2463564585
What engine's that going to be then?
Jon

Post by Jon »

3.0 V6 from the 406 or Xantia I reckon.
But, there was never a 3.0 tyurbo. I'm puzzled.
Peugeot Ecosse have converted a couple of 306's to 3.0 V6!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

seems weird to put a 3 litre v6 into that 306 when its a standard 5 door with no body kit or alloys. I can only hope they at least put gti-6 spec suspension on else it will just be a point and squirt car and only a wolf in a straight line, more of a whale on the corners :)
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Might have been a police special. Anybody with the money to do that professionally will have had the suspension sorted. The absence of boy racer C**P of bodykit and alloys is to be applauded. What a wonderfully discreet Q car. It may have been built to protect somebody of importance, who knows; after all this was the very reason for the Maserati Biturbo's existence. Totally anonymous with three blown litres and no giveaways. Hat off to whoever. Class!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

As an aside to this topic, I read once that the Gendarmerie used V6 CX breaks which were supposedly supercharged Maser lumps from the SM. Good for 170 MPH I seem to remember but being only one uncorroborated source, I don't know for sure. Does anybody else?
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Might have been a police special. Anybody with the money to do that professionally will have had the suspension sorted. The absence of boy racer C**P of bodykit and alloys is to be applauded. What a wonderfully discreet Q car. It may have been built to protect somebody of importance, who knows; after all this was the very reason for the Maserati Biturbo's existence. Totally anonymous with three blown litres and no giveaways. Hat off to whoever. Class!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The chaps at work couldn't understand it, why you wouldn't want it to look fast. I love it, it's the anti-thesis of the chav and his Nova. Imagine sitting at the lights looking all innocent, when Darren pulls up in his 1.4. Priceless!
I'd love to have a look at that car, and a go in it, of course. The reserve price seems very low for a car that's obviously had a lot of time, effort and importantly cash poured into it. This makes me think that you might be on to something Tom, with the cops not really caring about what they get for it.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

accusing me of owning a 1.4! :) I agree with not tarting it up but it would only be any use if the entire suspension and brakes had been changed else it would only be quick in a straight line and then be dangerous trying to stop.
must be cops or something as its so rare if it really is a v6 conversion that you would have expected a lot of detail in the advert
s1zx

Post by s1zx »

I am guessing the cheap price is because the insurance for it must be very high depending on how big of a turbo it has (could easily be 280 bhp) and you always loose badly on modified cars. From the picture i would guess the suspension is modified because any 3 v6 would way more than any of the engines it could have had so i would expect it to be sagging at the front from the extra weight. As for it being ex police I do doubt it they dont need cars that fast they play the numbers game, its more likely to be some shady charicters getaway vehicle or someone that likes to blow away old fools in mercs.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Customs? Anti terrorist? Special Branch? or just some boy racer without the lolly for the bodykit before the insurance quote came in? No idea myself but some interesting conjecture. Has anybody fired off an Email to the vendor yet, to put us out of our suspense? I wonder if I can afford to insure it? No, I'd never afford the alimony ;-(
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Has anybody fired off an Email to the vendor yet, to put us out of our suspense?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've just received this response from him, after asking for some history and if the brakes and suspension have been uprated:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">We are a Dealer and the car came to us pre converted, it has been done very proffessionaly with correct cooling and manifolds etc, rest of car is standard. Engine unit appears to be from Peug. Executive Turbo so is not a "Messed About" engine, it has been correctly registered with the DVLA
Previous owners were a tyre company so could have been a "Pace" car?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've done a check on theaa.com against the registration plate as shown in the photo on eBay and it came up with an LX TD, though an online insurance company has it as:
PEUGEOT 306 LX TD 5 Door Saloon 03000cc Manual Diesel
Nice :-)
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

Oh, and the insurance quotes came back at £700!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

From time to time I've toyed with the idea of silly engines and modifying the outward appearance of the car has never figured in my plans.
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

Insurance at £700 sounds unbelievably low. Late last year I obtained a number of quotes for a mk2 activa 2L turbo, they all came in at between £850 - £1050. Bear in mind I'm in my mid forties with full no claims and no convictions. The cost of the insurance was almost 50% of the purchase price (had I gone ahead and bought it).
Interestingly at the same time a work colleague was collecting quotes for a BMW M3 (about same size as a Xantia but with 335BHP and rear wheel drive). He is 20 years younger and his best quote was approximately £700.
At the time I just assumed that the disparity was simply down to the insurance companies not knowing how to place the Activa.
BTW he didn't buy an M3 as the first car he tested he wrote off on the test drive, walking away with minor injuries.
Mark
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Rest of car is standard, eh? LEAVE IT WELL ALONE!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

makes even less sense. turbo a 3 litre which would have cost tons, put it in the 306 and dont even change the brakes? recipe for disaster