Write-off "dumped" on drive- what are my options?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimothy
My Cars:

Write-off "dumped" on drive- what are my options?

Post by Jimothy »

Hi there,

it's now 40 days since my Xantia was written off by my insurance company, but the damn thing's still stuck on my driveway, which is a right blinking nuisance. Everything the insurance company does seems to drag on and on, and I'm now getting pretty annoyed by the whole thing.

The DVLA have sent me the confirmation that the Insurers are now the registered keepers, meaning they're responible for taxing and registration etc. and they've finally sent me the settlement cheque.

Therefore, I essentially have a car that no longer belongs to me parked on my driveway, with no idea of how long it will be before it's taken away.

What options (if any) do i have? Can I:

a) move the vehicle onto the road, safe in the knowledge that the insurers, not me, are liable for taxing it?

b) charge them for parking?

c) have the vehicle towed away at their expense?

d) anything else you can think of?

thanks,
Jim
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Check with your local police about what you can do with an abandoned vehicle on your property as i reckon you could get done if you move the car onto the public highway
As for your insurers......you could

1.Send them a letter (recorded delivery) stating that their car is parked on your driveway and if its not moved within 7 days from date of your letter it will be collected for scrap and all costs incured by yourself will be deemed the liability of the insurers.

Send the letter to their debt recoveries department and their legal department,should get a few people involved :wink:

2.Was the car recovered to your driveway or driven by you.If it was recovered you could always give the recovery firm a ring as ask their opinion

Colin
Jimothy
My Cars:

Post by Jimothy »

admiral51 wrote: 2.Was the car recovered to your driveway or driven by you.If it was recovered you could always give the recovery firm a ring as ask their opinion
recovered by the salvage agent who would have towed it straight to their yard if it hadn't been so late in the day, apparently-
At the time it seemed quite useful to have it brought back here, as the car was full of my tools which I would have had to fetch myself otherwise, but now I'm kind of wishing they'd just towed it away at the time :roll:
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

In that case id give them a ring and see if there is any chance they could come and get.If they take it back to their yard then they have more chance of the insurers actually doing something about it :)

Colin
Jimothy
My Cars:

Post by Jimothy »

hmm, might give them a ring but suspect they'll say the insurance company need to instruct them to do so (otherwise, what's in it for them to go to the expense of towing it away?)
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

admiral51 wrote: As for your insurers......you could

1.Send them a letter (recorded delivery) stating that their car is parked on your driveway and if its not moved within 7 days from date of your letter it will be collected for scrap and all costs incured by yourself will be deemed the liability of the insurers.

Colin
That's what I'd do, or ring the aforementioned recovery agent,as also said.

Or like you say, charge them for parking, per day...it's on your land - there's a well known bloke in Haworth who charges people for using his land,he's even jovial, calls himself Dick Turpin! really!

Depends how quickly you want it shifting,
I don't know about your town, but here in Bradford, there's plenty reports of unscrupulous scrap merchants driving round, or getting wind of an abandoned car, and Hi Ab ing it away,never to be seen again :-**
Last edited by HDI Dave on 21 Sep 2010, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Are there any more details on it??

You could always ask them if they are ok with you selling it on as scrap seeing as they haven't picked it up and they may say yes....
Think of how much it would cost to recover and then arrange flogging it on and you would already be near £100 there :(
Jimothy
My Cars:

Post by Jimothy »

KP wrote:Are there any more details on it??
Do you mean the car? if so,
T-reg 2.0L petrol Xantia estate - still runs fine, but bonnet, front bumper and lights smashed.

If not, what do you mean?
You could always ask them if they are ok with you selling it on as scrap seeing as they haven't picked it up and they may say yes....
Think of how much it would cost to recover and then arrange flogging it on and you would already be near £100 there :(
Interesting idea - I've already had a couple of chancers knock on my door making enquiries...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Jimothy wrote:..I've already had a couple of chancers knock on my door making enquiries...
Funnily enough I had the same thing yesterday. The Activa is currently on SORN and a bloke came and asked if I wanted to sell it. I told him in no uncertain terms that it was not for sale and never would be for the price he would likely want to pay for it.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'd be simply notifying the insurers that as the car was theirs, and on my property without suitable arrangement, I could not be held responsible for its future condition.

And promptly start selling bits on the sly!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would tell them if they dont move it ASAP you will be changing your insurance company,

regards malcolm

ps.
whats the condition and colour of the rest of the car, as i could do with a good shell to swap my scruffy XANT estate into,
Jimothy
My Cars:

Post by Jimothy »

citronut wrote:i would tell them if they dont move it ASAP you will be changing your insurance company,
you think I haven't swapped already???
whats the condition and colour of the rest of the car, as i could do with a good shell to swap my scruffy XANT estate into,
Scruffy - it was my work horse (I'm a professional gardener), not a loved family car.