Robyn's passed her test!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's not that roll makes me feel quesay Richard, it's just sheer fright and that optical illusion you describle is exactly what does it for me. My ears give me plenty of problems but that's another story entirely :twisted:

A good case in point is Berkhamstead station, where nothing stops except the real slow trains, is built on a sharp curve and whalloping through there on a Pendolino you appear to be travelling horizontally along the platform and about to demolish all the buildings on it :lol:

A similar thing happens on the Leighton Buzzard curves just before the tunnel. It seems you're travelling against the cutting and how it doesn't slam into the tunnel portal is a miracle :lol:

Another aspect of the Pendolino I hate is the tiny windows. I find the thing to be utterly claustrophobic and that is a big problem for me as that's something else I suffer with :evil: Modern cars I find are terribly claustrophobic for me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

They really do need to sort out the MK-Euston line, there are two sections in quick succession where I think it goes from the fast track to the normal track and quite often people get thrown off their feet when caught unawares. It is worse on the LM train though, normally because it's totally packed.
That reminds me, must get my train ticket for tomorrow! :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

We've strayed a little from the topic, but
RichardW wrote: I had a very odd experience on a Pendolino a couple of months ago - probably around MK somewhere :wink: Going round a corner and looking out the window it appeared that the groud was sloping up away from the train - and yet this was across a piece of land where there were additional tracks. So it can't have been sloping :? Presume it was some sort of optical illusion due to the tilt of the train and speed combined which meant it felt like a natural 1g upright situation, when in fact it clearly wasn't! I rather enjoyed the trip (London - Glasgow return) actually - apart from the 1.5 hours spent outside Preston station with OH wire problems, and passing the branch line to Lanark but having to go all the way into and out of Glasgow again to get down it, meaning I was within 3 miles of the end of the journey, but it took nearly another 2 hours to complete. And they wonder why we prefer our cars!

Richard, Much as we would love to be able to call at more stations the DfT have decreed that we are a long distance TOC (Train Operating Company) and therefore that is the reason why the majority of our London/Glasgow services at first stop Warrington. Leaving the likes of London Midland, East Midlands and Scotrail to transfer to short distance customers.
CitroJim wrote: Another aspect of the Pendolino I hate is the tiny windows. I find the thing to be utterly claustrophobic
Jim, you should try First Class, you can have a whole window to yourself :wink: sorry couldn't resist :D
Xac wrote:They really do need to sort out the MK-Euston line, there are two sections in quick succession where I think it goes from the fast track to the normal track and quite often people get thrown off their feet when caught unawares.
Xac, what can I say, Good old Network Rail, don't you just love them ???
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

First Class on Virgin is indeed lovely, especially with the free wifi :)
When there was the rail disruption during the snowy period earlier this year they were letting normal ticket holders into First Class seats.
Normally on the few occasions I catch the Virgin train I either stand by the doors in the First Class or try and get to the jump seat by the toilet as many people don't realise it's there :)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've enjoyed a bit of role-reversal this evening :D

Robyn came around to see me earlier and ended up giving me a lift to Tesco, collecting Siany and her friend from Majorettes and taking us all home :D

Not dad's taxi but Robyn's taxi :lol: :lol:

It's an expensive one though... True to form, her car was running on fumes and it cost me £20 in petrol :roll:

She's driving like a good 'un. Sensibly cautious. I hope she continues like that...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ah the old "Can I give you a lift dad? Oh shucks I'm low on fuel *innocent look*" technique ;)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:Ah the old "Can I give you a lift dad? Oh shucks I'm low on fuel *innocent look*" technique ;)
Yep, that's it! Works every time as well :roll: :D
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

A simple restricting technique, would be an American car with massively thirsty engine. My International light truck (with 345in³ low-compression motor and lumpy cam) would do about 30 miles for £15 in commute mode.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim wrote
"collecting Siany and her friend from Majorettes"

just make sure Robyn does not try pug twirlling,

regards malcolm
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Nice one :wink:
It's been nearly three years since I passed :shock:
Time soon goes and you wonder how you would have coped without.

A tip - Even on the roads you could drive with your eyes closed, treat each bend, junction or other hazard like its the first time you've driven on it. Get your observations right every time, its very easy to look and not see. Basically, strive to make yourself a better observer than anyone else on the road.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

And never let the 'instructor' leave your side. It helps to sort of imagine that there's someone there, observing and judging what you do. Pretty soon you'll become your own worst critic and sharpen up continuously. Never slack.
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k