Robyn's passed her test!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: I note that I'm not on that list Jim :twisted:
Don't take it personally Xac! believe me, it is a very serious problem for me and keeps me out of the air, off buses, coaches and Taxis. In fact any mode of transport I'm not in full control of. The only form of transport I'm relatively happy in is a train and then not a Pendolino - they terrify me. I must be the only person who will, given the choice between a Virgin Pendolino or a stopping Silverlink train to travel to London, choose the latter because it's slower and doesn't tilt. The tilt of a Pendo terrifies me rigid, especially as it swings around the Leighton Buzzard curves and through Berkhamstead station.

For similar reasons I cannot travel on a Dockland Light Railway train.

I can't even bear a car that rolls - hence my ownership of an Activa and Hydractive V6s. Roll terrifies me.

It's a serious condition that is getting worse. Not good at all.

Paul (CitroenXM) makes the list only because he offered me a trip in his XM (which I badly wanted to experience) and only after I told him the full story of my issues; he fully understood and drove magnificently, albeit slowly with me as passenger. I'm sure he really wanted to give it beans on many occasions..

Similarly, I'm by no means a quick or adventurous driver. 70 is about my top and any faster than that I feel most uncomfortable, even in a V6.

I'm sure this condition I have has a name, no doubt ending in phobia :(

It's not you Xac, it's me :roll: Honest.

If I go anywhere in a group, as a group of us are next weekend off to the Norfolk Broads, I'll always volunteer to drive simply to cover my problem.

I love theme parks and roller coasters and would love to ride them but alas I can't. Once at Alton Towers I tried to ride the cable car and at the last moment I lost my nerve and lept off the thing as it started to move out of the station and ran away. That, I learned later, caused the whole thing to be emergency stopped and stranded a load of innocent passengers :oops: bet I was popular...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's ok Jim, I'm the same, I hate being a passenger too, especially if my dad is behind the wheel!

Danielle's mum suffers from bad travel sickness, her dad was involved in a very serious car accident a few years back and hasn't himself been driving again for very long, and doesn't yet feel up to driving on motorways, but they both slept most of the drive back from Whitby, and sang Cassy's praises to Danielle's uncle saying how safe they felt :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

CitroJim wrote: The only form of transport I'm relatively happy in is a train and then not a Pendolino - they terrify me. I must be the only person who will, given the choice between a Virgin Pendolino or a stopping Silverlink train to travel to London, choose the latter because it's slower and doesn't tilt. The tilt of a Pendo terrifies me rigid, especially as it swings around the Leighton Buzzard curves and through Berkhamstead station.
We can run them in non-tilt Jim, just makes them a bit slower :wink:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Trainman wrote:
CitroJim wrote: The only form of transport I'm relatively happy in is a train and then not a Pendolino - they terrify me. I must be the only person who will, given the choice between a Virgin Pendolino or a stopping Silverlink train to travel to London, choose the latter because it's slower and doesn't tilt. The tilt of a Pendo terrifies me rigid, especially as it swings around the Leighton Buzzard curves and through Berkhamstead station.
We can run them in non-tilt Jim, just makes them a bit slower :wink:
Can you make Silverlink run from MK to Euston again though? ;)

DIY sphere tool
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Xac wrote: Can you make Silverlink run from MK to Euston again though? ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: we tend not to bother to much with the "little towns", MK ???? :wink:
Steve

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Jim wrote
"the latter because it's slower and doesn't tilt"

what like a dersh (2CV) then Jim,

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I suppose the spoiler, aux gauges, 17" wheels and blue silicone hose kit are ordered by now...

The hardest bit to convey to young people is that accidents hurt, and can involve them. Moreover, there's no "replay" button that lets you have another go at the same situation.

Passengering is a funny thing; a mate once got the back of my Xantia out on a gravel road whilst myself and another were passengers. I was like "Hey, let's go back and do that again!"...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Trainman wrote:
Xac wrote: Can you make Silverlink run from MK to Euston again though? ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: we tend not to bother to much with the "little towns", MK ???? :wink:
Milk n Beans (milton keynes)
The Virgin train goes direct from MK to Euston in the mornings, but the London Midland one which stops at Leighton Buzzard on the way only takes 12 minutes longer.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:I suppose the spoiler, aux gauges, 17" wheels and blue silicone hose kit are ordered by now...
Robyn is a girl so all that stuff does not interest her at all I'm pleased to say. The most she's done is deck the interior out with some girly pink stuff :lol: I now fully expect to see a fluffy pink steering wheel cover any time soon and a little notice saying "Powered by fairy dust" Suits me if said dust is cheaper than petrol...

As an Aussie Adam, I thought her name would give it away!!! She was born in your country and given a good Aussie name to celebrate the fact :D

Xac, thanks so much :D I was worried I'd really offended you earlier :oops: And thanks for the train bit. It's been a while now since I've ventured to London on the train and forgot Silverlink is now known as London Midland :roll:

Steve, do you think a Pendo driver would turn off the tilt if I asked him nicely? And MK (we like to think) is a major station :lol: It's nearly a junction as plans are (were) afoot to terminate the Marston Vale line there rather than Bletchley. Shame as that's the last remaining bit of the old Varsity Line between Oxford and Cambridge still carrying passengers. It seems bizarre they closed the line as now a massive fleet of coaches ply the exact route of the old Varsity Line every day :evil:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Xac wrote
"Milk n Beans"

thats WORZEL'eeeeez int it,

regards malcolm
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

CitroJim wrote: Steve, do you think a Pendo driver would turn off the tilt if I asked him nicely?
Err, No :?
Steve

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

CitroJim wrote:
addo wrote:I suppose the spoiler, aux gauges, 17" wheels and blue silicone hose kit are ordered by now...
Robyn is a girl so all that stuff does not interest her at all I'm pleased to say.
Firstly WELL DONE! Congrats to the young ladie!

Secondly, dont discount because shes a lady they dont like mods!! Beleve me they do, there are a couple up here, however, I must admit they are no were near as bad as the male versions for outragious looks!

Well done again!

Rgds
paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

There's a woman here with a 206CC that's fully tweaked cosmetically. Lambo doors, custom interior, pink detailing to the engine bay.

And Jim - when I think of the name Robyn, first thought is the Swedish singer who can be rather forward in her lyrics.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote: Xac, thanks so much :D I was worried I'd really offended you earlier :oops:
No chance :)
Don't forget, unlike Danielle's folks, you've actually seen me take a Xantia round a roundabout while following :twisted:

DIY sphere tool
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Congrats to Robyn! Nothing like the feeling of going out for the first time on your own :lol: Maybe you should get your inner ear tested Jim, if roll situations make you feel queer - or just keep using it as an excuse to drive all the time 8-)

I had a very odd experience on a Pendolino a couple of months ago - probably around MK somewhere :wink: Going round a corner and looking out the window it appeared that the groud was sloping up away from the train - and yet this was across a piece of land where there were additional tracks. So it can't have been sloping :? Presume it was some sort of optical illusion due to the tilt of the train and speed combined which meant it felt like a natural 1g upright situation, when in fact it clearly wasn't! I rather enjoyed the trip (London - Glasgow return) actually - apart from the 1.5 hours spent outside Preston station with OH wire problems, and passing the branch line to Lanark but having to go all the way into and out of Glasgow again to get down it, meaning I was within 3 miles of the end of the journey, but it took nearly another 2 hours to complete. And they wonder why we prefer our cars!
Richard W