Xantia Steering Poser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ira1
My Cars:

Xantia Steering Poser

Post by Ira1 »

Hello, my first posting here. Hope the sifus can help out. Own a 95 Xantia 2.0i into 3rd year now. Have learnt to gradually avoiding the garage, got much help from this forum.
I've got a slow-cornering problem with my Xantia 2.0i; the steering linkage somewhere around the rack groans when turning left from straight on going slow. The sound is like 'gnk...gnk...gnk' from start of turn until full lock. Less audible at higher speed cornering. No groan doing right turn at same low/higher speed. Suspects CV joint at the drive shaft, but the gaiters on both sides OK, no tear.
Could it be the steering coupling? Perhaps there is a step by step method I can pinpoint where the fault is ? Thanks in advance[8D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Can't really decide if you actually mean a groaning/growling or a clonking/tapping sound [:)]
Had an owner up North which had a groaning/growling sound from the steering - turned out to be the steering ram (servo) cylinder.
The servo cylinder rod protruding the ram was dry/dirty/stained on surface - which caused this strange sound.
This rod is supposed to be a shiny chromed silver surface - lightly greased.
Once the rod was cleaned, polished & greased - the car was silent again [8D]
Ira1
My Cars:

Post by Ira1 »

Checked the rack arms at both ends as well as the steering ram & regreased them, but the groan still persists. Where else to look out for ?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most common problem indeed is the droplinks - those rods both sides connecting the swaybar to the McPherson suspension struts.
These droplinks are rarely worn in balljoints to such extent that play can be diagnosed by any manual testing.
But the balljoint's grease are prone to dry out - making the joints binding. When the binding slips during suspension/steering movements it makes for groaning - even clonking sounds - amplified thru the chassis.
A very easy & cheap first try is to penetrate the joint's small rubber gaiters with an injection needle - injection bearing grease in such amounts it will tend to press out again from the penetration hole.
Very shortly - a couple of days max - the grease will distribute in the joints due to the constant movement while vehicle driving.
It's by far the fastest, easiest & cheapest way detecting a very common problem.
If this cures the strange sounds - then you know. On the other hand you've gained at least 1 year reliable servicelife on the droplinks.
The reason I don't comment on the CV joint(s) is that these would always make a heavy speed related knocking/clonking sound when they fails.
The steering coupling would only notify you while turning on the wheel.
Any chance the handbrake cables are fooling you ?
Ira1
My Cars:

Post by Ira1 »

Anders,
Having had problems before with the drop links, I know the clonking of sound they produce when they fail. I'm sure this time it's not them. I'm interested in your comment on the steering coupling since I also get the same groan while stationary and turning the wheel to the left, handbrake off. Is the steering coupling serviceable/greasable or simply needs to be replaced ? I'm worried if it is the rack being faulty as I replaced it only recently with a used one, expensive stuff.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Replaced the rack with a s/h unit ?
Then you have already been over the flexible coupling - at least for dismantling/reassembly.
To my best this would make a sort of ticking sound while turning the steering wheel - if defective - and most likely the steering would be slobbish.
The flexible coupling can only be replaced.
As you clearly are focused on the steering flexible coupling - then pursue this suspect - untill you know what's going on.
It's a fatal part if defective - for obvious reasons.
A groaning sound indicates something pivoting/sliding is dry - or is misaligned.
Simply pursue the symptoms you have while testing the steering with car stationary.
The groaning you hear would clearly be indicated by a rough feeling in hand while touching components involved.
I can't warrant a s/h rack unit would be like new - sorry !
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Anders,
I might be wrong, but I don't remember seeing a hardy-disc on my Xantia (95 TD) when I was trying to fix the LHM leak on it for the MOT last year.....
I guess the other possibilites are a dry ball joint, or wear damage in the strut. Or maybe the steering column has some wear in it that causes it to bind up when turned to the left?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No - it's not a Hardy disc Richard - like the one found on BX'es.
Can't remember if it's a Tri-joint or simple cardanic joint - and can't find any webbased pic/schematic to clarify either [:(]
Ira1
My Cars:

Post by Ira1 »

Feels great, managed to solve the groaning problem! Turns out to be the right side track rod. Traced significant amount of free play during steering test with car on stands. Had difficulty removing the rod, managed to get it off using a pipe spanner. With new track rod turning left/right groan free. The old track rod had 30000 km on the car before failing, I think too short a life for a Xantia. Flexible coupling was fine after all.[:D]