205 front disks - seized?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuartR
My Cars:

205 front disks - seized?

Post by StuartR »

205 D 92 Jreg
The front disk brakes on my 205 (bendix) are scraping as you spin the wheel.
the disks and pads are practically new. Ive cleaned and greased the sliders, moving fine. The pistons Ive pushed them out 2cm cleaned and greased pushed back in.
They work ok but the only way that I can think they'll stop catching is if the pads wear down abit more.
Is it worth me filling them down? doesn't seem like right thing
Is there some kind if return spring like thing in caliper that could have gone OR in the master cylinder.
Could it be the brake fluid effecting it as noticed it looks old
ie air pockets
It is not terrible put I'm loosing money in fuel as its lowering the mpg.
Cheers for any help
By the way some sort of dark coloured liquid came out of the top from the brake fluid resevoir (out of the sensor) I thought it could be signs of corrosion of the sensor. any idea's anyone?
----
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The pad's will remain in light contact with the disc on any car, its just the nature of the beast.
There is nothing to pull the piston back nor does it need to be pulled back, the piston advances as the pad wears which means that self adjustment is built in without the need for it to be designed in.
Dave
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for quick reply, I couldn't see anything to return the piston on the haynes diagram so was a bit stuck for any ideas
(I've an older general car manual which shows a diagram of a single piston caliper with a sort of metal washer that goes round the piston which deforms as it moves out and helps return it as it reforms shape. So that got me wondering)
----