Do you speed ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Do you speed ?

Post by Xantia2.0 »

I'll admit on almost every journey I make I go a bit over the speed limit, not in built up areas as there, there is a good reason for speed limits, but on open roads the limit is basically for your own safety, and I've been driving for over 25 years and know my limits. My worst speeding areas are winding country roads, as I love bolting down nice country roads.

On short journeys I will try and keep close to the limits, but on long journeys my patience isn't very good and I just put my foot down!!

Anyone else like me who is willing to admit it ?
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Happens now and then, usually on otherwise deserted dual carriageways/motorways at night.
Never in an urban setting though.
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Thats one reason why I hardly ever drive my other car. (Mazda RX8)

Its so easy to be going too fast without realising. Lots of fun though, and of course only on private roads or abroad. Or the Isle of Man.
Etc Etc...

Normally, whatever I am driving or riding, I keep to the limits in urban area's and out of town I drive to my own limits..

:roll:
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)
landcrab
My Cars:

Do you speed?

Post by landcrab »

I never speed deliberately, seldom accidentally.

Deliberate speeding is not at all sensible,you don't get there any quicker and you are constantly looking out for speed cameras or police cars.By the time you get to where you are going you are a nervous wreck.

This is not to say that I am a slow coach,people like that are as menacing as speeders. I believe in quickly reaching the legal speed and maintaining it but not overdoing it.

In 57 years of driving I have never had a speeding ticket or an endorsement on my licence. For 45 of those years I was a long distance HGV driver,working long hours and covering vast mileage.

This record is beneficial to me in several ways,such as cheaper insurance and less wear and tear on my vehicles,which in turn saves me more money.

Consider this. If every driver stuck to the speed limit,there would be no speed cameras and no humps in the road to damage you or your vehicle.
You would also spend less of your hard earned on fuel and repairs!

Food for thought !!

Landcrab.
1999 Xantia 1.8 16v Estate Dante Red
1969 Wolseley 18/85 Damask Red
1936 Morris Eight Black
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I dont know how popular this thread is going to be, as how many people are going to own up to it, when your not really supposed to do it!

I hate driving slowly, i stick to the speed limits in the urban areas but out of the urban area i go by the road conditions. I like nothing more than driving a good B road quickly, though where ever i go my foot is usually well down.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Generally speaking, I do try to obay the speed limit, not had a ticket yet, touch wood. I timed myself going to work over a few days driving "normally" and then with a top speed of 50mph and sticking to the speed limit elsewhere. Made no difference at all to the journey time, and it really saves a lot of fuel keeping the speed down, reading the road ahead, and staying off the brakes. I generally vent my thirst for speed at the track, and public roads just don't seem so entertaining after that. Of course, an empty section of b road and all bets are off :twisted:

What gets my goat is that none of the traffic cops round here seem to give a hoot about obaying the speed limit.
'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I drive at a speed that I consider to be safe for the road and the conditions. This may be at slightly more than the speed limit, or at considerably less.

I don't believe a 'one rule fits all' system really contributes to road safety in the real world.

However, I don't drive with a phone in my hand, don't tailgate others, and I stop at red lights as a matter of routine. :)

James (Awaiting flames!)
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Moving as this has nothing to do with Citroens
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xantia2.0
My Cars:

Post by Xantia2.0 »

Sl4yer wrote:I drive at a speed that I consider to be safe for the road and the conditions. This may be at slightly more than the speed limit, or at considerably less.

I don't believe a 'one rule fits all' system really contributes to road safety in the real world.

However, I don't drive with a phone in my hand, don't tailgate others, and I stop at red lights as a matter of routine. :)

James (Awaiting flames!)
I never talk on the phone while driving, infact I've reported about 10 people in the last year for doing it! I hate tailgating; especially after my 1993 Mercedes 190E got rearended (and written off as a CAT C) by an idiot driving a 1988 Ford Escord. And the worst thing of all was I was on my way home from the dealership in 1993 after buying it BRAND NEW!!
1998 Citroen Xantia 2.0 16V I4 with 148,200 miles on the clock. Bought it with 123,000.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Sl4yer wrote:I don't believe a 'one rule fits all' system really contributes to road safety in the real world.
Generally speaking speed limits are applied as unfortunately the standard of driving from some individuals is very poor which results in collisions and fatalities so the simple/cheap way to reduce the collision rate is to slow everyone down. I know the argument of "I drive at a speed that I consider to be safe for the road and conditions" sounds great but unfortunately the reality is that a significant number of drivers can't make an accurate assessment hence a blanket speed limit. I know speed limits are annoying but what other way could it be done? Have a Police officer on every corner noting everyone's style of driving? Unfortunately its the same old story of everyone suffering due to a few idiots.

To introduce a speed limit it has to be backed up with statistics, number of residences, collision rate etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jimleshed
My Cars:

Post by jimleshed »

Is this a general discussion on speed limits (IE safety/political), or just a fun inquiry into who does what?

Personally I would seriously doubt anyone who says they "never" speed, as its almost impossible not to, unless you never exceed 20mph. In lots of rural area's (around here anyway) there are speed limits that go up and down without any apparent planning. Indeed, I used to commute along the A361 and there were so many changes to the speed limits it was VERY difficult to know from one week to the next what the limit might be in certain area's. One month it could be national (60), then 40, then 50. Unless you spent a dangerous amount of time watching the signs you could not be sure.
Oh for a return to a nice simple system, 70 on dual carriageways, 60 on normal roads, 30 in towns, with 20 around schools. On my drive to work (7 miles) I think I go...hmmmm
30, 20, 30, 40, 60, 70, 60, 50, 70, 60, 40, 30, 20, 30,20, 30. And all I do is go from my village to the nearest town, without any other villages on the way.

Anyway, yes, I enjoy driving, so I make full use of the road whenever I can.
Jim Le Shed
Citroen C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
Mazda RX8 231PS
Past history...
Mazda MX5
Renault Lagunas (3)
Peugeot 405, 205
Citroen CX's (5)
Citroen GS (lots of other Cars and Bikes too!!)
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

DickieG wrote: I know speed limits are annoying but what other way could it be done?
I realise there has to be a limit, but it needs to be enforced with common sense. Maybe careless driving as evidenced by speed in inappropriate surroundings or conditions. A speed camera can't do this, although I wouldn't disagree that they can be useful as a means of speed CONTROL in particularly dangerous areas. (Of course, a dangerous area should be engineered out in an ideal world).

I'd start by getting traffic police back on the road - they're VERY rare around here. They could spot those talking on their mobiles, or with their children stood between the front seats. Carry out more ANPR stings to catch the unlicenced, uninsured and untested. They must be reponsible for more than their 'fair' share of accidents.

'Speed Kills' has been the message for years. But in my humble opinion that is a long way from the whole truth.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Not Guilty M'lord. :P I have NOT done 150mph on the M4 at 2am on a VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Warning to all - A youngster was prosecuted on the strength of his facebook speeding admission.

I think most of us are aware that speed limits are a guideline and even 20mph can be too fast for extreme conditions. The phrase "speed kills" is baloney IMO. My argument is simple, a woman crushed her daughter to death while reversing in her driveway. 4x4's are great for the occupants... everyone else beware! :cry:

While riding a motorcycle I've been side-swiped by a Volvo and a mini changing lanes (on all separate occasions of course) and had a 38-tonner try to push me off the motorway and an angry Mercedes driver intentionally swerve toward me in a road rage incident, not to mention the van driver that tried to stab me with a screwdriver, oh and had a car cross into me on a roundabout - all within the speed limit.

Speed is the least of my worries when I'm on the road but the law will hit me hard with big penalties on the strength of a mere millisecond snapshot of my driving.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I did try doing 150 on my VFR**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] this week, but on 3 cylinders it was tricky :D

all of this was in Germany.. I did feel odd having to slow down to 100 on many occasions to allow an 'event' to happen in front of me.. really was not used to slowing to 100!.. amazing progress on great surfaces with drivers that never ever gave me any surprises ..
in the UK, on the bike especially, I do wander over limits, but anything approaching 3 figures make me fear serious trouble...
evilally
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by evilally »

Sums it up nicely :yeah:

'96 405 1.6 GLX with 306 GTI engine on Cat cams @ 195bhp

'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 102k

'97 406 1.9TD, 314k.