Par curiosité - Etriers de frein à pistons filetées

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Par curiosité - Etriers de frein à pistons filetées

Post by addo »

This is a nearside rear 405 caliper with its pink bits exposed...

Image Image

Both sides had a right hand thread. Lacking time and "gung-ho" I didn't pull down the caliper any further.

The rebuild kits in Peugeot/Citroën bags are actually TRW kits. Would be nice to work out what other seals are needed to do a full rebuild like the exchange units sold in Europe.

Peugeot want over £170 for a new master cylinder here; refurbing the existing one is possibly next on my radar...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Addo try a company called Brakesint in the UK.

They do all sorts of bits but not sure if they do vitrile rubber kits as i have wondered if they do them for Citroens and other calipers as some nice 4 pot brembos would be good up front :)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Could be worth a punt - thanks.

One fellow here dismantled a "sealed for life" ATE master cylinder (off a BMW, but similar) and found a pretty standard internals kit with stainless sleeve worked for it.

When you look at the calipers above, they are quite simple. The little bearing race allows for a mismatch between caliper retractor tool thread and the helix inside.

With new seals, a caliper is quite "tight" but if you take off its outside return spring, the handbrake apply lever readily pushes the piston outwards. Febi and others can supply new pistons for many calipers of this type, if someone totally rogers it with multigrips.