Family Trip to Norway (Xsara Picasso 2002)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Family Trip to Norway (Xsara Picasso 2002)

Post by PicassoPigeon »

The 5 of us(me, wife and 3 boys, ages 4,6 & 10) are planning a trip to Norway next summer to visit family using our car (Xsara Picasso 2002).
This involves driving from Plymouth to Harwich to catch an overnight ferry to Esbjerg in Denmark. Then a drive through Denmark to Gothenburg in Sweden for another overnight stop and finally on to Vågå in Norway.

With mileage around about 2200 there and back, do you think we are mad?

We have been trying to cut down the mileage but the ferry times do not match well with other onward ferries.
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As long as you do the normal checks and servicing you should be fine.
I have a Polish colleague that regularly drives to Poland in his and has no problems at all.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Would it not be easier to go from Hull directly to Norway?

Maybe you could drive from denmark straight to Vaga as its not much longer though im not sure what fuel prices are like and doing it through the night as long as you feel safe to drive is best and swap with the mrs for some of the long bits and get plenty of kip on the first ferry over :)

also make sure the kids have a DSi or DVD player each to avoid fights and keep them entertained and bank on a pit stop of at least 30mins every 3 hours of driving for kid breaks and leg stretching. the clean air over there does the world of good when your outside :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Or Newcastle?
I used to travel to Sweden with DFDS but is has been a long time since the last trip (1979) :(
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

The Newcastle ferry does not run any longer and the service from Hull is the freight one. This only leaves Harwich to Esbjerg and a drive around 3 different countries. There are also 2 very long bridges on the route that cost around £120 in tolls for the round trip :shock:
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles