Cool Citroen DS action - youtube

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Cool Citroen DS action - youtube

Post by HDI Dave »

Even I, (I get bored quick!), watched the full nearly 9 minutes of this great clip,excellent:

From 'poliziotto sprint', series? Here,there's loads of DS's etc:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... print&aq=1

DS loveurs look away...look away now :twisted:

Bit of a waste..

Heck of a waste :shock:

Apologies if reposts :wink:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

'poliziotto sprint' is an italian crime movie starring Maurizio merli (the blonde guy) its hard to get hold of but i have a copy on DVD. The film is full of DS action from start to finish....its more commonly known as Highway Racer.

Cool action :)
Last edited by vince on 21 Aug 2010, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

For reason's of safety alone I don't fancy having a prang in my DS, funnily enough prior to seeing this post I had been looking at NCAP test video's which were rather also sobering if you're driving a Xantia compared with say a C5 built from 2004 onwards.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

I agree entirely Dickie,
When I got my Xant I was curious,(noob Cit owner), so I researched, and the ncap rating was not great.
New cars have come a long way re safety,which suprised me over the old 'tanks' of the old days.You'd think these big old cars,built like trucks,would be safe as houses..but they're far from being as safe as an even smaller,modern car;

Check this out,big old 50's American iron v current repmobiles :shock:

again,the old school in me thinks what a waste of a classic yank tank, but it does prove a point, and certainly suprised me,of the outcome.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

DickieG wrote:On a similar theme a Volvo 940 estate v Renault Modus
That comes as a surprise considering all the effort that Volvo have put into improving passenger and driver safety in their cars.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

myglaren wrote:That comes as a surprise considering all the effort that Volvo have put into improving passenger and driver safety in their cars.
Or is it? I believe the perception on Volvo being safe cars is based more upon their advertising campaigns, IIRC they do not offer their car's up for analysis by independent tests, why might that be? Please excuse the cynic in me :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

In the Volvo's defence,(and I cringe saying this, as I'm a biker..), it was an old volvo.. maybe they've got better/safer nowadays?

I do see the point that Volvo have always been deemed as 'safe', cars,
but maybe it's because they're mainly driven by older,uncool,more slower drivers?
Ask any biker, Volvoman is the main thing that gets hit ,after said volvo has pulled out of a sideroad :roll:

Also Dickie, as you point out, 4x4's. I was going to include those as well.They seem to have a bad safety rep, even though their owners are 'in a tank'.
Big is better?

It would seem not!
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I must say that its always worried me that anyone should buy a car based purely upon it supposed ability in a collision, I'm left to assume its a reflection upon their observations of their own driving ability!

Don't get me started on 4x4's, how can anyone think that a vehicle that sits up on stilts can be safe? The most basic principle of road safety is to avoid the collision in the first place and by putting a vehicle on stilts it loses its ability to steer around an obstruction, 4x4's grrr
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm basing that partly on the commonly held belief that Volvos are (supposedly) designed from the ground up to protect their passengers which is somewhat reinforced by reports that I read while in Sweden on various developments added to the cars over the years.

Volvo have a team of investigators that attend every collision involving a Volvo and conduct a forensic investigation to determine the cause of the collision, note what damage has been inflicted on the car and occupants and the data is then analysed to see what if any weaknesses can be improved upon to prevent or reduce injury to passengers.

One such improvement I remember was revising the front wheel suspension as they found that in many collisions, particularly with Elks, the front wheel folded under the car and was propelled rearwards into the passenger compartment, breaking the driver's and front seat passenger's legs.

I think I would still rather have the Volvo than the Modus anyway - and it could be argued that they are at least part-French as there are/were a lot of Renault bits in there :)

And yes, I am an ex Volvo driver but did not choose them for their reputation of safety.

Perhaps those who do select a Volvo for their reputed safety features do so on the basis that while they consider themselves to be perfect drivers (and who doesn't?) that a collision may be brought about by circumstances beyond their control and in that situation they are better off in a Volvo than a mini, rather than an expectation that they eventually will crash into someone.

Those "car chase" things are too far fetched to be much good though - I can generally watch films for what they are intended to be - entertainment - and ignore a few glaring departures from reality but they do stretch the limit when they introduce the engine noises from a completely different source and have the tyres squealing on sand.

They always have to drag them out to the bitter end and repeat the climactic shots ad infinitum. Once "Bullit" had shown how to do it there was no need to even bother trying afterwards.

Those scenes brought to mind the spoof on the old FIAT ad. - "Designed by computers, built by robots - driven by Italians" :)
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

DickieG wrote:I must say that its always worried me that anyone should buy a car based purely upon it supposed ability in a collision, I'm left to assume its a reflection upon their observations of their own driving ability!
Couldn't agree more, Dickie. Let's face it, there are no unsafe cars, but plenty of unsafe drivers.
This NCAP rubbish is just a marketing ploy.

Most newer cars have tiny windows with restricted views, speeds that can achieve far more than the legal limit and are full of entertaining electronic gizmos to play with instead of concentrating on driving.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I dont agree, safety is a big factor to consider when choosing a car. I always like to buy cars with a good safety record, thats not due to my own driving, there are other people on the road! Cars have moved on, they are safer now than they ever have been, so why not take advantage of that. Some of the crash test footage of poor scoring cars is terrible and would put me off buying a car. Yes, so you might never experience the safety features of a car, but its nice to know the car will do its job in keeping you safer should a crash happen. After all, no one ever sets out to have an accident, but they do happen.

This is a pretty good video of old vs new:

Sticking with the DS theme, i wouldn't recommend lending this guy your car!

Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It is scarey what happens when new meets old.

as said in another video, if it was old vs old the outcome wouldn't be soo bad but as the new ones use the other car to disperse energy the old on takes the worst hit.

I guess a simple safety upgrade would be to put one of those super strong front bars in the older cars to spread front impact across the whole front.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

DickieG wrote:I must say that its always worried me that anyone should buy a car based purely upon it supposed ability in a collision, I'm left to assume its a reflection upon their observations of their own driving ability!

Don't get me started on 4x4's, how can anyone think that a vehicle that sits up on stilts can be safe? The most basic principle of road safety is to avoid the collision in the first place and by putting a vehicle on stilts it loses its ability to steer around an obstruction, 4x4's grrr
Brings to mind pinball machines............TILT...........GAME OVER.............
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

KP wrote:It is scarey what happens when new meets old.

as said in another video, if it was old vs old the outcome wouldn't be soo bad but as the new ones use the other car to disperse energy the old on takes the worst hit.

I guess a simple safety upgrade would be to put one of those super strong front bars in the older cars to spread front impact across the whole front.
For those in America who have thought of that, & don't want a 4 X 4 (yes I know that would be a rare type of person.)

If anything the 4 X 4 trend started there!

Have they been able to buy an ex police car, with the bull bars they use still on them?

They are the proper strong bars which are used for the PIT stop.

(Precision Imobilisation Technique)
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.