Bees and mealworms

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Paul-R wrote:
dnsey wrote:Apparently, while it does them no harm, they hate the smell, and will move
Mmmmm, they certainly don't like the smell but does them no harm? Well I think I might quibble with that!
Indeed, I recall as a lad when dad had an outbreak of disease in one of his colonies (can't now recall what it was) the advice from the ministry was to kill the colony with petrol by putting a small vial of it in the hive and shutting the entrance. I believe it was very effective.

I'm sure these days there is a better, more humane (beemane?) way of doing such an awful deed.

Back in those days, and we're talking 40-odd years ago here, a man from the ministry used to come and regularly inspect dad's bees for signs of disease. If any was found, it was Goodnight Vienna for the bees concerned. Does this still happen?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Yes, there are still bee inspectors although they are very much thinner on the ground nowadays.

Primarily they look for american foul brood (AFB) and european foul brood (EFB) which are notifiable diseases and highly contagious. With one, the whole shebang is destroyed by fire: colony, hive and all. With the other the hive can be reused after destruction of colony provided it is thoroughly disinfected and cleaned.

They will also give you a general health report on your colony(ies). Whether you do anything as result is another matter!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Jim, the thought of you gardening in a thong made me come over all wobbly and I had to go and have a cuppa! :lol:
I do agree though, a fascinating thread. I like to sit in the garden and watch the bees going about their business. Wasps however, I have never been too keen on. My wife who suffers with asthma has been unlucky enough to be stung by wasps a few times. Once one flew through the open car window and stung her on her back three or four times and another time she picked a can of coke up to drink and got stung on her tongue by one just inside the can! Thankfully she never suffered any reaction.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

demag wrote:Jim, the thought of you gardening in a thong made me come over all wobbly and I had to go and have a cuppa! :lol:
"Things you can never un-see"
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:Jim, the thought of you gardening in a thong made me come over all wobbly and I had to go and have a cuppa! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

I was guilty of using Aussie English there :wink:

In the Antipodean dialect, thongs are worn on the feet and are perhaps better known as flip-flops :)

Incidentally, I've just had to (very Sadly) bin my last pair of Aussie thongs (flop-flops) I brought back from Darwin. They lasted 17 years!!!

Now that's quality. Addo, can you send me another pair please?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: Incidentally, I've just had to (very Sadly) bin my last pair of Aussie thongs (flop-flops) I brought back from Darwin. They lasted 17 years!!!

Now that's quality. Addo, can you send me another pair please?
Info from a Oz and a Kiwi forum suggests that the prized and durable 'thongs' are Japanese imports :)
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

You are obviously very light on your feet Jim, as I am. My missus buys a pair of shoes a week whereas one pair lasts me years!
Last edited by demag on 13 Aug 2010, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

This thread is so interesting and becoming so varied I think it chould have a section all to itself!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

demag wrote:Jim, the thought of you gardening in a thong made me come over all wobbly
Haha, I must admit I missed Jims previous,but explainable, :roll: :wink: post...what a sight for sore eyes :P
My missus buys a pair of shoes a week whereas one pair lasts me years!
Same here mate..

I have:

1 pair of good working boots,doc martens,and a crappy work pair,
1 pair of shoes, weddingd,funerals etc,
and 1 pair of trainers,plus a spare backup pair.

The wife has loads, her sister is the same,and even stores them at our house,in the loft/attic,(so her bloke don't know how many she buys :shock: )

At least us blokes have loads of spare car/bike/household bits that WILL come in/get used :lol:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Happy to pack and post, Jim - just nominate which page of the Victoria's Secret cattledog I should be looking at... :lol: Thought you'd prefer Blunnies if it came to Australian footwear, though.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it be Uggs you want, contact Jane2010 :shock:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh s**t :twisted:

They got badly hit there :shock:

Their admins are clearly not as on the ball as ours are :D

What board (forum) software are they using?
Jim

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Looks like the same version of phpBB as here, with a different skin. Most current version has different (extra) thread identifiers.
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I know what I'd like to do to Jane2010 and it might make her squeal a bit!! 8-) 8-)
Dave
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:I know what I'd like to do to Jane2010 and it might make her squeal a bit!! 8-) 8-)
No doubt involving an Ugg boot and an orifice :lol:
Jim