Bees and mealworms

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Hmm, I ve just looked at this page about local beekeepeing associations http://www.britishbee.org.uk/directory/ ... ociations/ and it doesn't mention either mine (Cheshire) or our neighbour (Lancashire) so I don't know how useful it'll be.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I'm not particularly bothered about the bees

Just want an excuse to walk around in a hat with a veil
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

Wow,
If I'd seen that in my workshop I'd be doing a Jim,ie,vamoosing outa there sharpish,and the Xant etc would surely die due to lack of tool access :lol:
Well done Dave on the move,hope they're all happy.
Julz wrote:
MikeT wrote: If you see one walking or just resting, chances are it's out of energy. A feed of something sugary (I'll often use jam) and within a few minutes they'll restart their engines and buzz off. 8-)
That's interesting, I'll bear that in mind next time I see one looking worse for wear.
Uncanny, I found 3 shirts on the washing line this morning,(we'd forgot them :oops: ). Brought them in..and a bee fell out! Looked kind of dead but I still didn't want to pick it up,(can they sting when dead?!).
Anyway, made a brew etc and the bee started moving,very slightly,then looked dead again. Hmm. Shall I hoover it up!! I thought. Right,I'll get some card and a glass and chuck it outside.When I looked round it had walked 3 foot :? Then he buzzed his wings,hopped on the couch,2 minute rest, and nipped out the window into the garden!
Sounds daft but I felt good all day because of that 'dead' bee - (dead lucky) :D
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

HDI Dave wrote:Wow,
If I'd seen that in my workshop I'd be doing a Jim,ie,vamoosing outa there sharpish
Me too! :sprint:
Franklin
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Can't stand stinging insects. Stand still they say, don't flap. I just cannot do it, I am incapable of standing there whilst one investigates.

Bees I can understand - I still don't like them - they make honey, pollenate flowers etc and if you leave them bee (sorry!) they'll leave you alone.

Wasps on the other hand, serve no purpose in my eyes and are aggressive. Even unprovoked they'll come at me. I hate them. Pointless creatures.

Scarily, recently I've been seeing a few hornets around here.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
brmartyn
My Cars: Citroen C8

Post by brmartyn »

OMG!!!!!! :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:
Brady

Citroen C8 2.2 HDI Exclusive 2006/06

Previous French cars -
Renault Megane Tourer 2004/54 1.9 DCI Privilege
Citroen Xantia 1998/S 2.0 16v Exclusive Automatic
Renault Laguna Sports Tourer Dymanique 2001/51
Citroen Saxo VTR 2000/W
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have a bees nest in the attic above my bedroom window. As I sit at this computer I can see them reflected in my glasses, entering and leaving via the eaves. They often miss their front door and buzz around in my room for a while.

Eldest daughter found a wasps nest in her shed. Youngest daughter picks it up and lobs it over the fence into the bushes beyond.
Terminally fearless or terminally stupid, not sure which :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Much as we all hate them Toby, wasps are actually good and useful despite being so aggressive. They are the carrion crows of the inset world and do a lot to get rid of insect-sized roadkill and they eat a tremendous amount of aphids. What I thought was a wasps nest in my garden was in fact loads of wasps descending on my rhubarb that had been infested with black army. They cleared the lot..

Wasps also do a good bit of accidental pollinating. As usual, we'd be a bit lost without them despite us all despising them...

Adam, the redback got me in the foot whilst I was stupidly gardening in just thongs :roll: I felt a little irritation on my foot, scratched it, felt incredibly peculiar, collapsed and woke up in the Royal Darwin strapped to a heart monitor :shock: I was lucky it was a baby one or the outcome might have been worse... Robyn was just two weeks old at the time. NT Redbacks can cause cardiac arrest apparently...

Paul, thanks for bringing back a few beekeeping memories :D

And Dave, thanks a million for starting such an interesting thread :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Jim

Thanks for reminding us that wasps do serve a purpose. It might be pushing it to call them the gardener's friend but they ARE useful. I've seen them carrying half a caterpillar. They are carnivores and will pick up all sorts of grubs, worms, etc that might otherwise much its way through your roses or veggies.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

CitroJim wrote:Much as we all hate them Toby, wasps are actually good and useful despite being so aggressive. They are the carrion crows of the inset world and do a lot to get rid of insect-sized roadkill and they eat a tremendous amount of aphids. What I thought was a wasps nest in my garden was in fact loads of wasps descending on my rhubarb that had been infested with black army. They cleared the lot..

Wasps also do a good bit of accidental pollinating. As usual, we'd be a bit lost without them despite us all despising them...
:D
Flippin eck Jim, is there nowt you're not clued up on :lol:

I was,like Toby,wondering if wasps had any usefull purpose whatsoever!

We too have aphid infestations,the wife goes nuts,(specially with her roses..)
From now on, I'll have a different,wasp viewpoint. I think I'll agree to live with them,even if they are chav/aggresive insects. Maybe they just need some counselling/understanding :lol:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Xac im shocked your posting up pictures from a 'b' movie ;)

Round here i dont see many wasps or bee's but we have loads of hornets which aren't too bad :)
Julz
My Cars:

Post by Julz »

KP wrote:we have loads of hornets which aren't too bad :)
Unless you get stung by one, now that really does hurt!
1999 306 1.9TDi meridian estate (written off)
2001 C5 2.0HDI LX estate
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

A few years ago, I had a bumblebee nest in the floor of my workshop. Whilst I have nothing against them , they werebecoming something of a nuiscance, so I consulted a beekeeper, who advised me to put a small open jar of petrol near the exit hole. Apparently, while it does them no harm, they hate the smell, and will move - it worked for me, anyway.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

dnsey wrote:Apparently, while it does them no harm, they hate the smell, and will move
Mmmmm, they certainly don't like the smell but does them no harm? Well I think I might quibble with that!