ZX 1.9 Clutch Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sharvy

ZX 1.9 Clutch Replacement

Post by sharvy »

I need to replace the clutch in my non-turbo diesel ZX, 1995 model - has anyone got a set of instructions I could use [?]. I know i could buy a workshop manual - but its hard to beat experience!!
Cheers
Sharvy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi Sharvy -
Use the search button -
Replacing a clutch is a common DIY task - not recommanded as beginner's task though.
The gearbox must be removed - down under LHS wheel arch.
If you have access to high standards workshop with an engine hoist - it's recommanded to lift out the drivepack complete - makes the work easier - and does not take more time.
Our BX friend Bob Smith suggests you find 3 longbolts - same thread as gearbox mounting bolts and boltheads cutted off - to use for sliding the box on when refitting the box.
This takes the hassle fidling with the heavy box - if using the box down under LHS wheel arch method.
Whether the method - the driveaxles must be removed - and thus the gearoil drained first of from the diff housing.
sharvy

Post by sharvy »

Thanks AndersDK
The problem when the plastic bit of the cable at the pedal end broke - since i have replace the cable the pedal has been heavy - is this a sure sign the clutch is on its way out. I have check the cable again and it follows the same route, no sharpe bends, as the original.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A sure sign is not a generally heavy pedal - but if the pedal seems to clearly have a heavy point to overcome.
This is the symptom on the release bearing filed itself into the clutch release fingers.
A worn clutch in general terms mean that the clutch will slip when a higher gear selected - then releasing the clutch slowly does not stall the engine.
On RHD export models - it seems that all Citroen models in general have problems with a heavy pedal due to cable problems.
First option would then be to replace the cable. It has to work perfect - due to the sharp/odd bends in RHD's.
Obviously a new cable fitted must be helped to take as soft bends as possible in it's route - using quickfit nylonstrips several strategic places.