More main stealer ignorance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

More main stealer ignorance

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Hi all,
Today managed to get a bit of free time to give the GG her regular service, decided to be prudent and change the gearbox oil as well as I'm at the 129k miles mark! Now usually I get the Esso LT 71141 from citroen hatfield who seem to be quite on the ball at getting the right parts from part numbers, however today I went to my local (from home) citroen Hemel. Aweful bunch of rejects working in the parts dept, tried to sell me Castrol Dexron stuff twice saying it was the only thing appearing on the computer, only after finally showing them a picture of a bottle of Esso LT 71141 did they managed to find some, which clearly showed the part number on the bottle!
When confronted with the actual bottle proudly displaying the part number I had origionally given them, the part number which seems to work fine at hatfield, I was told oh its superseeded mate, thats why could not find it.

Its worse still Citroen Hemel have also told a neighbour of mine (the one with the sliver Xantia) that his LX is a Hydractive model! I had a look today its very clearly not.

No such trouble getting all the other sundries at eurocar parts though, did you guys know euro car parts web prices are more expensive than their in store ones? I was geared up to spend £71 there, based on a list form the internet, but all parts came to £63, guy at the counter told me its a common thing for their store and web prices not to match..

Anyone else had undue trouble getting Esso LT 71141 from Citroen dealers recently?
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'99 Xantia 3.0 V6 Exclusive (Green Goblin)
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'98 Xantia 1.8 sx auto with LPG
'00 Xantia Hdi (110) forte
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
'93 Xantia 1.9D lx (my first) R.I.P
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Not tried recently but I was told once in no uncertain terms that my BX19 TZI was a diesel, and by another dealer that the 2.0CT turbo engine in the Xantia didn't exist. :roll:
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

LT71141 has been (or is being) superseded by Esso (not PSA) apparently, but that's no reason to use DII instead!

I barely need the main dealers for anything. I registered ownership just in case of a recall or other issue, but to them I'm an inconvenience - owners with mechanical skills/experience are difficult to brush aside...
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: More main stealer ignorance

Post by JohnD »

Sid_the_Squid wrote:Hi all,
did you guys know euro car parts web prices are more expensive than their in store ones? ?
Maybe that's how they can do 'free' delivery!
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

That thought did indeed cross my mind JohnD
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

As they say - Nothing is for free!
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is there a need to buy oil's from the main dealer, if possible it must be fare cheaper to go to a motor factors,

how much dose the dealer charge for this oil,

regards malcolm
Sid_the_Squid
My Cars:

Post by Sid_the_Squid »

Only for the Esso LT 71141 Malcolm, Jim found a place which sells it in bulk, but if you only want 4 liters per year, and dont have the storage space, I think its dealer only.

Price seems to vary, its just under £20 for 2 liters, expensive yes, but a whole lot cheaper than a new auto box.
Gone to the dark side.

Past Citroens
'99 Xantia HDi Exclusive
'02 C5 Hdi 110 LX Estate
'97 Xantia 1.9D sx
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Have a word with these boys for a 20L drum of the stuff...
addo wrote:LT71141 has been (or is being) superseded by Esso (not PSA) apparently, but that's no reason to use DII instead!
Adam, what is LT71141 being superseded by then?

No, absolutely, NEVER use DII in a 4HP20 unless you wish to kill it!

My only contact with Main Stealers is to give them part numbers to order in. Our local factors on the other hand have exceedingly competent staff at the counter.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Have a word with these boys for a 20L drum of the stuff...
addo wrote:LT71141 has been (or is being) superseded by Esso (not PSA) apparently, but that's no reason to use DII instead!
Adam, what is LT71141 being superseded by then?

No, absolutely, NEVER use DII in a 4HP20 unless you wish to kill it!

My only contact with Main Stealers is to give them part numbers to order in. Our local factors on the other hand have exceedingly competent staff at the counter.
Mobil LT 71141, apparently.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Mobil LT 71141, apparently.
Thanks Steve :D A rose by any other name....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I don't think I'd want to be growing any roses that smelled like that stuff :vomit1:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not quite dealer ignorance this, rather dealer incompetence :evil:

Robyn asked me to look at her 206 because the gears were stiff, especially first and sometimes she had real trouble engaging first, especially when hot.

The linkages were fine so I checked the oil.

Firstly it was necessary to use a breaker bar on the level and drain plugs...

Secondly, the 'box was massively overfilled and thirdly....

It was filled with bloody DEXRON :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What half-witted inbred did that? Even the BoL states that only BV 75W-80 must be used :evil:

Needless to say, with the right stuff in the right quantity things are now a lot better :)

Seriously, if they can't get it right on a simple car like a 206, what hope is there for the more complex ones out there..

I despair :cry:
Jim

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

CitroJim wrote:Not quite dealer ignorance this, rather dealer incompetence :evil:

Robyn asked me to look at her 206 because the gears were stiff, especially first and sometimes she had real trouble engaging first, especially when hot.

The linkages were fine so I checked the oil.

Firstly it was necessary to use a breaker bar on the level and drain plugs...

Secondly, the 'box was massively overfilled and thirdly....

It was filled with bloody DEXRON :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What half-witted inbred did that? Even the BoL states that only BV 75W-80 must be used :evil:

Needless to say, with the right stuff in the right quantity things are now a lot better :)

Seriously, if they can't get it right on a simple car like a 206, what hope is there for the more complex ones out there..

I despair :cry:
They want extra money for their services, and their parts, and yet the quality of the work can be very bad, and too expensive.

The parts are also overpriced so they end up getting less work, and parts bought off them.

Not having proper skilled staff is down to HR, and tight fisted suits who don't pay enough for the good staff to remain at the main stealer.

They end up leaving and setting up as an independant, and provide better quality work at a cheaper rate.

The main stealer is stocked with a good supply of detritus I.E. F/wits at a loss to do the right/correct thing/task.

To be avoided at all (expensive) costs.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ACTIVA wrote
"The parts are also overpriced"

you can say that again,
when i enquired with our local F**T part department for a set of front brake pads for my daughters frenid's 07 punko still just under warenty,

i was told 73 quid pluss VAT trade,,

all because they require you to purchase genuine equipment whilst under warenty,

my local factors was asking 18 quid pluss VAT for Motorquip pads,

regards malcolm