Pay As You Drive?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

KP wrote: The reason they want to keep tax discs as its the only time that MOT's and Insurance are forcibly checked, though in my eyes these checks are pointless with the current MOT and MID database's.
The daft thing is, at the end of the month I'll be renewing Cassy's tax online, so there's no human check involved, which shoes this could all be automated.
Bring in monthly DD car tax, if someone's DD is returned unpaid send out a letter insisting on payment next month of both months.
This is similar to where you can backdate your road tax if you've been running for a month or so after it's expired.
If no further payment comes, then start proceedings as you would do anyway for someone not paying their road tax.
For monthly payees, use the MoT date as the insurance check date.
Simples.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Julz
My Cars:

Post by Julz »

Xac wrote:
addo wrote:You could argue that forgetting £20 one month is easier than forgetting £100 once a year.
Sorry I forgot to mention monthly would be by direct debit.
That would also mean it would be difficult not to have the correct address as the bank nearly always know where you live, unless you use a c/o address
The daft thing is, at the end of the month I'll be renewing Cassy's tax online, so there's no human check involved, which shoes this could all be automated.
the human check is just a way to ensure that MOT & insurance are present. doing it online does the same thing. Tried it last year on my wifes car and couldn't as it couldn't find valid insurance, turns out her insurance company had made a typo on the policy, put a J down instead of a G, so proves the system works.

That reminds me, my tax ran out last week :oops:
1999 306 1.9TDi meridian estate (written off)
2001 C5 2.0HDI LX estate
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

OK going a bit off topic but there are a significant number of people in this country without access to a bank account and therefore the ability to pay by direct debit.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Pay As You Drive?

Post by Gregg1100 »

If they tried this with the haulage industry, any savings would be swiftly eaten up with higher shop/supermarket prices, and EVERYTHING else you can possibly think of. We have Scanias on 07 plates that have done over 900,000 each. Imagine what that would cost extra. And that is only one truck example in nearly 400 trucks in our firm. And that is only one haulier.

And before anyone says put it on the rails, you can't get the railways right into town centres or out of town shopping malls, or picking up thousands of litres of milk from a farm way out in the sticks, to mention just a few examples. That Beeching bloke sorted all that.
Everyone wants goods last week, not have to wait for the rail staff to unload a goods van stuck at a siding somewhere.

I am at the stage where I have got fed up with the cost of owning a car. Once I finish work in 15 months time, I wont want- / may not be able to afford the expense, and as there are Lidl, Aldi, Asda, Somerfield and soon Morrisons not far away, and a Tesco express opening up not a hundres yards away, I won't need a car. Just have to pay the extra bit that will be put on by fuel costs, and get a taxi when I want to return from the pub--if we can afford to buy beer , lol.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

rory_perrett wrote:OK going a bit off topic but there are a significant number of people in this country without access to a bank account and therefore the ability to pay by direct debit.
With regards to my idea of road tax paid monthly the current 6 and 12 month payments would still be available.

For the pay as you drive system I would imagine a monthly bill would be sent to the registered owner's address with multiple payment options, just like council tax.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool