UK Breakdown cover

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

UK Breakdown cover

Post by KP »

Noticed on the AA's website they can now do something called 'Cover for parts and garage labour' which seems to cover cars as it says and costs a little more for cars older than 10years as well... wondering if its worth getting and then buying a car that is known to be faulty and then getting it repaired by them and then selling it on?? would this count as fraud if you owned the car and took the policy out against said car?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

More than likely it's like health insurance. You can't make a claim in the first so many months...

And I bet it has more get-outs than Houdini...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Limit is about £500 per claim -£25 excess as they call it.

For a xantia that would cover a headgasket ;) or clutch job or even a ram at dealer prices and fitting which owuld just be an hours labour on top?
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: UK Breakdown cover

Post by wheeler »

KP wrote:wondering if its worth getting and then buying a car that is known to be faulty and then getting it repaired by them and then selling it on?? would this count as fraud if you owned the car and took the policy out against said car?
Yes thats definite fraud if the car had the defect before taking the cover out.
You need to wait 14 days after taking the policy out before making a claim.
From when the policy is taken out the car must be seviced in line with manufacturers recomendations & must be done at a proper garage.
Julz
My Cars:

Post by Julz »

from the T&Cs states;
What breakdowns does cover apply to?
1. In order for Your AA Breakdown Repair Cover to apply, the nominated vehicle must:
a) break down as a result of Mechanical or Electrical Failure, and
b) as a result, be prevented from continuing its journey safely, and
c) have been attended by the AA under Your AA Membership, and
d) need the repair or replacement of insured part(s) to enable the journey
to be resumed or, if applicable, commenced.
Don't think that would actually cover that many things really, although the commenced bit sounds interesting if it's at home.

I'm with RAC, get it using my tesco clubcard points, (which I have loads of doing 30k miles a year and also have a tesco credit card :) ) shame they don't do it too
1999 306 1.9TDi meridian estate (written off)
2001 C5 2.0HDI LX estate