How often do you polish your French car?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul240480
My Cars:

Post by Paul240480 »

My daughter is our Citroen owner with her trusty litle Saxo! I so wish she'd wash it once in a while, let alone wax it :roll:

Tis a veritable 'skip' inside most of the time too! :evil:

Clearly, she never caught my love of washing & polishing cars :!:
Paul240480
http://www.gitessouthbrittany.com/Car.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Synergietom
My Cars:

Post by Synergietom »

cant remember when i last cleaned the synergie but did give xantia a quick rinse when i bought it i dont really clean my cars as the dirt isually the only thing holding them together plus its harder to find faults at the mot test on a filthy car
Yipee i have the xant lets i hope i keep her this time
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I wouldn't even like to think how long it would take to wax the 807. It gets some water slapped on it whenever the kids nag enough (they are still young enough to find car washing fun).
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

Is wax the same as polish?
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hi Napoleon. No its not....although some polishes provide a finished "waxed" look.

Polish is a cleaner...so is a very fine cut whoch helps restore the colour and shines it up. Wax is a protective layer which seals in the polished finish and protects it from losing its finish for longer.

To get a bigger idea on the processes have a look around on
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

:wink:

Once youve spent a day (although this can be broken down into stages) cleaning the paint and sealing it with a good wax, then all it will need is a careful wash once a week or so when it gets dirty...then re wax once a month (if that) depending on what wax youve used and how long it lasts.

Alot of it is down to personal preference...ie what kind of finish you want and how much time you want to spend keeping your car looking tip top :)

I like my car to look clean pretty much all of the time, but i wash mine when it gets dirty (usually once a week or so) and only wax if i can be bothered or if i have a reason to (car show, day out etc)....once the paint is polished up well then keeping it cleaned through washing will maintain a good paint look indefinately

A great tried and tested cheap combination polish/wax and sealant combo is Autoglym super resin polish topped off with Autogylm Extra Gloss Protection...Doesnt cost the earth and protects for up to a month or so :)
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...
scratcher
My Cars:

how often do you polish your French car

Post by scratcher »

Hi, I did not know that one had to polish a french car!
Xantia vsx
GSA 1300
Previous AMI8 estate
GS1015
GSA1300 estate
BX16
BX17d
BX19destate
BX19d
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

vince wrote: I like my car to look clean pretty much all of the time, but i wash mine when it gets dirty (usually once a week or so) and only wax if i can be bothered or if i have a reason to (car show, day out etc)....once the paint is polished up well then keeping it cleaned through washing will maintain a good paint look indefinately
There speaks the voice of a master..... :lol: :lol: :lol: I could brush my hair using the mirror shine on Vince's car (well, the bit I've got left). :wink:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: how often do you polish your French car

Post by myglaren »

scratcher wrote:Hi, I did not know that one had to polish a french car!
Never heard of French Polish? :)

Actually, I could do with some advice on which machine polisher to buy vince! I have collected some horrendous scratches from some bushes in my parking area (going to murder them on dark night with old engine oil and possibly fire :twisted: ) that need polishing out.
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

I like to dedicate a good 6 or 7 hours cleaning and polishing the car inside and out every month or so ,i find a good polish keeps the car cleaner for longer or maybe its just me :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
Napoleon
My Cars:

Post by Napoleon »

I've never done is since with a vehicle, but when i ran a 400/4 Honda, I used to part dismantle it to polish every damned part I could. The frame, the engine, hoses, exhaust, in and around the instrument cluster, mirror under the bike to see the bits underneath.

Used to take avery long time. I loved that bike.

i sold to a bloke who blew the engine up, and when he fixed that he drove it into the side of a car.

What a waste.
Tim
2009 HV09 C5 2.2
1996 N679 Xantia TD VSX estate - sold August 2012
1995 M289 Xantia TD SX hatch - sold March 2012

Tarte au Citroen

2009 24" iMac 3.06GHZ
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

The difference between polish and wax ...

Polish can get rid or dull down scratches, removed swirl marks (if done right with clean cloths and often turned cloths, otherwise swirls are made), cleans paint to remove road grime. So in general a polish prepares the paintwork ready for a wax - some polishes do have a mild wax included.

Waxing is to protect the paintwork, it gives it a thing layer of wax protection and keeps the paintwork looking better. Usually waxing makes the car stay cleaner longer. Especially good in the winter when salt is trying to attack your paintwork.

Which is why i say waxing is no good without polishing. As your just sealing in the grime and muck, you might no see it ut its there and the cars isnt as clean as it should be. Before a wax is applied the cars paint must feel like glass, with no roughness.

If im doing a good cleaning session then i use a paint cleaner before a polish, as they cleans the paint before the polish prepares the conditon.

I do rarely get around to doing this though and ive ot yet done m5 C5 since ive had it - 6 months. It does get washed about every week to two weeks, along with being hoovered.

I hate dirty cars, really annoys me.

I usually have to clean our other cars too, as no one else bothers. So by the time ive cleaned them all im not really bothered about polishing. Every so often ill give them a good clean and polishing, but i keep them all quite clean all of the time.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I washed the Xantia about 2 years / 40k miles ago. I think the Picasso has been washed once in the 25k miles we've had it. Mind you, it looks like the council have been shovelling salt into the door jambs on the Xantia, so perhaps I ought to rinse it off.... :?

I did T-Cut a pink (it was supposed to be red!) BX TD once, then polished it. It looked good for about a week, then went pink again, so I didn't bother after that.

Life is much, much, much too short for that sort of shennanigans 8-)
Richard W