Nice to be back!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Nice to be back!

Post by addo »

Just spent the best part of a fortnight working away in the backwoods of Australia's deep south. No phone reception, no internet, tank water only. Saw the same three other people every day. Put in some long hours and lost a fair bit of weight - the "trews" now need a belt!

Arrived home to discover no new rotors or pads delivered for the Xantia - argh! :x So, Paris the 405 has been working hard as #1 car. Visa card in hand, I tried to shout her some Goodridge brake hoses. "Sorry, Paypal only for overseas sales". Double damn.

Overall, though, I missed FCF. It's my internet equivalent of a cuppa and chat with people you know. Reckon that's proof those who "make it happen" here, do a pretty decent job.

Cheers, Adam.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Welcome back Ads, hope the project is going well :) know what you mean about internet and phone..! i have another 2 weeks without :( at least I can get online at work.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ahh jgra, 2 weeks without a phone.... what are they doing running it from the exchange for you ;)

Addo nice to see you back. wondered why you had gone quiet :D

Any parts you need let us know as im sure we can source stuff in the UK and ship it over as a gift for you :)
XantiaDaveEire
My Cars:

Post by XantiaDaveEire »

Welcome back man,its good to get away from the "real " world every and again :lol:
1998 Xantia 1.9 TD 186k
2008 C4 grand Picasso exclusive 105k #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good to see you back Adam,

I was wondering just the other day where you were!

Sounds like a good adventure :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sadly, work was #1 priority, so I could only gaze at the landscapes and sigh... Client didn't really want me taking photographs either.

As a committed technophobe, trying to wrestle Paypal and my "slush" account into mesh has been challenging tonight. I think it's sorted, and still hate PP much as the last time I used it (late 2008).

Sydney is in the grip of its third straight week of rain - fortunately I'm mostly working indoors for the next week and a half!

As a funny aside, I was nearly nicked by the Federal Police whilst waiting for my return flight. A scruffy guy with a beard caused them great concern (they chased me down with a divvy van :shock: ) until they spoke to me and realised I was quite good-humoured and coherent (didn't have to go so far as citing Lev 19:27)...

Returning to the thrust of my initial post, though - it's so nice to be back in familiar company. :tgif:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

Ahh jgra, 2 weeks without a phone....
I did test a myth last night.. I grabbed my laptop, the vodaphone dongle, and sat in a chair in the garden and pointed a spare satellite dish with dongle dangling in front of it - at the nearest town :twisted: I managed to pick up 3g+ !! instead of (very patchy) dial up :lol:

i couldn'[t type or anything as my hands were full. will conduct a more thorough test soon...

:twisted:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If you get a hauwei E881e device there is an aerial port on it which allows external connectivity.. i tested a little with an old long piece of wire in the office and it double the signal strength the device picked up :)

the standard aerial you can buy from orange for about £8 is pretty good and works better on trains than the trains own wifi service!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

http://www.instructables.com/id/Uni-Dir ... -Extender/

:lol:

I think a large sat dish can extend range into kilometers, from meters :D